Signing day thread

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Signing day thread

Post by long green »

The rain & the parade conflicts held down the crowd. There was no Q&A like some other such functions.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

What impresses me most is the array of players coming--i.e. the various positions that help across-the-board. The top four listed recruits are all on defense, and he is recruiting positions of need in his "mold"--a 6-4 receiver, for example. I was told that the 2017 roster comprised about 33% of what WF wants in a team. These recruits seem to be the types of players that he wants--regardless of "star power." Seeing how we used the final three slots, I REALLY like the new recruiting dates and how WF used them--much to the benefit of the Tulane football program.

The only odd thing was that the previous 5-star punter is now a 3-star punter. I just don't know how that happens. 8)
Plan your work, work your plan.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Wasn't he always mentioned as a 5* punter, but a 3* athlete ??
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I agree that WF used/managed this new recruiting setup as well as anyone could have hoped.

Consensus Fourth best recruiting class in the AAC
Fifth best recruiting class in all of the G-5.

with rankings like that I can see real, tangible improvement in Program success. And we went head to head with a number of P-5 Programs and..........won.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:Wasn't he always mentioned as a 5* punter, but a 3* athlete ??
Believe the 5* is from the kicking services which I personally would take with a heavy grain of salt...the 3* is from the "traditional" sites who would be doubtful to ever give 5* to a kicker.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Tulane49 wrote:
waverider wrote:
TUPF wrote:How do we stack up vs. the AAC?
per 247 we are 4th in the American
AMerican Athletics Conference Recruiting Rankings via Rivals | NSD Update:

46. Cincy
56. USF
60. Houston
64. Tulane
72. UCF
76. Memphis
78. Temple
83. ECU
83. SMU
86. Tulsa
89. UConn
91. Navy
As close to 2nd as we are to 5th!
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

Looking at 247 this morning, we are now 3rd in the AAC and 66th overall. Impressed that the coaching staff has really upgraded the recruiting.
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

We out recruited the National Champion! :lol:
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

They had a burger buffet which was really nice, complimentary lemonade and iced tea, and a cash bar for beer and wine.

CWF had a few remarks and then left the introductions to each of the coaches. I was actually impressed with the QB from Elon NC and some of the LBs are legit starters.

The running backs look solid, but not yet explosive.

The bizarre recruiting commentary by Coach Conway kinda left everyone with their jaws on the ground. Joking? Truth? What the what.

Coach Atkins said Tennessee sent thru their offer at 3am the morning of Signing Day and his dad called Coach at 4am with the news, literally at the final hour. He said we took guys from SMU and UCF so it is what it is.

They explained the new ticket pricing. No more single game tickets in Westfeldt which will suck big time for reunion groups at homecoming. I hope they bend on that rule. What if you want to grab a friend to bring with you? They should allow season ticket holders to be able to buy single tickets.

It was a good event. Looking forward to when it doesn't interfere with Mardi Gras.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

washwave wrote:Looking at 247 this morning, we are now 3rd in the AAC and 66th overall. Impressed that the coaching staff has really upgraded the recruiting.
They also still show Camel as a 3*.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Anyone able to expand on what Conway said that was so jaw dropping? First I've heard of this, sounds interesting.

I agree with DH that you should be able to buy an occasional extra ticket in Westfeldt, but I like the overall move, and don't care a fig if it messes up homecoming groups. People coming back for one game a year for homecoming can happily sit together elsewhere. It'll be nice to have a full section full of regular attendees/season ticket holders who are there every week. If the goal is to maximize donations, the HC crowd is your target. But TD says he's targeting expanding the fan base and building a tradition. You don't build tradition by primarily focusing on the one-game-a-year-crowd
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Conway told a joke about the recruitment of Jorien Vallien. He said Texas Tech came after him hard but fortunately John Leglue's family has a car dealership in Alexandria...

Then he told a less daring story about his daughter & Jamiran James.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

djh wrote:
washwave wrote:Looking at 247 this morning, we are now 3rd in the AAC and 66th overall. Impressed that the coaching staff has really upgraded the recruiting.
I was curious if we hop over Toledo if Camel is reclassified as a 4* since our average was really close to theirs.

On a related note.. how the F()CK is Toledo 65th in the nation in recruiting? (I am talking about 247, BTW)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote: I like the overall move, and don't care a fig if it messes up homecoming groups. People coming back for one game a year for homecoming can happily sit together elsewhere.
Says the asshat that isn't an alum.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
djh wrote:
I was curious if we hop over Toledo if Camel is reclassified as a 4* since our average was really close to theirs.

On a related note.. how the F()CK is Toledo 65th in the nation in recruiting? (I am talking about 247, BTW)
a really good training table buffet?
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

Johnny Mac wrote:
djh wrote:

Camel's composite rating won't be changing. 247's internal rankings have him as a 4 star, but they do their rankings using the composite rankings from different services.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

sr wrote:Wasn't he always mentioned as a 5* punter, but a 3* athlete ??
And #1 in your hearts
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Johnny Mac wrote:
djh wrote:

I think all of their commits are 3-stars
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

http://collegefootballnews.com/2018/02/ ... s-rankings
3. Tulane Green Wave

Willie Fritz wants his defense to be stronger, especially up front with tackles Jeffery Johnson, Davon Wright and Alfred Thomas the core of the class. There isn’t much for the speed-option running game, with just one running back brought on and a light class of offensive linemen. The D got the love, with a few good pass rushers to go along with the bulk inside.
this website is usually pretty good. they think highly of WF, rightly so
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I appreciate the link Yank but it's amusing that they got so much wrong in such a brief capsule. More than the slightest glance would reveal that we signed three running backs and brought in five new offensive linemen.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

In fairness to them, some of the services have us listed with one RB and several as ATH’s. One guy they don’t mention is Corey Dauphine. By the way, who will be our speed back?
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

have you looked at that RB we signed from Florida?* A speed guy who put up gaudy numbers but on the small side (if I remember correctly).

*Ygenio Booker
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:have you looked at that RB we signed from Florida?* A speed guy who put up gaudy numbers but on the small side (if I remember correctly).

*Ygenio Booker
Isn't he 4.4 something??
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

that's the one sr. He's either 5'-10 or 5'-11" (depending on the site) and under 200 lbs. I would call him an "under the radar" recruit, Rivals only has him at 2 Stars and no P-5 Programs offered, but he put up big numbers and worth keeping an eye on.
djh
Coach Level

Post by djh »

GreenieBacker wrote:that's the one sr. He's either 5'-10 or 5'-11" (depending on the site) and under 200 lbs. I would call him an "under the radar" recruit, Rivals only has him at 2 Stars and no P-5 Programs offered, but he put up big numbers and worth keeping an eye on.
247 has him as a 3* i think.
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'