Tulane vs Purdue

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane vs Purdue

Post by waverider »

Purdue is 8-1 in neutral site games and 0-1 away this year. Their Friday starter has a 0.92 era and the Saturday guy is 1.65. Their Sunday starter is first in the Big 10 with a 0.87 era.

The three starters have allowed a combined 6 earned runs this season.

Tonight is apparently their first night game
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Purdue

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Their 3 hitters over .400 combined to go 2 for 12 tonight. Great bounceback effort from this pitching staff that was in severe need of one.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Just a brilliant performance by Roper.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Wave with a big win tonight. Great pitching duel. Roper and Andrews were outstanding. Bullpen holds on to 1-0 victory. And what about Artigues with a very clutch hit. That kid has improved so so much. A win against a very good team. Roll Wave!!
Last edited by tjtlja on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

1309th WAVE wrote:Their 3 hitters over .400 combined to go 2 for 12 tonight. Great bounceback effort from this pitching staff that was in severe need of one.
:!: :!: :!: :-D :-D :-D
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Great game. Tulane used three pitchers - is that correct?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Roper went 8 innings. Johnson went a third of an inning and Sam closed it out.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

tjtlja wrote:Roper went 8 innings. Johnson went a third of an inning and Sam closed it out.
tks.

https://twitter.com/tulanerecruits/stat ... 9691505665
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote:Wave with a big win tonight. Great pitching duel. Roper and Andrews were outstanding. Bullpen holds on to 1-0 victory. And what about Artigues with a very clutch hit. That kid has improved so so much. A win against a very good team. Roll Wave!!
Artigues looks much more comfortable in the field than he did catching. Hoese had our only 2 hits for a while. He’s having a pretty good season too.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

waverider wrote:
tjtlja wrote:Wave with a big win tonight. Great pitching duel. Roper and Andrews were outstanding. Bullpen holds on to 1-0 victory. And what about Artigues with a very clutch hit. That kid has improved so so much. A win against a very good team. Roll Wave!!
Artigues looks much more comfortable in the field than he did catching. Hoese had our only 2 hits for a while. He’s having a pretty good season too.
Big game for Hoese
He is from Indiana and played with and against some of the Purdue players
His mom went to Purdue.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

If guys like Hoese and Artigues keep playing well people may have to re-evaluate their opinions on how bad of a recruiter that David Pierce was.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

waverider wrote:

Remember, Jonathan never caught at any level until last year. The fact he stepped up shows you the type of character he has. Catching is the toughest position on the field. That experience plus summer ball prepared him for what he is doing now. In other words, he has worked his butt off.

On the subject of summer ball, I could never understand why players skip those leagues. The reps at the plate and in the field are so valuable. Plus the entire experience is something you will never forget. If you play everyday, it makes you a better ball player. We have had so many kids pass on playing. If I was the coach, you are playing summer ball unless you are injured.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

tjtlja wrote:
waverider wrote:

Remember, Jonathan never caught at any level until last year. The fact he stepped up shows you the type of character he has. Catching is the toughest position on the field. That experience plus summer ball prepared him for what he is doing now. In other words, he has worked his butt off.

On the subject of summer ball, I could never understand why players skip those leagues. The reps at the plate and in the field are so valuable. Plus the entire experience is something you will never forget. If you play everyday, it makes you a better ball player. We have had so many kids pass on playing. If I was the coach, you are playing summer ball unless you are injured.
AMEN on the summer ball stuff !!!!! The reps really are the thing.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

The reps are obviously valuable but I don’t necessarily agree with that. If you throw 85, skip the summer league and add some velocity. No matter how many reps you’ve got it’s going to be tough for most guys to get outs like that.
Same with hitters, if your exit velocity isn’t good, spend the summer improving it. Some of these summer leagues aren’t exactly filled with stiff competition.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

visualmagic wrote:The reps are obviously valuable but I don’t necessarily agree with that. If you throw 85, skip the summer league and add some velocity. No matter how many reps you’ve got it’s going to be tough for most guys to get outs like that.
Same with hitters, if your exit velocity isn’t good, spend the summer improving it. Some of these summer leagues aren’t exactly filled with stiff competition.
But some of these leagues are great for a college player. "Choose Wisely"
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

[quote][/quote]Remember, Jonathan never caught at any level until last year. The fact he stepped up shows you the type of character he has. Catching is the toughest position on the field. That experience plus summer ball prepared him for what he is doing now. In other words, he has worked his butt off. [quote]

THIS. Not to be pissy.....But I do recall myself & others stating that losing a proven catcher in JROG & not having a healthy one, or any at all, definitely affected pitching last year. But yourself & others talked about that wasn't a huge deal.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

visualmagic wrote:If guys like Hoese and Artigues keep playing well people may have to re-evaluate their opinions on how bad of a recruiter that David Pierce was.

