Tulane WBB at Cincinnati

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Tulane WBB at Cincinnati

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Ugh. Sitting here in a high school gym (arena being renovated, they are playing at a high school) watching the ladies get blown out. 40-21 at half and it's not even that close.

Let's hope things go better in the second half.

Other than the 5 with me, there's maybe another 5 Wave fans here (at least who are bold enough to wear green).
GSx
Emerald Circle

Re: Tulane WBB at Cincinnati

Unread post by GSx »

Lose 83-52 to Cincinnati.
I would say it's as bad as it gets, until one turns to women's golf, which was top 15 2 years ago.
Come on Dannen - can't let these programs deteriorate like this.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Cincinnati was one step faster than us at every position. Morgan did not have a good game, being stymied at every turn and sitting the bench for quite a bit of the second half (I think CLS was trying to "shake things up?"). Still finished as our second leading scored with 11 (which says something). I didn't see any offensive rhythm... We ran the sets well, but couldn't get good looks (Cincinnati played good defense too). Couldn't hit a shot to save our lives.

Cincinnati's coach played at UConn and coached there under Geno for several years. She had them headed in the right direction.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Pete, just curious what was your estimate of physical count of UC fans there?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:Pete, just curious what was your estimate of physical count of UC fans there?
The high school gym apparently seats just over 1000 and it was mostly full. All seating is on one side (benches are on the other side and literally just have a wall behind them). The lower deck of seating was full. UC brought their full band which took about a quarter of the upper deck. We were at the other end of the upper deck and it was maybe 1/8 full. So... probably 600-700?

Long story short, it was perfect for them. It was a loud, close environment and definitely a good home court advantage, much more than having 700 people lost in a 13,000 seat arena.
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Unread post by Johnny4 »

It was a terrible game. Nothing went right. They double, sometimes triple teamed Kolby Morgan. She'd find someone for an open look and clang! off the rim. 2-23 from beyond the arc. It was a very physical game, which favored Cincinnati. Calls were very inconsistent. Players and coach Stockton were visually frustrated several times. A more hot-headed coach might have been ejected. 1-13 shooting in the second half doomed us. And when we weren't missing shots, we were turning the ball over (21 times). At least twice we threw passes and the girl on the receiving end had no idea the ball was coming. It was surprising to see our team play so poorly, especially this late in the season.

Pete - I was one of the other handful of Tulane fans there. If you saw someone in Tulane sweatshirt and hat holding a toddler, that was me! I was with my parents and we were about half way up across from our bench.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Johnny, I saw you and wondered if that was you. I was the guy in the upper deck with 4 2nd grade girls (brought a few from my daughter's team, in their uniform tops, conveniently green). We hung around after, the girls got to shoot on the floor, and got autographs from a few of the ladies who came out (only a handful did, they had to catch a plane quickly). Disappointed the coaches didn't come out but I imagine they weren't in the greatest mood anyway.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:Johnny, I saw you and wondered if that was you. I was the guy in the upper deck with 4 2nd grade girls (brought a few from my daughter's team, in their uniform tops, conveniently green).
You could have just said "I was the 6'11 guy wearing green." 8)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Unread post by Johnny4 »

Haha! Hard to tell sitting down! I definitely saw the girls in green jerseys, but chalked it up to coincidence.

We hung around after as well. I did see coach Frey on the way to our car (he was headed to the bus) and he said they had a 30 min + meeting in the locker room.