Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:37 pm 
Emerald Circle

Too bad we couldn’t face them while they were still ranked.

Still would be a big series win and an even better sweep.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
Too bad we couldn’t face them while they were still ranked.

Still would be a big series win and an even better sweep.

this was straight out of the FS'54's school of jinx. we don't need to worry about the sweep, at least us seeping them :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:12 am 
Emerald Circle

Or maybe west coast baseball is better than Midwestern Ohio baseball, getting swept by Stanford is respectable, and our wins over WSU aren't that impressive? I hope I'm wrong and we can turn it around today, but everyone assuming CSF wasn't good because Stanford stymied them last week was probably a little premature.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:28 am 
Emerald Circle

i looked at their schedule earlier in the week when i saw their record

i believe their losses are
3 to Stanford
1 to UCLA ranked #11 in at least one poll
2 to Houston (along with ECU, the favorite in the American and ranked).

I posted before last night that i'd lay money they will end up a #2 or #1 in a regional when all is said and done. well, maybe not a #1, but they will make the tourney. i am sure our coaches and team knew their records was a deception as they were highly ranked going into the season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:06 am 
Navigator Level

I think that we can compete with CSF, just can't allow 6 runs in the 1st two innings. Roper appeared to be fighting his emotions and overthrowing at times, a snowball situation. CTJ left him in to give him a chance to work through it. On the plus side, it was good to see Gosso hit back to back doubles after being 2/16. Looking forward to seeing Massey starting again today. New day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am 
Emerald Circle

I didn't see the game. That said sometimes pitchers have bad outings, team plays crappy etc. So far this season we have been mentally tough, confident, and resilient all things we weren't last year due to a lack of leadership. If we come out today and compete all is well in the kingdom.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
I didn't see the game. That said sometimes pitchers have bad outings, team plays crappy etc. So far this season we have been mentally tough, confident, and resilient all things we weren't last year due to a lack of leadership. If we come out today and compete all is well in the kingdom.

I understand it's a modest goal, but a 3-2 week is a plus for this team this early in a season with low expectations... win today and that's guaranteed and a 4-1 week is possible. CSF is still a formidable program and they will be in the post season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:21 am 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
Or maybe west coast baseball is better than Midwestern Ohio baseball, getting swept by Stanford is respectable, and our wins over WSU aren't that impressive? I hope I'm wrong and we can turn it around today, but everyone assuming CSF wasn't good because Stanford stymied them last week was probably a little premature.

Pete, midwest college baseball has improved so much in the past 10 years. It certainly doesn’t have the pitching depth, but more players are staying up north and travel ball has improved the product. Those teams in your neck of the woods have to lock down the local kids because no one from the south or the west is headed to the Big 10. Last night I watched Northwestern beat Texas 6-2. They have some good players. Wright State has some good players. Indiana, Kent State, etc., all have everyday ball players who can compete with just about anyone on any given night and the ones with pitching depth can win regionals and super regionals. Just look at the MLB draft - baseball players are found everywhere.

Last edited by tjtlja on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:28 am 
Emerald Circle

All I really meant was that we won a series from Wright State while CSF got swept by Stanford, and it seemed like some here assumed "well clearly we are good and CSF isn't, so we'll sweep this series with no problem". Or at least that's how their posts read. I was saying that neither of those may have any bearing on this weekend's outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:

Due to a lack of leadership or a lack of quality talent? When you average scoring over five runs per game and end up with a nearly .500 record, play very good defense, then all wind’s point to the pen. For us to have gotten to a regional last year, we would have needed to average almost 7 runs per game. That isn’t going to happen against our schedule or any schedule. We gave up 300+ walks. I think leadership kept our team together last year, especially after the poor start. Pitching depth is vital and that is what we currently have to some extent. Next year it will be pretty special if the draft doesn’t get us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:59 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:

Due to a lack of leadership or a lack of quality talent? When you average scoring over five runs per game and end up with a nearly .500 record, play very good defense, then all wind’s point to the pen. For us to have gotten to a regional last year, we would have needed to average almost 7 runs per game. That isn’t going to happen against our schedule or any schedule. We gave up 300+ walks. I think leadership kept our team together last year, especially after the poor start. Pitching depth is vital and that is what we currently have to some extent. Next year it will be pretty special if the draft doesn’t get us.

Maybe catching was the problem. Don't they make pitchers better?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:24 pm 
Coach Level

Windy makes a comment about the leadership after every game.
As if he has any idea what’s gone on in the lockerroom this year or last.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:39 pm 
Coach Level

gerryb323 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:

Maybe catching was the problem. Don't they make pitchers better?

I have never heard a pitcher, pitching coach, or head coach say the catcher caused the pitcher’s wildness. Have you ever heard that? A catcher cannot help a pitchers mechanics, mental make up, or accuracy. Have you ever heard that? What a catcher can and must do is receive softly, frame pitches, block the pitchers out pitch, and talk to them when things are getting a little rough.

But if you think the catchers were the issue, then you may be right. Just hope this was a shot at me and not those guys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:31 pm 
Navigator Level

Odd- no visit to the mound by pitching coach or Jewett when thing were imploding-pitcher was cleary having mechanics issues with pitches consistenly high. Waste of a great comeback.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:11 pm 
President's Circle

coaching does it again. How much longer can TD let this go on?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:22 pm 
Coach Level

Wavemania wrote:

Because firing someone 10 games into their second season makes a ton of sense. I suppose we should poach the head coach of Rummel while we're at it?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:24 pm 
Coach Level

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

Because firing someone 10 games into their second season makes a ton of sense. I suppose we should poach the head coach of Rummel while we're at it?

Was he supposed to have another reliever up when the closer entered to start the 9th?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 pm 
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

I hope he is not intimating that Tulane should hire another coach on the open market who is immediately available. Tulane's record is .500 after ten games with all losses coming against a current Top 10 team and one that went to the CWS last year. Yes I pull for Tulane to do better but we need to give this a rest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:

Leadership, talent, Zeke (Zeus's Yankee cousin god of baseball) favoring us, whatever it is, we are competing this year and seem to have a joie de vivre on the field that was obviously missing last year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Windy makes a comment about the leadership after every game.
As if he has any idea what’s gone on in the lockerroom this year or last.

And I make a comment that we don't rebound because we're mentally soft. What's your point? You don't like me pointing out the obvious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:

You're an idiot.

If you get to make random statements not grounded in reality I get to make mean ones grounded solidly.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

What about after the third?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
If we come out today and compete all is well in the kingdom.

I stand by this.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:14 pm 
Navigator Level

I don’t think it’s irrational to question the coaching of our pitchers. Based upon the sample thus far....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Wavemania wrote:

I'd take Rommel. Hell of a field general. Always had his pieces moving on the field. The dead Nazi part might be hard to overcome but he has a better chance of being hired here midseason than a certain other available coach.