Coach Jewett meeting

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Coach Jewett meeting

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Hi everyone. Just passing on some baseball information. Coach came meet with our club down on the Bayou Monday night. He was very excited about the upcoming season & did say he wanted to apologize for missing the post season last year & took a lot of the blame himself. He stated it took him longer than he expected to get his message to the older players & that scrimmaging was hard with not having a healthy catcher. At points he said they literally had to get catchers to roll a ball back to pitchers since none could throw.. lol. He said it was all a great learning experience, & just when they turned the corner, they just flat out ran out of gas. He stated he understood everything from the players perspective, but that sooner or later everyone has to be on the same page. He stated he would miss all those guys.

He talked about being able to get a good balance of upper & lower classmen by JUCO signings. He said there is no accident his pitchers look like they could play for Fritz b/c he likes them bigguns. He said our pitching will surprise some people & that he has some lefty matchups on the pitching & hitting sides now. He was very excited about added depth & having a few guys that can play all over the place.

He also stated the schedule will be tough but that is what they want. He stated they play UNO 3 times & are trying to put some kind of like Pelican Cup thingy together for the winner. He said recruiting is way ahead of last year. 2019 & also 2020 are looking great since they are able to get a good system in place heading into year #2. Kinda sucks that this year Nicholls is not on the schedule so we can see a game in our backyard.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Coach Jewett meeting

Unread post by wavedom »

Thanks for the run down on the meeting.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Thanks.

My outlook on this season is if the returning players have improved, the incoming players are as good as we hope and Jewett is worth his weight as a coach, there’s no reason to think we shouldn’t be improved this season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Yeah, thanks BW. Baseball is so important to the fan base having Coach J be upbeat and looking forward to the upcoming the season and to the '19 & '20 classes gives me a good feeling.

As a side note - how is the crayfish season looking this spring??
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Very welcome. As far as crawfish goes....the cold weather hasn't helped much...lol
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

BACONWAVE wrote:Very welcome. As far as crawfish goes....the cold weather hasn't helped much...lol
Temperature right now isn't my worry - it's rain. Expecting a wetter than normal spring? Don't mean to jack the thread, but early season crawfish predictions are important.
waverider
Cornerstone

sr wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:Very welcome. As far as crawfish goes....the cold weather hasn't helped much...lol
Temperature right now isn't my worry - it's rain. Expecting a wetter than normal spring? Don't mean to jack the thread, but early season crawfish predictions are important.
NOAA just released their outlook for the next couple months. Expected to be drier than normal which isn't good for crawfish season.
Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

waverider wrote:
sr wrote:
NOAA just released their outlook for the next couple months. Expected to be drier than normal which isn't good for crawfish season.
Only in New Orleans. I love it! :-D
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

He said our pitching will surprise some people & that he has some lefty matchups on the pitching & hitting sides now. He was very excited about added depth
Yikes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:
He said our pitching will surprise some people & that he has some lefty matchups on the pitching & hitting sides now. He was very excited about added depth
Yikes
I was surprised at how bad it was
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

gerryb323 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Yikes
I was surprised at how bad it was
:lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

Wavemania
President's Circle

Unread post by Wavemania »

Ed Daniels article in Clarion Herald is spot on!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Wavemania wrote:Ed Daniels article in Clarion Herald is spot on!
As discussed elsewhere, you can't just "give baseball 3-5 scholarships" that are academic or need-based unless there is equal opportunity for all students for those scholarships. THAT is how Rice got Rendon and Vandy got Price.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
As discussed elsewhere, you can't just "give baseball 3-5 scholarships" that are academic or need-based unless there is equal opportunity for all students for those scholarships. THAT is how Rice got Rendon and Vandy got Price.
Yup, after I searched and found the article (hint, hint) I figured if it were that easy it would have already been done.

However, TD needs to get together with Fitts and put their thinking caps on, or else just admit defeat and take what we get.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Yup, after I searched and found the article (hint, hint)
The article is such a momentous truth that each must seek it out, on their own.
Victory is never permanent
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Thus spake our Lord and Savior, Ed Daniels:
https://clarionherald.org/2018/05/23/cr ... -baseball/
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Change your name to Moses.
Victory is never permanent
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
As already noted above the things he talks about can't be done so while he means well he offered nothing here worthwhile.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
OGSB wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
As already noted above the things he talks about can't be done so while he means well he offered nothing here worthwhile.
Right. You realize I was the one who said that before...
This article is a lazy piece of trash, not that it's surprising considering the source. Just terrible.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

I do and I apologize for a poor job of quoting. I meant to quote the post from OGSB. Sorry.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Of course it can be done without discriminating against the student body.

I have negotiated with Tulane for need based income and was actually able to get some extra money by explaining in detail my family’s financial situation. Really no different than anyone else who attends Tulane and request need based income. Now if Tulane would stack the baseball scholarship on top of this income, then you have something cooking. Not every Tulane student attending Tulane deserves an athletic scholarship. Rice does it and to date, no lawsuits that I am aware of. Maybe Coach Jones can explain how this actually works at other schools. Does this fall under the Napoleonic code?
Last edited by tjtlja on Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Did Coach TJ really say our pitching would surprise? In what way? Did they throw strikes in the fall? He must have loved what he was seeing Dickinson do with their guys. Very informative quote.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

tjtlja wrote:Of course it can be done without discriminating against the student body.

I have negotiated with Tulane for need based income and was actually able to get some extra money by explaining in detail my family’s financial situation. Really no different than anyone else who attends Tulane and request need based income. Now if Tulane would stack the baseball scholarship on top of this income, then you have something cooking. Not every Tulane student attending Tulane deserves an athletic scholarship. Rice does it and to date, now lawsuits. Maybe Coach Jones can explain how this actually works at other schools. Does this fall under the Napoleonic code?
No school can stack baseball money with need based income. It's against NCAA rules. We know that doesn't fit your narrative but that's the case and has been said here several times over. Rice doesn't do anything that only affects the baseball team. It's program is available to all students. Write a multi-billion dollar check to the endowment if you want the situation to change
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Sorry, but you are not correct. Living in this area, my son was fortunate to play summer ball in high school with six players that attended Rice. Then he played ball with four more in Santa Barbara. Rice offers scholarship money plus (plus) need based income. There is nothing illegal about it. It is a private institution that simply decides to give need base income based on criteria that have drawn up and if there is someone on athletic scholarship they choose to add it on. At Tulane, you get the higher of the two and in Jeremy’s case his junior year, need base was higher and it freed up some additional money for Coach Pierce to sign Spoon and other player very late in the summer of 2016.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

It's an NCAA rule. Rice has a program that let's hispanics go for free but applies to the whole student body.
Last edited by wavedom on Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.