Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:46 pm 
Coach Level

SI's updated post combine mock has Melvin to Hawks at 30!

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/05/21/2018- ... divincenzo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm 
President's Circle

John Rothstein reporting Ona-Embo returning to Tulane. Strange that he declared in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:13 pm 
Coach Level

NJwave wrote:
John Rothstein reporting Ona-Embo returning to Tulane. Strange that he declared in the first place.

From Marc Spears
Quote:
Brother of Tulane 6-5 PG Ray Ona Embo, Carl, tells @TheUndefeated that his brother has not decided if is returning to school or going to the NBA & the final decision will be made by the family. The ex-G-Leaguer adds that his brother has a workout scheduled with the Hornets Friday

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

FWIW ESPN tonight has Melvin going to 76ers w/26th pick.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
FWIW ESPN tonight has Melvin going to 76ers w/26th pick.
I might have to go to a Sixers game for the first time in decades.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 am 
Regent's Circle

I haven't followed Sixers much since Dr. J. If it happens, it seems like it would be a good fit for him. He could enjoy the tabloid coverage of Simmons and Jenner!

In a few weeks after the draft, I fully expect to see comments here that he must be a failure if he doesn't meet his self proclaimed threshold of being a top-twenty draftee and predicting he'll be playing in Japan shortly. (Has Tulane ever had a first round NBA pick? Maybe in the paleo-days of the late forties or early fifties.)

With lots of positive news this week across the athletics front, it's been amazing to see the trolling done anyway by some of our own fans. In the good old days of the internet, you would see folks go to their opponent's web sites to troll but not here. For them there is no Tulane glass that is not emptying so why waste time going to Tiger D. Maybe we need Tony Robbins to come in to teach self-esteem posting? Meanwhile I'm just going to enjoy the good off-season news while waiting for the Wake game.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:24 am 
Emerald Circle

If he is indeed drafted by the Sixers, and even though most outsiders have a negative impression of the City of Brotherly Love, the recipe for success here is simple. Leave everything on the field/court/basepaths/ice. If Philly fans see you playing till you bleed, you are a god here. Otherwise, start packing those snowballs away in the freezer. 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:59 am 
Coach Level

The 76ers would be a great landing spot. They seem to be on the precipice of something big. They have a good young team and are also supposed to be major players in the Lebron sweepstakes this offseason. May it work out that way for Melvin.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:27 am 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
The 76ers would be a great landing spot. They seem to be on the precipice of something big. They have a good young team and are also supposed to be major players in the Lebron sweepstakes this offseason. May it work out that way for Melvin.

I guess football really does lift all boats! 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 am 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I doubt LeBron ends up there. Too many moving parts. 6ers need shooters to put around Simmons and Embiid. If they think that's Melvin, good for him!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 am 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I doubt LeBron ends up there. Too many moving parts. 6ers need shooters to put around Simmons and Embiid. If they think that's Melvin, good for him!

Not to totally thread jack, but where do you see him ending up? Houston? LA?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:50 am 
Emerald Circle

Per Vegas, they had the 76ers at #1 before the recent scandal, now they have the 76ers tied with the Cav's.

for what that's worth.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:23 am 
Regent's Circle

I hate me against the world but when the me is Lebron I immediately forget what I hate.

Time for irrational homerism. Any chance for the Pels?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 am 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Per Vegas, they had the 76ers at #1 before the recent scandal, now they have the 76ers tied with the Cav's.

for what that's worth.

If I had to bet, I'd say he stays in Cleveland, but I'd also say the chances of that are less than 50%. He knows that wherever he goes will be a circus so I don't know if the current goings on in Philly (totally insane, btw!) would deter him. Could be a benefit even, if they wind up hiring someone he's tied to (Griffin?). I think both LA teams and Houston are also firmly in play. Maybe Miami, too? He really likes Fizdale, maybe the Knicks?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am 
Regent's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I hate me against the world but when the me is Lebron I immediately forget what I hate.

Time for irrational homerism. Any chance for the Pels?

