Junior Diaz Transfering

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Junior Diaz Transfering

Unread post by long green »

What I was told, it had nothing to do with the staff being at fault or with any inherent Tulane flaw. He graduated, and was a free agent. Literally.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

waverider wrote:I know he'll be older and have more experience now, but when Diaz went out there was a noticeable difference with Leglue at center.

My initial thought was that he was going to Miami or somewhere close to home.
He's not going to Miami, as in the University of. He might be going somewhere else in Florida.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

No one on this board other than TU23 or FTW may have any real insight as to why Diaz left. The rest of the stuff we read on here is hearsay. It has been proven over and over. I just hope the staff wasn’t blindsided by Diaz or the QB everyone was saying was the next coming.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SlidellWave »

Evidently Diaz has caught the attention of the Vanderbilt staff as they are looking into him.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

hey, it's Junior's decision.. congrats on the two degrees and wish him well... however, Leglue had the same opportunity and is staying... just sayin'
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

long green wrote:What I was told, it had nothing to do with the staff being at fault or with any inherent Tulane flaw. He graduated, and was a free agent. Literally.
The Diaz situation feels like the Davis situation. The rare case where we have a really good 5th year graduate, so they become free agents.
Other transfers (Conroy) were clear tampering; players are less likely to be susceptible to it with stronger/better coaching.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote:
long green wrote:What I was told, it had nothing to do with the staff being at fault or with any inherent Tulane flaw. He graduated, and was a free agent. Literally.
The Diaz situation feels like the Davis situation. The rare case where we have a really good 5th year graduate, so they become free agents.
Other transfers (Conroy) were clear tampering; players are less likely to be susceptible to it with stronger/better coaching.
And that is the rub. I think rjc is right about Tulane in that the last regime did not care to win, only to show up. Thus, we got coaches of the likes of Conroy (a fourth choice to come here), CJ (a fifth choice), Toledo (no one was knocking on his door to come coach), Dickerson (maybe a decent choice, but a failure as a HC) and Scelfo (how anyone could muck up the hiring of RichRod, I'll never understand). Until the ship is righted, we'll lose more talent due to this rule than we'll ever bring in. Yeah, we got Davenport, who is really the only player of consequence I can think of; but if you consider who we have lost in just MBB alone, it is very one-sided. Baseball may be a break-even in this regard, but it is not the big money sports the other two are.

Now that the last regime is histoire, let's hope the new boss is not the same as the old boss. I don't think so, but we shall see. As for Diaz, it'll be interesting to see where he lands--it will tell us a lot.
Plan your work, work your plan.
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

Lester Ricard and Micah Owings were decent players.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

LondonWave wrote:Lester Ricard and Micah Owings were decent players.
Forgot about Lester. Owings was in baseball, which I said was not the money sport--and at the time we had competent coaching--to GSx's point.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

JP Losman was kinda good, too
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote:players are less likely to be susceptible to it with stronger/better coaching. IF WE START WINNING
FIFY
LondonWave
Coach Level

Unread post by LondonWave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
JP Losman was kinda good, too
David Whitmore.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Michael Christian
Greg Dini
Sehic
Cornish
Dauphine
Granier
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

tjtlja wrote:Michael Christian
Greg Dini
Sehic
Cornish
Dauphine
Granier
There was this Montalbano kid that was pretty good as well.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

That would be ironic if he goes to vandy. Didn't we just get a grad student o-line transfer from vandy?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

NJwave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Michael Christian
Greg Dini
Sehic
Cornish
Dauphine
Granier
There was this Montalbano kid that was pretty good as well.

NJWave, thanks for that. Wish he was lacing them up still. Getting that baseball itch.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

I was actually talking about graduate school transfers, but since we are discussing all transfers, here are some on the negative side of the ledger:

Osetkowski
Callahan
Pinckney
Stark
Mouton (who were the others in that class who left? Perhaps someone has a better memory--Rashard Allen?)
Fitzgerald
J. Davis
Rochestie
Tarrant

Quinn
Brister
Veal

I'm sure I'm leaving others out. Until we win, transfers are a bad deal for the Tulane's of the world.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Rotorooter wrote:Mouton (who were the others in that class who left?...
The other big name was Chris Owens, a big strong power forward who transferred to Texas. He had a decent career there, I believe (played a lot but never really set the world on fire). And of course, Mouton won a national title as the starting two guard next to All-American Juan Dixon at Maryland.

I always wished Owens had stayed and done well at Tulane because I envisioned the marketing tie-ins and jokes regarding the famous burlesque place on Bourbon Street... 8)
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

in the late 2000's seems like 1/2 of our good baseballl players were transfers.

hunt, zeid, petiton, prince, the SP from Arky who started first game at Turchin. Honeck was a JC guy,
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

PeteRasche wrote:
The other big name was Chris Owens, a big strong power forward who transferred to Texas. He had a decent career there, I believe (played a lot but never really set the world on fire). And of course, Mouton won a national title as the starting two guard next to All-American Juan Dixon at Maryland.

I always wished Owens had stayed and done well at Tulane because I envisioned the marketing tie-ins and jokes regarding the famous burlesque place on Bourbon Street... 8)
Owens started on Texas' Elite 8 team. Mouton started on Maryland's national title team. Demetric Shaw started on Kent State's Sweet 16 team. We also had Solomon Huges a 7-footer committed, who never signed, and went on to start for Cal. Add them to LeDaryl Billingsley, and if those guys had all stayed, imagine how good we would have been.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

FW wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Owens started on Texas' Elite 8 team. Mouton started on Maryland's national title team. Demetric Shaw started on Kent State's Sweet 16 team. We also had Solomon Huges a 7-footer committed, who never signed, and went on to start for Cal. Add them to LeDaryl Billingsley, and if those guys had all stayed, imagine how good we would have been.
With Shawn Finney as their coach? Hmmm.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Owens was home sick and wanted to go home ...
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

FW wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I am convinced if we had gotten Kerry Kittles when Rollie Massimino stepped down, we would have won the national championship. Broke my heart we he re-committed to Villanova.

And what a loss Demetric Shaw turned out to be. He was an afterthought in that class.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

FW wrote: Owens started on Texas' Elite 8 team. Mouton started on Maryland's national title team. Demetric Shaw started on Kent State's Sweet 16 team. We also had Solomon Huges a 7-footer committed, who never signed, and went on to start for Cal. Add them to LeDaryl Billingsley, and if those guys had all stayed, imagine how good we would have been.
And they'd have kept most of those guys had Dickson and Cowen not run-off Clark.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:I am convinced if we had gotten Kerry Kittles when Rollie Massimino stepped down, we would have won the national championship. Broke my heart we he re-committed to Villanova.
As I've posted before, quoting a certain unnamed assistant coach of ours at the time, "we couldn't afford him."

Side note, if you care: Kerry hung around our practices, played with us in summer pick-up games, and appeared a done deal to come to Tulane. Of course, he was teammates at St. Aug with Pointer Williams. I don't think any of us knew he'd be that good. As a 6'4-ish high schooler he was basically playing F/C, so he'd come play against us and end up playing F/C... I guarded him many times and pushed him around... otherwise he was going against Anthony Reed, Matt Greene, Carlin Hartman, or even Matt Popp. He certainly blossomed as a guard at Villanova. Of course, having complete green light will help that. :wink: )