Temple Wins Going Away

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Re: Temple Wins Going Away

Post by GreenieBacker »

according to Gerry Smith he was elbowed in the chest on a legal pick causing something like a chest sprain. Not sure there is any info on how long he'll be out.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:according to Gerry Smith he was elbowed in the chest on a legal pick causing something like a chest sprain. Not sure there is any info on how long he'll be out.
I've actually had this injury before. It is painful and makes it hard to rest (it hurts every time you take a breath; I can only imagine how it would feel if you were actually exerting yourself). Obviously, Melvin's in far better shape than I ever was but it took a very unpleasant few weeks to heal for me.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:according to Gerry Smith he was elbowed in the chest on a legal pick causing something like a chest sprain. Not sure there is any info on how long he'll be out.
He's a player who especially uses his arms and reach. The trainer hyperextended his shoulders behind him in an extreme stretch to try to prepare him to get back into the game but it was ineffective. It's a bizarre injury. Healing time? I'm hoping he's back for ECU game on Valentine's but maybe I'm just being overly cautious. Perhaps he does play at Tulsa on Thursday. But I suspect Gretna may be right. Regardless he needs to be full speed by March 1 if possible.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Crazy injury. Wasn't even the elbow. The guy's arm was straight down and Frazier just ran into him. On replay it almost looked like Frazier didn't see him standing there.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I was watching the action elsewhere and never saw what happened but Frazier went down like a rock when he got clipped. The Ref's even went to the monitor to verify it wasn't a foul. Sadly, it was just one of those bizarre things. And a shame for many reasons, I love watching Frazier play defense, he was already frustrating the guy he was defending and looked like he could have had a good game. Hate sprain injuries, recuperation time is so hard to predict.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

GreenieBacker wrote:I was watching the action elsewhere and never saw what happened but Frazier went down like a rock when he got clipped. The Ref's even went to the monitor to verify it wasn't a foul. Sadly, it was just one of those bizarre things. And a shame for many reasons, I love watching Frazier play defense, he was already frustrating the guy he was defending and looked like he could have had a good game. Hate sprain injuries, recuperation time is so hard to predict.
I actually don't think it is bizarre. It's really bad communication by his teammates. Somebody should be screaming at the top of their lungs "Screen. Screen." Nobody should ever get blind sided by a screen unless it is a moving screen or the guy raises his arms. Running in to a screen that you didn't realize was there is on your teammates.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:I was watching the action elsewhere and never saw what happened but Frazier went down like a rock when he got clipped. The Ref's even went to the monitor to verify it wasn't a foul. Sadly, it was just one of those bizarre things. And a shame for many reasons, I love watching Frazier play defense, he was already frustrating the guy he was defending and looked like he could have had a good game. Hate sprain injuries, recuperation time is so hard to predict.
I actually don't think it is bizarre. It's really bad communication by his teammates. Somebody should be screaming at the top of their lungs "Screen. Screen." Nobody should ever get blind sided by a screen unless it is a moving screen or the guy raises his arms. Running in to a screen that you didn't realize was there is on your teammates.
This. He got clocked previously too (Houston, I believe), which probably led to him being ejected because, as we surmised, the jawing going on seemed to occur after he was flattened by a screen. And that's all on his teammates.

I've had the injury. It's brutal. Can't move your arms, can't breathe, hurts even when you are laying down trying to rest. I'm sure they'll be using stimulation therapy to try to fix it sooner but there's only so much you can do.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Frazier was a 4 Star recruit. And you're right in that I think he could use another year of coaching by this Staff. The improvement he's made in his game since Dunleavy took over has been jaw dropping. When he came here he had no outside shot (much less a three point shot) his FT shooting was poor and he looked undisciplined and raw. He's a much, much more polished player today. Another year here would benefit him, but if he's drafted (or thinks he will be) he's gone.
Here's the tell on Frazier. When he was a frosh under Conroy it seemed in pre-game and half-time warmups, all he would do is practice dunks. Guess what you got in games? This season he rarely warms up with a dunk. More than once I've seen him shoot FTs for ten minutes plus (or whatever.)
We can credit Dunleavy for developing him, but at least as much credit has to go to Frazier for listening and putting in the work to improve. Also, as much as it pains me, credit to Conroy for signing him in the first place.
I don't think Conroy gets a lot of credit there. The sites rated him highly and they probably did that without ever seeing him play in person. Once schools truly started their recruiting process and did see him they saw him for what he was then: a four star athlete that was a project as a basketball player. So EC got lucky as he fell to us. The same thing is going on with these early predictions of him being a first round draft pick. Once the NBA scouts start looking they'll see the many gaps in his game that many of us see. If anyone can tell him if he should go or not it will be MD. I believe he'll break it down to him and hopefully he'll listen and stay. MD promotes that he can get players into the NBA if they come play for him. His argument isn't well served if Frazier declares and either doesn't end up getting drafted or doesn't make it if he does. This will be an interesting process.
When you say that other schools backed off of him, are you just supposing that or is there any real info there? Either way, sometimes you have to get lucky and I'm certainly not going to discount Conroy's biggest recruiting coup.
That's what I was told by people working in the program at that time.
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:When you say that other schools backed off of him, are you just supposing that or is there any real info there? Either way, sometimes you have to get lucky and I'm certainly not going to discount Conroy's biggest recruiting coup.
I think people are forgetting he's Lou Dabney's cousin... which played a lot into his decision to come to Tulane. Dabney was a heavy drinker of the Conroy Koolade. I would have loved to see a couple of years of Dabney under Dunleavy.. we sure could use him right now.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

tjtlja wrote:Looking forward to next year, I think we will be pretty much the same as we are this year. We haven’t signed any PG’s or bigs. We will be a mirror image of what we are now unless we sign additional guys and as of now we don’t have room. We will be very competitive but can we move to the top echelon of the league?
We're going to lose our two leading scorers, and I don't think we really have much coming in next season to help.

I think next season might be a step back, unless guys like Caleb Daniels really step it up.
TulaneTiger
Navigator Level

Post by TulaneTiger »

waverider wrote:
Crazy injury. Wasn't even the elbow. The guy's arm was straight down and Frazier just ran into him. On replay it almost looked like Frazier didn't see him standing there.
Temple was setting moving screens the entire game. It was crap.