Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4227
Location: Wichita
I would say I can't believe how many people don't get the point of the thread, but then I've been reading the forum for years.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:43 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19763
Location: Chicago
double d wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
The guy who predicted that this team would be better than last years team doesn’t have any room to talk


I'm not wrong yet, you clearly are.



No way in hell this team is better than last years, and that is a very low bar to top.


Yes yes... let the dark side flow through you

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:44 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19763
Location: Chicago
gerryb323 wrote:
I would say I can't believe how many people don't get the point of the thread, but then I've been reading the forum for years.


You can't fix stupid

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9792
visualmagic wrote:
How’s the over on the wins total looking?

You're asking the wrong person


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:11 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2342
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
How’s the over on the wins total looking?

You're asking the wrong person


Who should I be asking?


windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
I would say I can't believe how many people don't get the point of the thread, but then I've been reading the forum for years.


You can't fix stupid


What about people that quote catchphrases from the blue collar comedy tour? Can you fix them? :lol:


Last edited by visualmagic on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2342
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20037
Location: New Orleans
thank you windy, this Topic has just GREAT potential to amuse (and its paying off already!) :-D

Oh, and Poseidon wonderful synopsis, dead on.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

Baseball is rebuilding, all you have to do is look at the roster and see all the underclassmen. Whether they have adequate talent or not is the question that needs answering by Jewett. If not, he should be held accountable, just as Jones was at the end of his career here.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2342
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

Baseball is rebuilding, all you have to do is look at the roster and see all the underclassmen. Whether they have adequate talent or not is the question that needs answering by Jewett. If not, he should be held accountable, just as Jones was at the end of his career here.

Let’s look at the lineup
C Acy Owen JR
1B Trevor Jensen JR
2B Artigues Redshirt Sophomore
SS Gozzo Soph
3B Hoese Soph
CF Spoon Jr
LF Ty Johnson JR
RF Heinrichs SR
DH Rowland SR
Freshman Bedgood fills in at different spots depending on the day
Starting Rotation
Roper JR
Gillies Soph
White SR
Massey JR
Bates FR
Key bullpen guys; Mcaffer JR, Bjorngjeld SR, Pellerin FR,

Does that look like a young team? How about last season? Young and rebuilding then too?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9792
visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
How’s the over on the wins total looking?

You're asking the wrong person


Who should I be asking?

Idk, someone who didn't take the under?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9792
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

This is 1) kinda silly and b) not true...our resources aren't so limited that they can't support more than one program at a time. Men's basketball is certainly getting resources and support...Dunleavy is making more than Conroy, and I'd wager that the team isn't staying at Motel 6 when they travel. Why do you think baseball's "problem" is one of resources anyway? Jewett was the top assistant from the ~top program in the country...we certainly could have gone cheaper there if we wanted to.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

This is 1) kinda silly and b) not true...our resources aren't so limited that they can't support more than one program at a time. Men's basketball is certainly getting resources and support...Dunleavy is making more than Conroy, and I'd wager that the team isn't staying at Motel 6 when they travel. Why do you think baseball's "problem" is one of resources anyway? Jewett was the top assistant from the ~top program in the country...we certainly could have gone cheaper there if we wanted to.


The point is not that programs cannot be supported. The point is that, if any institutional problems exist, which is part of the argument of difficult recruiting restrictions, that any additional existing resources are going to help the football program (MBB to a lesser extent)--which is understandable. Once football is on its feet and able to support the other sports, then the institutional restrictions (ie tuition relief) can be dealt with much easier. As always, you have to follow the money.

I'm not letting Jewett off the hook here, I have not watched the team play and their record is subpar for Tulane, no doubt about it. All I'm saying is that we are playing an AAC league with a CUSA-level of resources. Football is where we need to focus competitively until we get our act together elsewhere.

As usual, ml wave, you are as nice and articulate as ever.

BTW, did anyone see the pajamas Vandy was wearing in baseball the other night?! Ugliest unis I have ever seen--black jersey, black pants, black socks and gold/white pinstripes. Whew!

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19763
Location: Chicago
visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
How’s the over on the wins total looking?

You're asking the wrong person


Who should I be asking?


windywave wrote:

What about people that quote catchphrases from the blue collar comedy tour? Can you fix them? :lol:


Do I amuse you, like a clown?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 9792
Rotorooter wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
In today's college sports landscape, only football matters. To Tulane, our big bet is on football and its success. All else follows. Until it does, baseball is just a diversion and symptomatic to this goal. Everything else is howling at the moon. Gotta side with windy on this one.


Obviously football is the most important but that doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity and worse in the other sports. Trying to win in baseball doesn’t mean we have to give any less effort and energy into winning in football.


It's all about allocation of limited resources. Our big athletics bet and focus is on football, as it should be. Once fixed, all other issues will be addressed and solved.

This is 1) kinda silly and b) not true...our resources aren't so limited that they can't support more than one program at a time. Men's basketball is certainly getting resources and support...Dunleavy is making more than Conroy, and I'd wager that the team isn't staying at Motel 6 when they travel. Why do you think baseball's "problem" is one of resources anyway? Jewett was the top assistant from the ~top program in the country...we certainly could have gone cheaper there if we wanted to.


The point is not that programs cannot be supported. The point is that, if any institutional problems exist, which is part of the argument of difficult recruiting restrictions, that any additional existing resources are going to help the football program (MBB to a lesser extent)--which is understandable. Once football is on its feet and able to support the other sports, then the institutional restrictions (ie tuition relief) can be dealt with much easier. As always, you have to follow the money.

I'm not letting Jewett off the hook here, I have not watched the team play and their record is subpar for Tulane, no doubt about it. All I'm saying is that we are playing an AAC league with a CUSA-level of resources. Football is where we need to focus competitively until we get our act together elsewhere.

As usual, ml wave, you are as nice and articulate as ever.

BTW, did anyone see the pajamas Vandy was wearing in baseball the other night?! Ugliest unis I have ever seen--black jersey, black pants, black socks and gold/white pinstripes. Whew!

Why thanks!

I get what you're saying, but think you are mistaken. Our "institutional restrictions" are not any more restrictive than they were before Jewett's hire, right? When you say baseball has CUSA-level resources, what do you mean? Our facility, schedule, and coaching salaries are far from CUSA-level. Others would know better than me about our recruiting budget, but I seriously doubt that's an issue (plenty of baseball talent within a quick SWA flight).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:46 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:09 pm
Posts: 978
This year, we lose Rowland, White, Bjorngjeld (all seniors) and most probably Spoon as a JR, (Heinrichs is a Jr)

We may have almost the same line-up next year????????????????????????? :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:21 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 am
Posts: 605
Location: Bestbank
I can attest that we do not have "CUSA" level facilities. The only facilities in CUSA that are impressive are FAU's. Everyone else in CUSA are on par with Texas high schools. Maybe LaTech can be considered to have decent facilities.

We are competitive in AAC in facilities and definitely better than Louisiana Tech's.

USF plays football at Raymond James, and Houston's baseball park reminds me of Pete's Trailer Park, and Yukon plays at some recreation park type facility ..... so to whoever says our facilities are the problem: talk to the hand.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2654
CletusRelm wrote:
This year, we lose Rowland, White, Bjorngjeld (all seniors) and most probably Spoon as a JR, (Heinrichs is a Jr)

We may have almost the same line-up next year????????????????????????? :?


No, not at all. Counting recruits signed to date, we have 51 players that will show up next fall unless some guys decide to come back.

By the way, we are beating Wichita State 8-0 in the top of the 2nd if anyone cares. Great start!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2654
GreenieBacker wrote:
thank you windy, this Topic has just GREAT potential to amuse (and its paying off already!) :-D

Oh, and Poseidon wonderful synopsis, dead on.


Would you have deleted this topic if someone from the so called doom and gloom club would have started this thread?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19763
Location: Chicago
tjtlja wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
thank you windy, this Topic has just GREAT potential to amuse (and its paying off already!) :-D

Oh, and Poseidon wonderful synopsis, dead on.


Would you have deleted this topic if someone from the so called doom and gloom club would have started this thread?


It's the hemlock society. Get it straight

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20037
Location: New Orleans
:lol:

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:01 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2654
Now 11-0 in the second with nine hits. The boys are taking out some frustration on the Shockers.

Make it 12-0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Omnipresent
Wichita definitely didn't do themselves any favors in the field on that 69 pitch 16 batter frame, but I'll take it. About damn time it happens to someone else.

_________________
Banks was in.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24820
Location: New Orleans
The board’s weirdness has extended to making this a mini scoreboard thread. I just hope our pitching stays solid enough long enough to make WSU write this one off early.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19763
Location: Chicago
long green wrote:
The board’s weirdness has extended to making this a mini scoreboard thread. I just hope our pitching stays solid enough long enough to make WSU write this one off early.


I'm just waiting for the complaints of how we stranded people on base in a big inning by not sacrificing a whole fried chicken

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group