Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 pm 
Coach Level

I liked the leadership shown. They had a good spirit about them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

Pretty awful, but we'll see how it plays out.
I hope Dannen is on top of these programs: women's golf, women's basketball and, of course, this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
Pretty awful, but we'll see how it plays out.
I hope Dannen is on top of these programs: women's golf, women's basketball and, of course, this.

Kinda care, do not care, I'm sure he is

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:04 am 
Riptide Level

If things continue like this for the baseball team, we might want to start looking around. My periodontist was a catcher for Ole Miss and thinks we should get Andy Cannizaro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 am 
President's Circle

For over a year now we have watched our bullpen implode. Nobody can throw strikes, we seem to hit batter after batter and wild pitches are the norm. Some of it can be attributed to using a lot of young pitchers that are trying to do too much. However, given how pervasive the issue is there has to be more to it. Perhaps the coaches are putting so much pressure on the kids to throw strikes that it is having the opposite effect. Regardless, we don’t need a pitchiing coach. We desperately need a sports psychologist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 am 
Coach Level

I'll never understand how a kid can be a D1 recruit and can't throw strikes. Obviously the recruiting is way down based on the results the past few years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:25 am 
Navigator Level

I'm going to assume that you have all each approached and voiced your concerns in person with TD or someone on his staff.

Because this really sucks. It appears that our current situation is still floundering. AGAINST SOUTHEASTERN. AND UNO.

unacceptable.

For whatever reason: pitching, game management, recruiting.

I think our visions of realistically making a play at post season faded after this midweek of games.

And people complain about TJ's personality, but honestly I could care less if he wasn't a dynamic person if we were playing well.

And how we can mess up a good thing with golf? This last person chosen wasn't on Dannen, but JT Horton is still around and Janine Fellows who is an alum is the assistant at Clemson still.

P.S. USL beat the corndogs in a walkoff. This is going to take a miracle to get through the rest of the midweek games against state rivals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 am 
Cornerstone

chitown4tu wrote:
If things continue like this for the baseball team, we might want to start looking around. My periodontist was a catcher for Ole Miss and thinks we should get Andy Cannizaro

Well, it's settled

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:16 am 
Navigator Level

The whole point of bringing in tons of JUCO recruits is to turn things around quickly. That doesn't appear to have happened. What does our next year pipeline of recruits look like?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 am 
President's Circle

I was more willing to look past last year than most, but this trend is disturbing. At this point we are well outside of post-season contention which should be the expectation for this program. If things don't get better quickly I hope TD weighs all options.

However, there is 0 chance we or any other school hires AC right now. He shouldn't even be under consideration should we look to make a move.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 am 
Navigator Level

Game management issue evident in the bottom of the ninth, Sat. vs CSF.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am 
Riptide Level

At this downward rate, Tulane could NOT QUALIFY for the league tournament. What have they demonstrated in their play lately that would argue against that? What would everyone think if TU was left completely OUT of the 8-team double elimination setup (the #9 finisher DOES NOT GO) ?

https://static.theamerican.org/custompa ... racket.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am 
Emerald Circle

IM42lane wrote:
At this downward rate, Tulane could NOT QUALIFY for the league tournament. What have they demonstrated in their play lately that would argue against that? What would everyone think if TU was left completely OUT of the 8-team double elimination setup (the #9 finisher DOES NOT GO) ?

Nice to see you turned off the all bold, all the time, font.

Hey, I’m looking for small victories these days. :-D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am 
Coach Level

IM42lane wrote:

Well, the hitting/run production would argue against that.

The pitching is alarming. Between pitcher management at the end of the Saturday and Tuesday games and inability of 3 guys to throw strikes last night, it doesn't look good right now.

It's still March 8th though, so it may be a little early to write off the season still.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:32 am 
President's Circle

IM42lane wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have new blood :angel:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

murphwave wrote:
The whole point of bringing in tons of JUCO recruits is to turn things around quickly. That doesn't appear to have happened. What does our next year pipeline of recruits look like?

Seems to have worked for hitting. Next class needs to be pitcher heavy.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm 
Coach Level

waverider wrote:
murphwave wrote:

Seems to have worked for hitting. Next class needs to be pitcher heavy.

The hitting has been good but it’s not really the JUCO’s or freshman that are responsible for that. Of the newcomers Only Ty Johnson is putting up good numbers at the plate.
Acy Owen is 3-29
Trevor Jensen is 12-52

And this class was pitcher heavy: Mcaffer, White, Green, Koppenhaver, Johnson and Roper.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:30 pm 
President's Circle

NJwave wrote:
For over a year now we have watched our bullpen implode. Nobody can throw strikes, we seem to hit batter after batter and wild pitches are the norm. Some of it can be attributed to using a lot of young pitchers that are trying to do too much. However, given how pervasive the issue is there has to be more to it. Perhaps the coaches are putting so much pressure on the kids to throw strikes that it is having the opposite effect. Regardless, we don’t need a pitchiing coach. We desperately need a sports psychologist.

It is my understanding we had a sports psychologist last year who was helping some of the kids on the team, making some headway, and was told his services were no longer needed. He wasn’t a happy camper. Kids on the team loved him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:49 pm 
Navigator Level

I hope next years super secret recruiting class is loaded with impact players and great arms or it will be more of the same.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:51 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I was more willing to look past last year than most, but this trend is disturbing. At this point we are well outside of post-season contention which should be the expectation for this program. If things don't get better quickly I hope TD weighs all options.

However, there is 0 chance we or any other school hires AC right now. He shouldn't even be under consideration should we look to make a move.

You want to see recruiting fall to an all time low, hire AC. What recruiting pitch could he possibly use - perhaps the slider or split finger?

It is a long season and we just have to hope the young pitchers get comfortable. Can we possibly walk more than last years total of 317? I thought that would never be seen again. Like Double D said, it just doesn’t make any sense. Let these kids go back to the pitching coaches they have been working with since they started high school. I bet you would see immediate improvement in a several of them. It can’t hurt.

On the bright side is the play of Artigues and Matthews. Those kids have worked their tails off and they are both playing tremendous baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm 
Cornerstone

We have a baseball coaching staff, and I have not seen any indication that TD is considering any dismissals.

Consequently, all this discussion of hiring a baseball coach is unrealistic and out of line. It's a counter-productive exercise that must stop.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 pm 
Breaker Level

At our booster club meeting coach TJ told us that this past recruiting class he had to spend the majority of his scholarship money on pitchers and didn't have much to spend on the position players. rjc