PITCHING...He recruited no future pitching... hence the reason most of our pitchers are raw & will need time to develop. Hence the reason some kids will be left out on mound to get out of jams b/c they need to learn how to PITCH at this level. Jewett doesn't care when we think someone should be pulled. If you pull young kids out every time they get in a jam they expect it. You need to let them figure it out & sometimes getting your butt kicked brings out what type of player you will become. Coaching isn't as easy as some of us think up here.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

BACONWAVE wrote:

THIS. Not to be pissy.....But I do recall myself & others stating that losing a proven catcher in JROG & not having a healthy one, or any at all, definitely affected pitching last year. But yourself & others talked about that wasn't a huge deal.
Catching is tough, but it really has nothing to do with how a pitcher actually pitches. Sure, he can try to calm him down but he cannot throw the ball for him. For example, when my son was at UT he caught six guys who were all drafted very high. Two of them are already playing in the show. He had absolutely nothing to do with that. Those kids are where they are today because of their God given talent. In fact, those guys were very easy to catch because they could hit their spots over and over. What is tough about the position is catching guys who are wild plus the ability to keep the running game in check.

My reference to Jonathan and catching was simply he would do anything to get on the field. That is desire and you cannot teach it.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

visualmagic wrote:The reps are obviously valuable but I don’t necessarily agree with that. If you throw 85, skip the summer league and add some velocity. No matter how many reps you’ve got it’s going to be tough for most guys to get outs like that.

You would be surprised how many good and bad pitchers there are in summer leagues and how closely they mimic most college games. Exit velocity and trying to increase your velocity as a pitcher are important but they really apply to a very small sample size. By the time most of the pitchers reach the D1 level, they have basically maxed out on velocity. Learning how to pitch, learning how to get hitters out, location, working on a third type of pitch, and fighting thru adversity when you don’t have your best stuff can only be learned by playing an actual game and summer ball is perfect for this. You need all these traits, plus control, to be good at the college level.

From a hitting standpoint, I think the reps you get in summer ball are so valuable. I know both of my sons learned so much such as plate discipline, hitting your pitch as opposed to hitting the pitchers pitch, using the entire field, and being a quality two strike hitter which defines the best hitters. This can only be achieved by playing the game live.

Also, the coaches you play for can be so helpful. At Santa Barbara, two of the coaches are long term scouts for the Yankees and the White Sox, plus Dimitri Young was with them for a couple of years. Listening to a different voice, a different approach, can elevate your game. It is all good and can only help in my opinion.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:If guys like Hoese and Artigues keep playing well people may have to re-evaluate their opinions on how bad of a recruiter that David Pierce was.

PITCHING...He recruited no future pitching... hence the reason most of our pitchers are raw & will need time to develop. Hence the reason some kids will be left out on mound to get out of jams b/c they need to learn how to PITCH at this level. Jewett doesn't care when we think someone should be pulled. If you pull young kids out every time they get in a jam they expect it. You need to let them figure it out & sometimes getting your butt kicked brings out what type of player you will become. Coaching isn't as easy as some of us think up here.
+1
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tjtlja wrote:

You would be surprised how many good and bad pitchers there are in summer leagues and how closely they mimic most college games. Exit velocity and trying to increase your velocity as a pitcher are important but they really apply to a very small sample size. By the time most of the pitchers reach the D1 level, they have basically maxed out on velocity. Learning how to pitch, learning how to get hitters out, location, working on a third type of pitch, and fighting thru adversity when you don’t have your best stuff can only be learned by playing an actual game and summer ball is perfect for this. You need all these traits, plus control, to be good at the college level.

From a hitting standpoint, I think the reps you get in summer ball are so valuable. I know both of my sons learned so much such as plate discipline, hitting your pitch as opposed to hitting the pitchers pitch, using the entire field, and being a quality two strike hitter which defines the best hitters. This can only be achieved by playing the game live.

Also, the coaches you play for can be so helpful. At Santa Barbara, two of the coaches are long term scouts for the Yankees and the White Sox, plus Dimitri Young was with them for a couple of years. Listening to a different voice, a different approach, can elevate your game. It is all good and can only help in my opinion.
I think you’d be surprised at how many guys actually could add velocity if they used the right methods.
Same with hitting. We had very similarly lineups in 15 and 16. Hit 29 HRs in 15 and 66 in 16. Guys had to start hitting the ball harder for that to happen and guys like Willsey that went from like 0 HRs to 10 and Hope who went from 4 to 14, I don’t think either played in a Summer league
Last edited by visualmagic on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

BACONWAVE wrote:

He recruited an absolute ace in Ross Massey. Not Pierce’s fault that Jewett’s staff can’t get him right.
Gillies looks pretty good too. Solesky was good for us last year.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Start time for today's game pushed back to 3:00, due to incoming rain.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I hope Keagan has another great game today.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Nice series win
Victory is never permanent