ZERO respect from BaseBall America preview

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

ZERO respect from BaseBall America preview

Post by noladave »

Not sure if someone pi$$3d them off, or just total lack of respect. They only mentioned 2 Tulane players - Witherspoon as a Top 30 draft prospect (within conference), and Roper, and one of the best newcomer. Didn’t even give Tulane a team recap.

I hope we make them eat everyone one of their words, because they treated us like we don’t even exist in the conference.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college ... JiZAx83.97
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: ZERO respect from BaseBall America preview

Post by visualmagic »

Eat their words? What words? They didn’t say anything about Tulane.

Not entirely sure why you’re surprised. All the publications are expecting that Tulane won’t have a good team this year.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

BA has been very kind to us over the years and has given us plenty of pub....much of it undeserved. frankly, we are living off our name from ten years ago, and we should not be complaining.

we have one established hitter, if BA was giving us love, I'd think they were a sham outfit. ready for TJ to prove us wrong. still will be watching
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If we take two out of three or sweep any of the early series against some of these good teams, we'll get mention immediately, in the "keep an eye on" category. As much as I don't get caught up in what the online publications think (especially this early), I also think we (Tulane fans) have garnered a lot of appreciation from these baseball publications, and they will be quick to give us any attention we earn. Unlike football and basketball, where we are a little fish in a big (or huge) pond, our baseball fanbase (compared to many schools overall, and compared to bigger schools "relatively speaking") is large and we are very active in online "live chats", sending in email questions, etc. I get the impression they like us and are happy to treat us well because they know we have college baseball fans who are invested and who will (literally) invest in their sites.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

well put.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Fanowave
Crest Level

Post by Fanowave »

Ran into Rick Jones a while back before he was getting inducted into the TU hall of fame. Told him there needs to be a sign in the outfield "THIS IS THE HOUSE THAT RICK BUILT". Was thinking about having a banner made and just unfurling it on a big game but we all know, it would be taken down with an arrest in a
heartbeat.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Fanowave wrote:Ran into Rick Jones a while back before he was getting inducted into the TU hall of fame. Told him there needs to be a sign in the outfield "THIS IS THE HOUSE THAT RICK BUILT". Was thinking about having a banner made and just unfurling it on a big game but we all know, it would be taken down with an arrest in a
heartbeat.
An arrest? What planet are you living on?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Fanowave wrote:Ran into Rick Jones a while back before he was getting inducted into the TU hall of fame. Told him there needs to be a sign in the outfield "THIS IS THE HOUSE THAT RICK BUILT". Was thinking about having a banner made and just unfurling it on a big game but we all know, it would be taken down with an arrest in a
heartbeat.
Wow. It's signing day concluding Tulane's best football recruiting (if you believe the "experts") in this century. We haven't played a baseball game yet and we're talking about central lockup. Again wow.

I'm sure you're a season ticket holder for baseball like me and many others here. I'll save my evaluations for after they play. Meanwhile I'll root for them to succeed.

Glad to know you bumped into Rick and that he is doing better. No doubt Jones is the person most responsible for Greer which is still a Top 30 college baseball facility even after the P5 arms race of the last decade. I'll always be grateful for what he did for Tulane athletics.
Fanowave
Crest Level

Post by Fanowave »

He looked great. Very humble guy. Was flattered by my suggestion. Long green you want to help me unfurl? I'll help you make bail. Then you'll see what planet I'm from.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

How can you help me make bail if we're going downtown together? I'm glad you saw the coach.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

It's impossible to handicap this team. Too many unknowns and too many new players. We could be awesome and we could be terrible. I think it's easier to put us behind the known commodities and say "Tulane surprised everyone" than it is to say "I really screwed up thinking Tulane would be good."
This one belongs to the Wave.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

