Men's Basketball Signs Connor Crabtree

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Donny Z
President's Circle

Men's Basketball Signs Connor Crabtree

Post by Donny Z »

No longer a recruit. On to the big board. Welcome Connor! Big get to hold Memphis off.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/4/ ... ath=mbball
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Men's Basketball Signs Connor Crabtree

Post by waverider »

There is a bitter Memphis fan that tweeted that Connor “obviously doesn’t want to make it to the NBA”.

Connor replied with 3 laughing emojis.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Amazingly, the article neither lists his position, nor his height. From his stats, I assume he's a shooting guard?
Bring home da Wave!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

doncecco wrote:Amazingly, the article neither lists his position, nor his height. From his stats, I assume he's a shooting guard?
I would guess he is a 2 (SG) or a 3 (SF), judging from his tape. He could probably play either position, but I would guess that CMD will put him at 2. Guys like CC help a coach roll out a myriad of different lineups, although I don't think that is MD's SOP.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

Donny Z wrote:No longer a recruit. On to the big board. Welcome Connor! Big get to hold Memphis off.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/4/ ... ath=mbball
:-D :-D :-D
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

doncecco wrote:Amazingly, the article neither lists his position, nor his height. From his stats, I assume he's a shooting guard?
Here’s a 4 page thread on him. I haven’t read them all but I’m sure at least 23% of the posts are about him :-D

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50510
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

CC is 6-foot-6
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Guys on scholarship for next year would be -

Cornish
Ona Embo
Daniels
Barrett
Sehic
Ajang
Koka
Paul
Crabtree
Wood

If that is correct, we have two scholarships to give. There has been some conversation about a possible transfer (would he be eligible next year?). Are there any prospects we are close to getting? What are our chances of filling these spots with quality players this late in the game?
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

I assume its also possible that Frazier will come back. If he is say a late second round pick or goes undrafted, I am thinking he will return to Tulane.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Charlie Dunn wrote:I assume its also possible that Frazier will come back. If he is say a late second round pick or goes undrafted, I am thinking he will return to Tulane.
Problem with that is, unlike baseball, he has to decide before the draft. So it will be based on what teams are telling him.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote:Guys on scholarship for next year would be -

Cornish
Ona Embo
Daniels
Barrett
Sehic
Ajang
Koka
Paul
Crabtree
Wood

If that is correct, we have two scholarships to give. There has been some conversation about a possible transfer (would he be eligible next year?). Are there any prospects we are close to getting? What are our chances of filling these spots with quality players this late in the game?
The transfer is a grad transfer, so he would be eligible this fall.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

FTW's list - he has Tulane with three openings.

https://twitter.com/FearTheWaveBlog/sta ... 7285929990
Donny Z
President's Circle

Post by Donny Z »

3 is correct. 1 of those 3 is Melvin’s.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane has had contact with at least 1 grad transfer guard that I have read about on Twitter (Mike Cunningham who is also getting interest from Okla., Okla. State and Louisville)...; plus Mike Wynn -- a 6-foot-5 guard who was released from his scholarship at ECU when Jeff Lebo got canned. He'd be a freshman.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Sought-after guard Connor Crabtree signs with Tulane men's hoops

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... 17bed.html

“He is exactly the type of player we are looking for,” Tulane coach Mike Dunleavy said. “Connor is a playmaker, highly skilled and an excellent outside shooter. His combination of talent and work ethic give him a great chance to succeed in our system and achieve great things.”
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

