Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Houston - burn the tape
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm 
President's Circle

Worst effort of the year. Outside of Reynolds willingness to take a charge down 26 there were no positives. Nobody played well. Maybe we were tired and frustrated after getting robbed at Tulsa.

We have improved and I do think we are headed in the right direction. We desperately need to get tougher on the inside. We continue to get beat up on the boards and allow guys to get to the rim.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm 
President's Circle

So this kind of cr@p is ok with the men's team, but many on here are calling for Lisa's head because of the same garbage. WOW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 pm 
Coach Level

Wavemania wrote:
So this kind of cr@p is ok with the men's team, but many on here are calling for Lisa's head because of the same garbage. WOW

Thanks for your sudden drive-by appearance. Nobody thinks it's ok, but it's obvious the context is different. The women's team was perennially successful but has fallen back in recent years. The men's team hasn't seen success in two decades and is coming off a 6-win season. I'm mad at myself for even wasting the time to type this in response.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

Thanks for your sudden drive-by appearance. Nobody thinks it's ok, but it's obvious the context is different. The women's team was perennially successful but has fallen back in recent years. The men's team hasn't seen success in two decades and is coming off a 6-win season. I'm mad at myself for even wasting the time to type this in response.

No excuses for tonites performance (of course). I really think Houston is a ncaa team & we were mentally way down.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm 
President's Circle

The performance and effort were awful. It’s disappointing that we have not played well the last few weeks. However, we have won 7 more games than last year and overall Dunleavy is doing a good job and the effort has been there. I think there are things he could improve on related to how the college game is played, but I’m happy with the direction things are going.

No way should anybody be calling for his job because of one awful game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:

Apples and oranges, but thanks for the playing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm 
President's Circle

Just got home from the game. In a word, awful. In the first half we probably shot five uncontested shots while probably contesting five shots taken by Houston. On the defensive side, besides Melvin and Ajang, no one communicates and Ajang is the only one that boxes out. Tonight, no one was crashing the boards. Offensively, we didn’t get to the rim at all and when we did we put up wild shots. Pick and roll was there entire night yet we couldn’t execute it at all. Could have cleared one side of the court for Melvin given he had a 6-3 guard on him yet we never tried. Forty-two points sums it up.

Other thoughts -

1. Melvin isn’t ready for next level just yet but when your major weakness is outside shooting how much can you improve. He has leverage right now and I think he leaves no matter what.
2. Will Dunleavy’s coaching translate to college basketball. His reluctance to mix up his defenses is a weakness. There are some poor outside shooting teams in our league and we rebound poorly, yet we play man exclusively except for one game where half our team was on the bench. He has to adapt to his talent and play accordingly. Our basketball IQ on the defensive side of the court is poor.
3. I think Ajang is going to be a player. And I heard this weekend that Koka has made great strides. Let’s hope this comes to fruition.
4. Daniels is going to be very good. He plays hard, can shoot, and has great hops. As he continues to learn, he will develop into a fine player.
5. We need a PG and I don’t know what if we are recruiting one. Barrett could be the answer. Talking to some folks, they believe he can be an elite defender but needs some seasoning on the offensive side. We need someone to come in and be a distributor. I thought we were recruiting a PG out of the Baton Rouge - does anyone know?

Need to beat ECU on Wednesday!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 pm 
Coach Level

Quote:
3. I think Ajang is going to be a player.

Maybe so, but that can’t be based on anything that happened tonight.
He was pretty bad. Missed the easiest uncontested layup at the rim. Jacked up a 3.
Got abused on defense.
Aside from that, he was ok.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Quote:
3. I think Ajang is going to be a player.

Maybe so, but that can’t be based on anything that happened tonight.
He was pretty bad. Missed the easiest uncontested layup at the rim. Jacked up a 3.
Got abused on defense.
Aside from that, he was ok.

Compared to how he looked in November that's an improvement! Most important he has shaken the deer in headlights look. He is improving.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:27 am 
Regent's Circle

I texted this to my buddy at 1253pm eastern yesterday

"Houston can sniff an at-large bid I have a feeling we get beat today like Florida State beat us"

And that was not taking the fatigue factor from Thursday into consideration. That game was circled on Sampson's calendar for weeks after the loss in New Orleans. The fact his team kept jacking 3s despite being up over 30 shows he's still mad about that resume ruining loss. But here's where you can see the lack of intelligence that results in a guy getting a show cause penalty... by blowing us out so badly, it makes the January loss look even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 am 
Riptide Level

Johnny Mac wrote:

"Houston can sniff an at-large bid I have a feeling we get beat today like Florida State beat us"

And that was not taking the fatigue factor from Thursday into consideration. That game was circled on Sampson's calendar for weeks after the loss in New Orleans. The fact his team kept jacking 3s despite being up over 30 shows he's still mad about that resume ruining loss. But here's where you can see the lack of intelligence that results in a guy getting a show cause penalty... by blowing us out so badly, it makes the January loss look even worse.

Interesting take. No doubt, Houston was pouring it on when we're down. We should remember this game and give it back to them and show no restraint in the next two years and beyond when Tulane is among the elites in college basketball.

I thought we might have been better off giving Melvin Frasier and Ona Embo another game to recover from injuries to turn it around for the remainder of the season. They weren't anywhere near 100%.

Our only hope for an NIT bid now is another upset win (over Cincinnati or Wichita State) and a big win or two in the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am 
Emerald Circle

Post moved to CBI thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

Not that bringing them home during MG is a great solution either, but keeping the team on the road this long is a recipe for disaster.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm 
Riptide Level

And BURN those Green, P & G uniforms. Go back to the regular Tulane uniforms ASAP, please!

I still bid only $1.00 for one of those uni tops.

The Tulane colors are Dark (Olive/Forest) Green and Sky Blue just in case anyone has forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm 
President's Circle

We are right where we were at the beginning of the year, 4 wins in 4 days in March gets us to the tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

IM42lane wrote:
And BURN those Green, P & G uniforms. Go back to the regular Tulane uniforms ASAP, please!

I still bid only $1.00 for one of those uni tops.

The Tulane colors are Dark (Olive/Forest) Green and Sky Blue just in case anyone has forgotten.

I did forget, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm 
Breaker Level

SomeBiz wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

Interesting take. No doubt, Houston was pouring it on when we're down. We should remember this game and give it back to them and show no restraint in the next two years and beyond when Tulane is among the elites in college basketball.

I thought we might have been better off giving Melvin Frasier and Ona Embo another game to recover from injuries to turn it around for the remainder of the season. They weren't anywhere near 100%.

Our only hope for an NIT bid now is another upset win (over Cincinnati or Wichita State) and a big win or two in the tournament.

That still wouldn't get us in the NIT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

Dunleavy: I didn’t know who that team was out there

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:52 am 
Regent's Circle

Do we still use tape? :lol:

Teams can usually be expected to get better as the year moves on (barring injuries of course), but this one has regressed. :(

Fan since '54