Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30880
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
We are capable of beating almost anybody in the league which is why this season has been frustrating. Realistically 4 wins in 4 days with no depth is a really big ask.


Tell that to USA curling

Yeah that physically tolling sport of curling!


Bitch, you realize how hard it is to throw a rock straight after 5 beers?

Uh, I've played shuffleboard in a bar before. Same. Same.


Tis not I'm afraid
As a former star sweeper at barroom shuffle board, I just want to interject my 2¢: it is the same game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
Roller wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
We are capable of beating almost anybody in the league which is why this season has been frustrating. Realistically 4 wins in 4 days with no depth is a really big ask.


Tell that to USA curling

Yeah that physically tolling sport of curling!


Bitch, you realize how hard it is to throw a rock straight after 5 beers?

Uh, I've played shuffleboard in a bar before. Same. Same.


Tis not I'm afraid
As a former star sweeper at barroom shuffle board, I just want to interject my 2¢: it is the same game.


You had an ice sheet and 40 poind rocks in your bar?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
GSx wrote:
Pretty bad.
Hope we see real progress next season.


We are so frick close I can taste it. I am so pissed and frustrated right now because we are so gee-whizz close. AAAARGGGGHHH


Close to what?


Nice try troll

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
That’s a legitimate question.


And nobody trolls harder on here than you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:52 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
That’s a legitimate question.


And nobody trolls harder on here than you.


If you're not trolling then you're obtuse, and I don't feel like having to explain the obvious.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
I guess I’m obtuse then because the team I saw tonight and about 30 other times this season wasn’t close to anything of importance.
Not an NCAA Tournament appearance.
Not a conference championship.
Not an NIT appearance.
Nothing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:01 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
I guess I’m obtuse then because the team I saw tonight and about 30 other times this season wasn’t close to anything of importance.
Not an NCAA Tournament appearance.
Not a conference championship.
Not an NIT appearance.
Nothing.


I beg to differ. The potential is there, it just needs to be polished. You honestly don't think that had a few things broken the other way (not luck, but better execution) we wouldn't have been 500 in conference play?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
No. The team was not good enough. Maybe could have realistically won a couple more conference games but not 4 more.
I think very few people would agree with you on that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2648
Location: Baton Rouge
We improved by 8 wins this year. The team played better than last year. We have been bad for about 20 years now. We aren't going to turn it all around year two. Yes, 14-17 isn't a success, but progress and success are two different things. We did progress.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:27 pm
Posts: 321
Location: DC
We progressed this year, but did so with a really good senior and the only player that we've had in probably 2 decades that is getting buzz as a first round NBA pick. If they are both gone and we don't have a strong group of young players and AAC caliber recruits coming in, we're heading right back to the basement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
No. The team was not good enough. Maybe could have realistically won a couple more conference games but not 4 more.
I think very few people would agree with you on that.


We obviously weren't good enough or we would have won. What I'm saying is we are better execution and maybe a PG upgrade away from a first round bye in the conference tournament

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
Poseidon wrote:
We improved by 8 wins this year. The team played better than last year. We have been bad for about 20 years now. We aren't going to turn it all around year two. Yes, 14-17 isn't a success, but progress and success are two different things. We did progress.


We were competitive in at least 75% of the games we played that is a huge improvement

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
No. The team was not good enough. Maybe could have realistically won a couple more conference games but not 4 more.
I think very few people would agree with you on that.


We obviously weren't good enough or we would have won. What I'm saying is we are better execution and maybe a PG upgrade away from a first round bye in the conference tournament


That’s absurd. We are not anywhere close to a top 4 team in this conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:02 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
No. The team was not good enough. Maybe could have realistically won a couple more conference games but not 4 more.
I think very few people would agree with you on that.


We obviously weren't good enough or we would have won. What I'm saying is we are better execution and maybe a PG upgrade away from a first round bye in the conference tournament


That’s absurd. We are not anywhere close to a top 4 team in this conference.


Instead of reflexively responding parse what I am saying and think about it. You might be surprised

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
It’s hard to take seriously. You may be the only person who thinks that we were very close.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:16 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20209
Location: New Orleans
I think we're closer than you think, but then I actually go to the games and have been for years. As opposed to watching the occasional game or two on the boob tube.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
It’s hard to take seriously. You may be the only person who thinks that we were very close.


So you didn't do as I asked.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:47 am
Posts: 125
"We might end up with 7 guys looking to improve their game for the NBA but that doesn't necessarily translate to a good college team."

if we had 7 guys who had even a somewhat rationale thought that they could play in the NBA, we'd be a dramatically better team just based on winning some games on talent.

i say MD goes all in the "most improved player" 2 x in a row/NBA potential and gets some JUCO help in here this offseason.

a Embo/Daniels/Cornish/Moses Wood?/Sehic/Paul is a frightening first 6


Last edited by Shu40 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3624
Location: Marietta, GA
I can't believe I'm saying this, but our first critical step for next season is to find a consistent scorer on offense, someone who can get us 20 pts/game, every game. We need a go-to guy. I've always believed that I'd rather have five 10pt/game scorers than a 30pt/game scorer and the rest role players, but Dunleavy's style of play lends it to having at least one guy who can consistently score. Ideally, we need a post up player who has a great inside game; and a shooter from the threes who can light it up consistently--a 40% shooter from threes who can do it EVERY GAME.

I believe that Dunleavy will not change his style of play to fit the college game; no 40 minutes of hell, no cutting pick-and-roll against the zone defense, both of which can "buy" you points. We need to get that guy who has a creative offensive game. Right now, it doesn't exist on this roster.

Sehic is a 10pt/night power forward; Embo is an adequate point guard, but not a real offensive threat; Slater, same thing, although he can drive to the hoop better than Embo; the twin towers are projects at best; Frazier is gone, you have to figure, but even he is not enough of a consistent scorer; Paul is a leaper, period, and sloppy to boot; Daniels is not a create-your-own-shot guy YET; Cornish is not a scorer. So the question remains, where is the scoring going to come from, especially against a zone?

I truly hope the Dunleavy can come up with a rabbit out of his hat and find a lights out guy from Croatia or Australia or somewhere. Without it, we will struggle next season.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10037
I think there's a decent chance that Daniels/Cornish can replace what Reynolds/Frazier gave us at the top of our roster...if we're going to have a 3rd consecutive MIP, my too early prediction is Cornish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
GreenieBacker wrote:
I think we're closer than you think, but then I actually go to the games and have been for years. As opposed to watching the occasional game or two on the boob tube.


I love how you think you going to the games makes you a better authority on whether or not the team is close or not. I also like how you think you know how many games I went to and or watched on TV.

If you just watched that 2-11 stretch and think we’re close, I’m not going to argue with you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20209
Location: New Orleans
fine with me, honestly you come across as a pretty miserable person.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
:lol: Because I didn’t think that this basketball team was any good I’m a miserable person? LOL. That’s ridiculous
Couldn’t be further from the truth.
I’m not.
Not at all. I just don’t think that the basketball team is good. And they’ll probably be losing the 2 best players.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18645
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I think most arguments here or anyplace where one is not face to face can be prevented by starting off with the statement “I respectfully disagree” and then lay out one’s thoughts without calling into question the other person’s mental state, pedigree, experience, or motivation. I don’t always practice this but when I do, for the most part it goes better.

A lot of things we write would get you punched in the face in person. Don’t be that person.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Temple
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20675
Location: Chicago
TUPF wrote:

A lot of things we write would get you punched in the face in person.


I respectfully disagree

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group