McClain gone

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GSx
Emerald Circle

McClain gone

Post by GSx »

" 1m1 minute ago
More
I have officially transferred from Tulane . I am back open for recruitment"

(this is Khalil McClain)

They need to get Scott (or call back Cuiellette)
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Re: McClain gone

Post by Saintgreenie »

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Baywave1 wrote:I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.
Unfortunately I'm less optimistic than him.

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Saintgreenie wrote:

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.
To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Saintgreenie wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:

To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.
Mizzo QB is returning
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

That's definitely a plus in our favor. I guess we'll know for sure his decision on us soon (officially has until the 19th to enroll I believe).

FWIW, we also offered QB Riley Smith out of FL yesterday (don't know a ton about him other than a ton of non-P5 offers; highlights remind me a lot of Banks based on eye test).
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

There's been rumors of this for a while over on Rivals. I can't imagine it has anything to do with Scott...you couldn't ask for a more wide open depth chart.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If you go back and listen to FTW's interview with Graf from before our opening game this past season, it sounded like WF was very high on McClain, that he'd be next in line after Banks, and that he was only third string this year due to lack of experience. "Heir apparent", if you will. While it's possible that his position with WF declined over the course of the year (perhaps he showed he has some limitations not seen in preseason), the timing of this announcement strikes me as him knowing something that we don't, perhaps about Scott's plans. Personally, I'm not expecting us to get Scott, but why else would McClain's announcement happen now and not several weeks ago? Another angle: did first semester grades just come back?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I had high hopes for McClain, have to wonder what happened.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

Does Ledford go back to QB if we don't pick up another one now?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

tjtlja wrote:I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.
I am not for the without limitations. I would argue that perhaps they should get an extra transfer red-shirt year on top of red-shirt year.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

There is also Miles Lapeyere as a walk-on.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote:Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.
Banks and Daniels (incoming FR)...who else on scholarship?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

long green wrote:Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.
This is all pretty insane, especially if we don't land Scott or the equivalent.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

tjtlja wrote:QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.
It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.
It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.
Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.
don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

The Advocate ...

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... af32a.html

nothing really new here, as reported on recruiting forum ... we have offered another QB scholarship.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doc wrote:I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down
That would open some eyes, wouldn't it?

Good to hear from you doc, hope all is well.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.
Agreed