Temple Wins Going Away

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Temple Wins Going Away

Post by tjtlja »

Losing Frazier really hurt. Cornish played well. The ball was in Ona Embo’s hands way too much down the stretch. Temple’s PG’s broke us down very easily, something we desperately need. And to have some bigs would really help. Temple playing us man to man again was baffling. Good effort given the five who were on the court.

Looking forward to next year, I think we will be pretty much the same as we are this year. We haven’t signed any PG’s or bigs. We will be a mirror image of what we are now unless we sign additional guys and as of now we don’t have room. We will be very competitive but can we move to the top echelon of the league?
Last edited by tjtlja on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Re: Temple Wins Going Away

Post by NJwave »

We played hard but not smart. Too many open looks and in crunch time the wrong guys had the ball. We took advantages of matchups until the time when it really counted.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

NJ, if Frazier is not on the court, who do we want with the ball? Ona Embo is not a PG. Cornish is not a PG. Reynolds is predominantly a left handed player. Daniels, I don’t know. Sehic, no way. Slater, probably. We just don’t have a PG. Temple had two which continually broke us down. I really believe if we had a PG like Stark or Tarrant, this team would win 20+ games. And that is with no bigs and poor rebounding.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

At this time we have 3 open scholarships for next year and only 2 have been filled.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Frustrating game to lose. Key stat: after taking the lead late on Cornish’s 3 pointer with a little over 6 min. left, we didn’t score another basket. Not one.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

As Graff noted on his post game, in today’s game you have to be able to score 3 pointers, it’s an integral part of the game. We made a total of three. All by Cornish. Hopefully the guys we have signed for next year can help us there.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

loose with the ball in last two minutes, kept getting stripped. nice game by sehic, but could not hit free throws. should have probably won this game. too bad
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Yankeewave wrote:loose with the ball in last two minutes, kept getting stripped. nice game by sehic, but could not hit free throws. should have probably won this game. too bad
You may want to check on windy...I had to miss the game, but went back later to check attom's scoreboard. Last we saw of windy, he was in the throes of apoplexy. Then he stopped posting, and no further action on the thread...
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:loose with the ball in last two minutes, kept getting stripped. nice game by sehic, but could not hit free throws. should have probably won this game. too bad
You may want to check on windy...I had to miss the game, but went back later to check attom's scoreboard. Last we saw of windy, he was in the throes of apoplexy. Then he stopped posting, and no further action on the thread...
My annoyance was with the officiating

There's a football game on
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Hard one to take. We could have won it and let it go.

We have to get a PG with that last scholarship. We lose Reynolds and according to some we'll likely lose Frazier. We may take a step back rather than forward. The last one we give is very important.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

losing Frazier next year would be a blow. When he went out I kept thinking that we would get a preview of what that would be like and it wasn't pretty. As exciting as Frazier is offensively, we tend to underestimate how good a defensive player he is. Typically he's put on the opponents best player and he plays the whole game, with no breaks. He would have been a difference maker in the Temple game.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

We win this game with Frazier. Tulane basically played 5 players almost the entire game. The players looked tired and shooting suffered at the end. I was very pleased with the effort. The bench will be stronger next year. Better shooting is coming. S Barrett should be healthy and we will see what he brings to the table. We will also see what Ajang and Koka have to offer. I am optimistic.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

At 13-9 it is time to start playing the two freshman important minutes to try and speed up their development. We need inside help desperately.

I personally don't think Frazier is ready for the NBA, but if he is going to be picked in the first round he should go. It would really, really hurt if he doesn't come back. He should go to the combine without hiring an agent and leave himself the option to come back if the scouts tell him he won't be picked in the first round.

Most of all, we need to start getting some 4 star recruits. The top teams in the league all get 4 star recruits and the occasional 5 star recruit. It's tough to do without winning, but we can't keep recruiting projects and expect to win. The two guys next year look like they could be finds, but who knows. It's why we have no depth. Being honest the last two classes have been somewhat disappointing. We hit on Daniels, Cornish and Sehic are nice pieces and Ona-Embo is a contributor.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Frazier was a 4 Star recruit. And you're right in that I think he could use another year of coaching by this Staff. The improvement he's made in his game since Dunleavy took over has been jaw dropping. When he came here he had no outside shot (much less a three point shot) his FT shooting was poor and he looked undisciplined and raw. He's a much, much more polished player today. Another year here would benefit him, but if he's drafted (or thinks he will be) he's gone.

