Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:42 pm
Posts: 199
Location: Connecticut
Looks like we have three 4-star players signed:

Dorian Camel - 247 Sports (though they haven't updated it in the database)
Alfred Thomas - ESPN
Jeffrey Johnson - ESPN

Rivals currently has Tulane's class nationally ranked 64th or 68th, depending on where you look at the data.

_________________
Tulane class of '79


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20083
Location: New Orleans
superb class. Really didn't miss or lose out on many recruits we seemed to really want. Some clearly big time recruits, some interesting under the radar guys (like the RB from Florida). Nice mix across the board. Only glaring miss is at QB where we are probably one short. Other than that, great job by the Staff.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:31 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18377
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 249
Location: River Ridge
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?

Currenlty 5th on 247 (Not yet updated for today). We could potentially jump up as high as 3rd (passing Houston and UCF) depending on what they did today.

We are 4th on Rivals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20972
Location: North Kenner
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?
per 247 we are 4th in the American

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20083
Location: New Orleans
this is the strongest finish of any WF recruiting class at Tulane.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 249
Location: River Ridge
Saintgreenie wrote:
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?

Currenlty 5th on 247 (Not yet updated for today). We could potentially jump up as high as 3rd (passing Houston and UCF) depending on what they did today.

We are 4th on Rivals.


I take that back, should have assumed UCF had a good day and they did. We're probably up to 4th on 247.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9890
GreenieBacker wrote:
superb class. Really didn't miss or lose out on many recruits we seemed to really want. Some clearly big time recruits, some interesting under the radar guys (like the RB from Florida). Nice mix across the board. Only glaring miss is at QB where we are probably one short. Other than that, great job by the Staff.

I think we're at least 2-3 short. On a normal team, you'd like to have 1 in every class for a total of 5...with as many hits as our QB takes, I wonder if Fritz would ideally like more?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6068
Location: Gretna, LA
Very solid finish to a solid class. Yes, another QB would have been ideal but I wouldn't trade any of today's signees for the panic signing it would have been at this juncture.

Is it spring practice yet? :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20083
Location: New Orleans
I'm just surprised we had three scholarships to give out. And WF made the most of them. Last year we were gashed time and again up the middle, well I think we have quite a few recruits that could turn that around next year. Tactically, the only mistake WF made, in my totally uninformed opinion, was the pursuit of Scott when it should have been clear earlier on that he was going to a P-5 Program, no matter if it was a dumpster fire like Kansas or one with an already established QB in place like Missouri. I wish he had let him go and instead concentrated on another QB candidate.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7068
Location: Wisconsin
SomeBiz wrote:
Looks like we have three 4-star players signed:

Dorian Camel - 247 Sports (though they haven't updated it in the database)
Alfred Thomas - ESPN
Jeffrey Johnson - ESPN

Rivals currently has Tulane's class nationally ranked 64th or 68th, depending on where you look at the data.

BIG TIME UPWARDS !!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:29 pm
Posts: 258
With Rivals checking in at #64, here are the last 12 recruiting classes' rankings at that site:

2018: 64
2017: 90
2016: 85
2015: Outside Top 100
2014: 82
2013: 77
2012: 81
2011: Outside Top 100
2010: Outside Top 100
2009: 96
2008: Outside Top 100
2007: Outside Top 100

I remember when Fritz was hired, a local recruiting guy commented to me that Tulane had never recruited at an "AAC level" in modern history, and he doubted that Fritz would be able to change that.

Impressed at what he was able to do after a 5-7 year. These guys actually know what they're doing.

_________________
- Twitter: @fearthewaveblog
- Tune In: FTWCast on iTunes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20083
Location: New Orleans
that is pretty amazing and sad all at the same time. A lot of years with Outside 100 rankings.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:26 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 501
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?
per 247 we are 4th in the American

AMerican Athletics Conference Recruiting Rankings via Rivals | NSD Update:

46. Cincy
56. USF
60. Houston
64. Tulane
72. UCF
76. Memphis
78. Temple
83. ECU
83. SMU
86. Tulsa
89. UConn
91. Navy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7068
Location: Wisconsin
Thanks for that run-down !!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:35 am
Posts: 2344
Tulane49 wrote:
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?
per 247 we are 4th in the American

AMerican Athletics Conference Recruiting Rankings via Rivals | NSD Update:

46. Cincy
56. USF
60. Houston
64. Tulane
72. UCF
76. Memphis
78. Temple
83. ECU
83. SMU
86. Tulsa
89. UConn
91. Navy


I know I said this before but I can't wait for next year when Fritz has a winning season, wins a bowl game and let's see what kind of recruiting he has next year.

_________________
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm
Posts: 10532
Location: Chicago
it seems like we would have been thrilled to have even one of these guys a couple years ago. we used to be excited if any of our players had a single P5 offer. this class seems to be on another level


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 821
No doubt a good class and a major upgrade from the past. Kudos to the staff for their hard work. It also appears we took full advantage of the new rules in place to get better players such as the early signing date and the tightening up on the 25 man limit. May the PTB not give in to the P5's who will seek changes to the new rules.

_________________
Sadly it's over


Last edited by wavedom on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7068
Location: Wisconsin
wavedom wrote:
No doubt a good class and a major upgrade from the past. Kudos to the staff for their hard work. It also appears we took full advantage of the new rules in place to get better players such as the early signing date and the tightening up on the 25 man limit. may the PTB not give in to the P5's who will seek changes to the new rules.

Not everyone in those conferences is a yearly top ten type recruiter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 501
2018 signing class

https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... ll/Commits


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:28 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 501
Preferred walk on from St Paul

https://twitter.com/noahseiden83/status ... 7776274432


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2743
fearthewave wrote:
With Rivals checking in at #64, here are the last 12 recruiting classes' rankings at that site:

2018: 64
2017: 90
2016: 85
2015: Outside Top 100
2014: 82
2013: 77
2012: 81
2011: Outside Top 100
2010: Outside Top 100
2009: 96
2008: Outside Top 100
2007: Outside Top 100

I remember when Fritz was hired, a local recruiting guy commented to me that Tulane had never recruited at an "AAC level" in modern history, and he doubted that Fritz would be able to change that.

Impressed at what he was able to do after a 5-7 year. These guys actually know what they're doing.


You said it all. Very impressive. Like I said before, WF gets Tulane and knows how to sell it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:29 pm
Posts: 2014
Location: Broadmoor
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:
How do we stack up vs. the AAC?
per 247 we are 4th in the American


As of this evening, 3rd in the AAC per 247, 66th nationally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 821
Ray wrote:
wavedom wrote:
No doubt a good class and a major upgrade from the past. Kudos to the staff for their hard work. It also appears we took full advantage of the new rules in place to get better players such as the early signing date and the tightening up on the 25 man limit. may the PTB not give in to the P5's who will seek changes to the new rules.

Not everyone in those conferences is a yearly top ten type recruiter.


That's certainly true. It's also true that most of those conferences have those schools that are top ten types and they rule the roost in their conferences and the others take their cues from them.

_________________
Sadly it's over


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Signing day thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:53 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 501
Tulane adds luster to breakthrough signing class

Plenty of factors contributed to Tulane's 14 losing records in its past 15 years of football, but the primary reason was pretty simple. By any evaluation standard, the Green Wave's players have not been as talented as most of its opponents. ...
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 72f66.html


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CT Wave, Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group