Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 am 
Emerald Circle

I don't know if I would have called Frazier an overlooked recruit. He was a 4 Star coming out of high school and his measurables: height, wingspan, etc were what you're looking for. But he was, as wavedom pointed out, raw as they come. You could see he had gotten used to using his greater skill and athleticism to score points in high school. When he came here as a Freshman he had no real outside shot, not an even close three point shot and he was mediocre at the Free Throw line. All of that changed under Dunleavy.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

The Green Wave's junior forward is considering the NBA and said Tuesday he might forgo his final season of eligibility at Tulane and enter the draft.

He is currently projected as a late first-, early second-round prospect in what is considered a top-heavy NBA Draft. ESPN ranks Frazier as the 29th overall prospect, but most draft analysts project Frazier as a second-round prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 am 
Regent's Circle

Really, no reason for him not to declare but not hire an agent and see how the process goes. If he's got a secure first round spot after the evaluation process, you can't begrudge him going. If not, they he should come back. While I would hate to lose him, this is a nice problem to have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am 
President's Circle

If Frazier is indeed drafted, he'd be just the 3rd player since 1985 to be drafted from Tulane. That's a pretty big deal and should have some positive impact on the recruiting trail. It would be nice to see him stay, but if he goes I think Dunleavy can use it to his advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:27 pm 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
If Frazier is indeed drafted, he'd be just the 3rd player since 1985 to be drafted from Tulane. That's a pretty big deal and should have some positive impact on the recruiting trail. It would be nice to see him stay, but if he goes I think Dunleavy can use it to his advantage.

Yes, it won't take much for him to be the best player we've had in the NBA since Hot Rod.

The bad news is that him talking about leaving means he's probably as good as gone. The good news is that plenty of people with "late 1st/early 2nd round" grades go undrafted every year, so he may look at that and decide to come back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
If Frazier is indeed drafted, he'd be just the 3rd player since 1985 to be drafted from Tulane.
...along with Anthony Reed and Jerald Honeycutt, both of whom had significantly more notice, more accolades, more recognition from day one of their freshmen years, and more "green light" throughout their entire four years. The jump Frazier has made in just a couple of years under Dunleavy is pretty amazing.

(in case someone forgot, our other NBA player, Linton Johnson, was an undrafted free agent)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

and Pete that's the point Dunleavy will drive home with recruits. Melvin Frazier when he came here would have been lucky to go to one of those Basketball Minor Leagues. Melvin Frazier under Dunleavy looks to be a first or second round draft choice in the NBA. And Frazier isn't the only one to benefit from Dunleavy, Reynolds improved his game big time as well, among others.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
and Pete that's the point Dunleavy will drive home with recruits. Melvin Frazier when he came here would have been lucky to go to one of those Basketball Minor Leagues. Melvin Frazier under Dunleavy looks to be a first or second round draft choice in the NBA. And Frazier isn't the only one to benefit from Dunleavy, Reynolds improved his game big time as well, among others.

All ends of the spectrum: I nominate one Ryan Smith for how much he improved in one year under Dunleavy. It makes me wonder what MD could have done with Osetkowski. Oh well back to trying to predict what Melvin's hair stylist produces tonight for the ESPN audience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

Especially if it’s noted how raw he was prior to Dunleavy teaching him.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson