Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 am 
President's Circle

I would say I can't believe how many people don't get the point of the thread, but then I've been reading the forum for years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am 
Emerald Circle

double d wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
The guy who predicted that this team would be better than last years team doesn’t have any room to talk

I'm not wrong yet, you clearly are.

No way in hell this team is better than last years, and that is a very low bar to top.

Yes yes... let the dark side flow through you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:44 am 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
I would say I can't believe how many people don't get the point of the thread, but then I've been reading the forum for years.

You can't fix stupid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
How’s the over on the wins total looking?

You're asking the wrong person

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 am 
President's Circle

In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 am 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Who should I be asking?

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:

You can't fix stupid

What about people that quote catchphrases from the blue collar comedy tour? Can you fix them? :lol:

Last edited by visualmagic on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am 
Coach Level

Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.

Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 am 
Emerald Circle

thank you windy, this Topic has just GREAT potential to amuse (and its paying off already!) :-D

Oh, and Poseidon wonderful synopsis, dead on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.

It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

Baseball is rebuilding, all you have to do is look at the roster and see all the underclassmen. Whether they have adequate talent or not is the question that needs answering by Jewett. If not, he should be held accountable, just as Jones was at the end of his career here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am 
Coach Level

Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

Baseball is rebuilding, all you have to do is look at the roster and see all the underclassmen. Whether they have adequate talent or not is the question that needs answering by Jewett. If not, he should be held accountable, just as Jones was at the end of his career here.

Let’s look at the lineup
C Acy Owen JR
1B Trevor Jensen JR
2B Artigues Redshirt Sophomore
SS Gozzo Soph
3B Hoese Soph
CF Spoon Jr
LF Ty Johnson JR
RF Heinrichs SR
DH Rowland SR
Freshman Bedgood fills in at different spots depending on the day
Starting Rotation
Roper JR
Gillies Soph
White SR
Massey JR
Bates FR
Key bullpen guys; Mcaffer JR, Bjorngjeld SR, Pellerin FR,

Does that look like a young team? How about last season? Young and rebuilding then too?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 am 
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Who should I be asking?

Idk, someone who didn't take the under?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

This is 1) kinda silly and b) not true...our resources aren't so limited that they can't support more than one program at a time. Men's basketball is certainly getting resources and support...Dunleavy is making more than Conroy, and I'd wager that the team isn't staying at Motel 6 when they travel. Why do you think baseball's "problem" is one of resources anyway? Jewett was the top assistant from the ~top program in the country...we certainly could have gone cheaper there if we wanted to.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am 
President's Circle

ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

This is 1) kinda silly and b) not true...our resources aren't so limited that they can't support more than one program at a time. Men's basketball is certainly getting resources and support...Dunleavy is making more than Conroy, and I'd wager that the team isn't staying at Motel 6 when they travel. Why do you think baseball's "problem" is one of resources anyway? Jewett was the top assistant from the ~top program in the country...we certainly could have gone cheaper there if we wanted to.

The point is not that programs cannot be supported. The point is that, if any institutional problems exist, which is part of the argument of difficult recruiting restrictions, that any additional existing resources are going to help the football program (MBB to a lesser extent)--which is understandable. Once football is on its feet and able to support the other sports, then the institutional restrictions (ie tuition relief) can be dealt with much easier. As always, you have to follow the money.

I'm not letting Jewett off the hook here, I have not watched the team play and their record is subpar for Tulane, no doubt about it. All I'm saying is that we are playing an AAC league with a CUSA-level of resources. Football is where we need to focus competitively until we get our act together elsewhere.

As usual, ml wave, you are as nice and articulate as ever.

BTW, did anyone see the pajamas Vandy was wearing in baseball the other night?! Ugliest unis I have ever seen--black jersey, black pants, black socks and gold/white pinstripes. Whew!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:07 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Who should I be asking?

windywave wrote:

What about people that quote catchphrases from the blue collar comedy tour? Can you fix them? :lol:

Do I amuse you, like a clown?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:

The point is not that programs cannot be supported. The point is that, if any institutional problems exist, which is part of the argument of difficult recruiting restrictions, that any additional existing resources are going to help the football program (MBB to a lesser extent)--which is understandable. Once football is on its feet and able to support the other sports, then the institutional restrictions (ie tuition relief) can be dealt with much easier. As always, you have to follow the money.

I'm not letting Jewett off the hook here, I have not watched the team play and their record is subpar for Tulane, no doubt about it. All I'm saying is that we are playing an AAC league with a CUSA-level of resources. Football is where we need to focus competitively until we get our act together elsewhere.

As usual, ml wave, you are as nice and articulate as ever.

BTW, did anyone see the pajamas Vandy was wearing in baseball the other night?! Ugliest unis I have ever seen--black jersey, black pants, black socks and gold/white pinstripes. Whew!

Why thanks!

I get what you're saying, but think you are mistaken. Our "institutional restrictions" are not any more restrictive than they were before Jewett's hire, right? When you say baseball has CUSA-level resources, what do you mean? Our facility, schedule, and coaching salaries are far from CUSA-level. Others would know better than me about our recruiting budget, but I seriously doubt that's an issue (plenty of baseball talent within a quick SWA flight).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:46 am 
Navigator Level

This year, we lose Rowland, White, Bjorngjeld (all seniors) and most probably Spoon as a JR, (Heinrichs is a Jr)

We may have almost the same line-up next year????????????????????????? :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm 
Navigator Level

I can attest that we do not have "CUSA" level facilities. The only facilities in CUSA that are impressive are FAU's. Everyone else in CUSA are on par with Texas high schools. Maybe LaTech can be considered to have decent facilities.

We are competitive in AAC in facilities and definitely better than Louisiana Tech's.

USF plays football at Raymond James, and Houston's baseball park reminds me of Pete's Trailer Park, and Yukon plays at some recreation park type facility ..... so to whoever says our facilities are the problem: talk to the hand.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
President's Circle

CletusRelm wrote:
This year, we lose Rowland, White, Bjorngjeld (all seniors) and most probably Spoon as a JR, (Heinrichs is a Jr)

We may have almost the same line-up next year????????????????????????? :?

No, not at all. Counting recruits signed to date, we have 51 players that will show up next fall unless some guys decide to come back.

By the way, we are beating Wichita State 8-0 in the top of the 2nd if anyone cares. Great start!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
thank you windy, this Topic has just GREAT potential to amuse (and its paying off already!) :-D

Would you have deleted this topic if someone from the so called doom and gloom club would have started this thread?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

Would you have deleted this topic if someone from the so called doom and gloom club would have started this thread?

It's the hemlock society. Get it straight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 pm 
President's Circle

Now 11-0 in the second with nine hits. The boys are taking out some frustration on the Shockers.

Make it 12-0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
Regent's Circle

Wichita definitely didn't do themselves any favors in the field on that 69 pitch 16 batter frame, but I'll take it. About damn time it happens to someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

The board’s weirdness has extended to making this a mini scoreboard thread. I just hope our pitching stays solid enough long enough to make WSU write this one off early.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
The board’s weirdness has extended to making this a mini scoreboard thread. I just hope our pitching stays solid enough long enough to make WSU write this one off early.

I'm just waiting for the complaints of how we stranded people on base in a big inning by not sacrificing a whole fried chicken

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next