I would change my starting lineup and start Sehic (he just brings much more to the table than Paul does) and I would begin giving Ajang some minutes as the first "Big Guy" off the bench. Those minutes will pay off next year. As much as I've liked Paul, his game has regressed to the point that he's pretty much nothing more than a shot blocker. He really doesn't rebound and has little if any offense.

I would redshirt the other kid from the Sudan, I just don't see it happening for him right now.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

If someone predicted Temple would win this game outside and Tulane would almost win it inside, we would have heckled the poster into silence.

This was the most enjoyable Tulane style of play I have witnessed in years. Great transition play with few turnovers and decent rebounding. Too bad outside shooting is still in a slump but Dunleavy and staff to their credit had a game plan to succeed despite that and even the injury to Frazier. Tulane did simply wear out in the end.

FWIW both the S. Sudanese guys are projects and especially Koka are several years away from being difference makers. However Dunleavy has shown he can ramp up development schedules as he did with Frazier. If Melvin leaves, I can't guess how next season plays out although the two recruits to date seem positive additions.

Clearly Tulane does need a breakthrough recruit(s). Talent matters. Effort, conditioning and coaching can only take one so far.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GreenieBacker wrote:Frazier was a 4 Star recruit. And you're right in that I think he could use another year of coaching by this Staff. The improvement he's made in his game since Dunleavy took over has been jaw dropping. When he came here he had no outside shot (much less a three point shot) his FT shooting was poor and he looked undisciplined and raw. He's a much, much more polished player today. Another year here would benefit him, but if he's drafted (or thinks he will be) he's gone.
Here's the tell on Frazier. When he was a frosh under Conroy it seemed in pre-game and half-time warmups, all he would do is practice dunks. Guess what you got in games? This season he rarely warms up with a dunk. More than once I've seen him shoot FTs for ten minutes plus (or whatever.)
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

1. I was going to be optimistic about this club had they defeated Temple and got their league record to 5-5. Since it is now at 4-6, I do not see this club winning any more than 2 or 3 more games. Only 6 or 7 conference wins would still have them near the bottom of the AAC. This is improvement from last year, but there is still a long way for this program to go in this league.

2. When the Mardi Gras holidays are over, can we please retire the green, purple and gold look for good? Just wear the regular Tulane uniforms.

3. Someone explain to me why Frazier is considered NBA material now. He needs another year of development before he tries to enter the pro league. He also must get physically stronger to play in the 'bump-and-run' style of the NBA (sometimes it is 'crash-and-run') . What am I missing here?
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:Frazier was a 4 Star recruit. And you're right in that I think he could use another year of coaching by this Staff. The improvement he's made in his game since Dunleavy took over has been jaw dropping. When he came here he had no outside shot (much less a three point shot) his FT shooting was poor and he looked undisciplined and raw. He's a much, much more polished player today. Another year here would benefit him, but if he's drafted (or thinks he will be) he's gone.
Here's the tell on Frazier. When he was a frosh under Conroy it seemed in pre-game and half-time warmups, all he would do is practice dunks. Guess what you got in games? This season he rarely warms up with a dunk. More than once I've seen him shoot FTs for ten minutes plus (or whatever.)
We can credit Dunleavy for developing him, but at least as much credit has to go to Frazier for listening and putting in the work to improve. Also, as much as it pains me, credit to Conroy for signing him in the first place.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote:If someone predicted Temple would win this game outside and Tulane would almost win it inside, we would have heckled the poster into silence.

This was the most enjoyable Tulane style of play I have witnessed in years. Great transition play with few turnovers and decent rebounding. Too bad outside shooting is still in a slump but Dunleavy and staff to their credit had a game plan to succeed despite that and even the injury to Frazier. Tulane did simply wear out in the end.

FWIW both the S. Sudanese guys are projects and especially Koka are several years away from being difference makers. However Dunleavy has shown he can ramp up development schedules as he did with Frazier. If Melvin leaves, I can't guess how next season plays out although the two recruits to date seem positive additions.