One thing is clear about this year, we will not walk 317 batters. The pitching depth is much better. Offensively we should be a small ball team, but if the wind is blowing out to left consistently you never know. Defensively, we will have to wait and see. Should be a very interesting year against a tough schedule.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

didn't they have us in the pre-season top 25 or 30 last year.. how did that turn out for them? Pretty sure they're gun shy about a team with nothing but question marks outside of Witherspoon.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

TU23 wrote:It's impossible to handicap this team. Too many unknowns and too many new players. We could be awesome and we could be terrible. I think it's easier to put us behind the known commodities and say "Tulane surprised everyone" than it is to say "I really screwed up thinking Tulane would be good."
Thanks, TU23, Like PeteR in hoops and you and Ray and others who have actually played the sport at Tulane, I especially look to you guys for impressions.

I’m looking for improvement over last year but anything else is lagniappe.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

TU23 wrote:It's impossible to handicap this team. Too many unknowns and too many new players. We could be awesome and we could be terrible. I think it's easier to put us behind the known commodities and say "Tulane surprised everyone" than it is to say "I really screwed up thinking Tulane would be good."
It's like you wrote exactly what was in my head about our baseball team.

Of course, there are many years that the same can be written about our football team and basketball team, especially in this era of player transfers.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I never said we would make regionals, or beyond, but to not even be mentioned in a recap, ,that’s pretty low. I spent a lot of time at fall ball games, and I will say this - we are a better baseball team this year. THe names may not be as familiar - Merrill or Montalbano, but we have some very good talent on this team.

Time will tell.

And what the h-e-l-l - Merry Fritzmas!!!!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Yankeewave wrote:BA has been very kind to us over the years and has given us plenty of pub....much of it undeserved. frankly, we are living off our name from ten years ago, and we should not be complaining.

we have one established hitter, if BA was giving us love, I'd think they were a sham outfit. ready for TJ to prove us wrong. still will be watching
This
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

D1baseball.com has a much nicer view of us, but still not making a regional..

National mentions of Solesky, Witherspoon, Bates, Gillies, Gozzo, Green, and McAffer. Earlier in the fall they had a chat with Roper.....

Hardly any of these guys mentioned by BA...
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Dave, no one covers college baseball better than D1. Those guys know college baseball teams/players inside and out. D1 is a much better source for college baseball when compared to any other site.

By the way, I wanted to thank you for all the pictures you have made available during the years, especially the past two where I got some great photos of Jeremy. Again, thank you!
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

tjtlja wrote:Dave, no one covers college baseball better than D1. Those guys know college baseball teams/players inside and out. D1 is a much better source for college baseball when compared to any other site.

By the way, I wanted to thank you for all the pictures you have made available during the years, especially the past two where I got some great photos of Jeremy. Again, thank you!
BA is more geared toward minor league baseball and I think D1 hired away their college writers, or maybe it was perfect game. in any event, BA is certainly not what it used to be, but that does not mean anything they said was incorrect. if we win, we will get press. as pete said, we have a vocal fan base and the press gets that. one year one of the websites did a position rankings and someone emailed about sam honeck and i want to say they moved him from unrated to #2 and basically said, "our bad"
GreenMenace
Regent's Circle

Post by GreenMenace »

long green wrote:How can you help me make bail if we're going downtown together? I'm glad you saw the coach.
Central lockup, OPP, is in Mid City, not downtown. Trust me. :twisted:
"It's a winning edge for your football team if you're great in the kicking game." - Willie Fritz
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GreenMenace wrote:
long green wrote:How can you help me make bail if we're going downtown together? I'm glad you saw the coach.
Jail talk in a baseball thread was all it took to get you posting again? :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GreenMenace
Regent's Circle

Post by GreenMenace »

waverider wrote:
GreenMenace wrote:
Jail talk in a baseball thread was all it took to get you posting again? :lol:
Just tryin' to stay above the fray, brother.
"It's a winning edge for your football team if you're great in the kicking game." - Willie Fritz
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

tjtlja wrote:Dave, no one covers college baseball better than D1. Those guys know college baseball teams/players inside and out. D1 is a much better source for college baseball when compared to any other site.

+1