Would be great for him, basketball-wise, and he reportedly loves Cousins. No cap space so would have to give up assets Cleveland would want in a trade...without looking it up, Mirotic, Moore, Ajinca and a 1st round pick probably gets us most of the way there. That said, you'd think he'd want to stay east and not have to battle through both Houston and GS.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

if the 76ers fire their GM and hire someone he likes, I don't see any reason that would scare Lebron away from them.

as for the Pels, unless things change they'll lose Cousins as soon as he can get out of town and they'll be lucky to keep Anthony Davis. My humble $0.02. Attracting Lebron would be the biggest of pipe dreams.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:36 am 
Emerald Circle

Cousins’ value is a bit up in the air after blowing his Achilles. Davis is under contract & the Pels can super max him. The Pelicans are more stable than you think.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 am 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Cousins’ value is a bit up in the air after blowing his Achilles. Davis is under contract & the Pels can super max him. The Pelicans are more stable than you think.

They're stable but they have no cap space for LeBron. I thought ajinca was dumped in one of the other trades (Mirotic?). The salaries would be hard to work. I think if he leaves Cleveland, Houston and one of the LA teams make the most sense. I don't know if being in the East (and not having to play the West as much) will be enough of a draw, but he can take more nights off (not literally, but rest woke playing anyway) in the East.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:59 am 
Coach Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
if the 76ers fire their GM and hire someone he likes, I don't see any reason that would scare Lebron away from them.

as for the Pels, unless things change they'll lose Cousins as soon as he can get out of town and they'll be lucky to keep Anthony Davis. My humble $0.02. Attracting Lebron would be the biggest of pipe dreams.

That seems like a very uninformed opinion. If the Pelicans really want to keep Cousins at all costs, then they will.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
long green wrote:

They're stable but they have no cap space for LeBron. I thought ajinca was dumped in one of the other trades (Mirotic?). The salaries would be hard to work. I think if he leaves Cleveland, Houston and one of the LA teams make the most sense. I don't know if being in the East (and not having to play the West as much) will be enough of a draw, but he can take more nights off (not literally, but rest woke playing anyway) in the East.

If Lebron wants to play for your team, you will make the trades necessary to free up cap space.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

That seems like a very uninformed opinion. If the Pelicans really want to keep Cousins at all costs, then they will.

Agreed...I think he winds up staying with a 2 year max deal with an additional year at his option.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 am 
President's Circle

Just checked. Some combination of Mirotic, Moore, Hill and Ajinca could get you close, money wise. Problem would be that's mostly a bunch of crap. And if LeBron goes West, I doubt the Pels are in the top 3

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 am 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

Agreed...I think he winds up staying with a 2 year max deal with an additional year at his option.

Yeah, they're one of the few teams that can actually offer him the max. Now whether they should is a different story. The history of Achilles recoveries is not good. But, kinda like with Holliday, they don't really have an alternative

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:29 am 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Just checked. Some combination of Mirotic, Moore, Hill and Ajinca could get you close, money wise. Problem would be that's mostly a bunch of crap. And if LeBron goes West, I doubt the Pels are in the top 3

Mirotic and Moore are good assets, Ajinca is expiring so he'd help Cleveland clear cap...Hill is the tough one. Mirotic, Moore and Ajinca gets them to ~$26.6MM. We wouldn't have to include Hill at that point, Darius Miller and/or Frank Jackson should be enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:45 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:
I haven't followed Sixers much since Dr. J. If it happens, it seems like it would be a good fit for him. He could enjoy the tabloid coverage of Simmons and Jenner!

In a few weeks after the draft, I fully expect to see comments here that he must be a failure if he doesn't meet his self proclaimed threshold of being a top-twenty draftee and predicting he'll be playing in Japan shortly. (Has Tulane ever had a first round NBA pick? Maybe in the paleo-days of the late forties or early fifties.)

With lots of positive news this week across the athletics front, it's been amazing to see the trolling done anyway by some of our own fans. In the good old days of the internet, you would see folks go to their opponent's web sites to troll but not here. For them there is no Tulane glass that is not emptying so why waste time going to Tiger D. Maybe we need Tony Robbins to come in to teach self-esteem posting? Meanwhile I'm just going to enjoy the good off-season news while waiting for the Wake game.

Once again you never miss a chance to bash our fans . I can remember when fans of a school only went to other teams sites to bash the opposing fans. There is positive news and if he's picked in the first round everyone will be happy for him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next