Clearly Tulane does need a breakthrough recruit(s). Talent matters. Effort, conditioning and coaching can only take one so far.
You mentioned "few turnovers" but that's what did Tulane in down the stretch.. the strip of Cornish driving towards the lane and then the strip of Reynolds after he rebounded yet another horrible free throw attempt by Sehic cost us during a critical point of the game. Ona Embo drove the lane stupidly a little earlier than those two sequences, and also got stripped... while only committing 9 turnovers during the whole game, which is admirable.. those three were killers.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

IM42lane wrote:2. When the Mardi Gras holidays are over, can we please retire the green, purple and gold look for good? Just wear the regular Tulane uniforms.
Before they even wore them, Tulane issued a schedule of the games in which they will be worn. Four games, this past week and this coming weekend (Thursday and Sunday)... a.k.a., the two-week "main" Mardi Gras season. Give the school a little credit... why would they wear them after Fat Tuesday?

I don't know whether you don't like them, hate the inclusion of those two "other" colors, or think they're a jinx (or a combination of these), but for what it's worth, every Wave fan I've spoken with about them (in person, via text, through social media, etc.) absolutely LOVES them. Many folks said they hoped Tulane would sell replicas because they'd get one in a heartbeat - others said Tulane would be absolutely foolish not to auction off the game-worn authentics to raise money (either for athletics or some charity).
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
IM42lane wrote:2. When the Mardi Gras holidays are over, can we please retire the green, purple and gold look for good? Just wear the regular Tulane uniforms.
Before they even wore them, Tulane issued a schedule of the games in which they will be worn. Four games, this past week and this coming weekend (Thursday and Sunday)... a.k.a., the two-week "main" Mardi Gras season. Give the school a little credit... why would they wear them after Fat Tuesday?

I don't know whether you don't like them, hate the inclusion of those two "other" colors, or think they're a jinx (or a combination of these), but for what it's worth, every Wave fan I've spoken with about them (in person, via text, through social media, etc.) absolutely LOVES them. Many folks said they hoped Tulane would sell replicas because they'd get one in a heartbeat - others said Tulane would be absolutely foolish not to auction off the game-worn authentics to raise money (either for athletics or some charity).
They are going to be auctioned off. They announced that at yesterday's game.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

They are going to be auctioned off. They announced that at yesterday's game.
Yup, and as if on cue, I just received an email about the auction!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
We can credit Dunleavy for developing him, but at least as much credit has to go to Frazier for listening and putting in the work to improve. Also, as much as it pains me, credit to Conroy for signing him in the first place.
I don't think Conroy gets a lot of credit there. The sites rated him highly and they probably did that without ever seeing him play in person. Once schools truly started their recruiting process and did see him they saw him for what he was then: a four star athlete that was a project as a basketball player. So EC got lucky as he fell to us. The same thing is going on with these early predictions of him being a first round draft pick. Once the NBA scouts start looking they'll see the many gaps in his game that many of us see. If anyone can tell him if he should go or not it will be MD. I believe he'll break it down to him and hopefully he'll listen and stay. MD promotes that he can get players into the NBA if they come play for him. His argument isn't well served if Frazier declares and either doesn't end up getting drafted or doesn't make it if he does. This will be an interesting process.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I don't think Conroy gets a lot of credit there. The sites rated him highly and they probably did that without ever seeing him play in person. Once schools truly started their recruiting process and did see him they saw him for what he was then: a four star athlete that was a project as a basketball player. So EC got lucky as he fell to us. The same thing is going on with these early predictions of him being a first round draft pick. Once the NBA scouts start looking they'll see the many gaps in his game that many of us see. If anyone can tell him if he should go or not it will be MD. I believe he'll break it down to him and hopefully he'll listen and stay. MD promotes that he can get players into the NBA if they come play for him. His argument isn't well served if Frazier declares and either doesn't end up getting drafted or doesn't make it if he does. This will be an interesting process.
When you say that other schools backed off of him, are you just supposing that or is there any real info there? Either way, sometimes you have to get lucky and I'm certainly not going to discount Conroy's biggest recruiting coup.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

All lost in this talk about uniforms and the NBA is how is Melvin doing? What exactly was the injury?