To make a broad generalization, we need quickness. MD seems to be focusing on tall shooters (and he publicly said he would, so no surprise). But our recurring achilles' heel is being too slow on defense. Other teams' guards repeatedly blow past ours and get into the lane, either to score, drop off to a big after a rotation, or kick out to a shooter at the 3pt arc. The problem with all these 6'5 to 6'8 perimeter guys is unless you find Frazier-level talent and defensive quickness (which apparently means 1st round NBA draft pick), or unless your shooters all shoot like 67%, you will lose if you can't stop anyone. MD doesn't seem to think defense matters and as some have opined before (myself included), this may be a function of the NBA mindset where everyone is an elite athlete with great quickness who doesn't need much defensive coaching. That doesn't fly in the NCAA.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote:To make a broad generalization, we need quickness. MD seems to be focusing on tall shooters (and he publicly said he would, so no surprise). But our recurring achilles' heel is being too slow on defense. Other teams' guards repeatedly blow past ours and get into the lane, either to score, drop off to a big after a rotation, or kick out to a shooter at the 3pt arc. The problem with all these 6'5 to 6'8 perimeter guys is unless you find Frazier-level talent and defensive quickness (which apparently means 1st round NBA draft pick), or unless your shooters all shoot like 67%, you will lose if you can't stop anyone. MD doesn't seem to think defense matters and as some have opined before (myself included), this may be a function of the NBA mindset where everyone is an elite athlete with great quickness who doesn't need much defensive coaching. That doesn't fly in the NCAA.
Pete, while I agree with most of this sentiment, CC looks to be pretty quick on his feet. I think he will ultimately be a 3 in MD's scheme, for the reasons you stated about the AAC's quick guards blowing past our guys. But we need shooters in the worst way, and CC is a good start. In fact, the new trend in MBB is the tall, outside guy who can shoot 3's. Michigan and Villanova both had one of those guys, but they were 6'10" and taller. Hopefully, we can get one or two quick PG's or SG's who can defend. I'd like to think we'll have a tall shot-blocker that will take care of the drive--or, for lack of anything else, make the driver "pay" for coming into the lane. Need meat on the bones of Koka and Ajang. They each have 5 to give, make 'em count.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

I think we need to bring in an assistant with college experience. In theory Stewart is supposed to be fulfilling that role but it hasn’t worked. I like Dunleavy but our defense and clock management down the stretch has not been good.

I doubt his son would leave his head coaching position at Quinnipiac for an assistant coaching position but he would be ideal.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

NJwave wrote:I think we need to bring in an assistant with college experience. In theory Stewart is supposed to be fulfilling that role but it hasn’t worked. I like Dunleavy but our defense and clock management down the stretch has not been good.

I doubt his son would leave his head coaching position at Quinnipiac for an assistant coaching position but he would be ideal.
Enough money and promise of HC job would do it
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

why are you saying that having Stewart as our Assistant hasn't worked out? There is nothing that I can see to base that on. Dunleavy may be perfectly happy with him and what he's doing.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

NJwave wrote:I think we need to bring in an assistant with college experience. In theory Stewart is supposed to be fulfilling that role but it hasn’t worked. I like Dunleavy but our defense and clock management down the stretch has not been good.

If the son is doing well he won’t leave because it would reduce his options to one. If he’s not we’d be locked in to an iffy at best continuation of a present we’re not yet sold on. Ideal? No.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:

Enough money and promise of HC job would do it
Why on earth would we want to promise him the HC job?
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Assistant HC Stewart seems to be working hard at recruiting- I wouldn’t be so quick to minimize this staffs efforts and ability to bring in better players.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Doc, what do you think of Crabtree and what position do you think he will play?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:To make a broad generalization, we need quickness. MD seems to be focusing on tall shooters (and he publicly said he would, so no surprise). But our recurring achilles' heel is being too slow on defense. Other teams' guards repeatedly blow past ours and get into the lane, either to score, drop off to a big after a rotation, or kick out to a shooter at the 3pt arc. The problem with all these 6'5 to 6'8 perimeter guys is unless you find Frazier-level talent and defensive quickness (which apparently means 1st round NBA draft pick), or unless your shooters all shoot like 67%, you will lose if you can't stop anyone. MD doesn't seem to think defense matters and as some have opined before (myself included), this may be a function of the NBA mindset where everyone is an elite athlete with great quickness who doesn't need much defensive coaching. That doesn't fly in the NCAA.
Pete, while I agree with most of this sentiment, CC looks to be pretty quick on his feet. I think he will ultimately be a 3 in MD's scheme, for the reasons you stated about the AAC's quick guards blowing past our guys. But we need shooters in the worst way, and CC is a good start. In fact, the new trend in MBB is the tall, outside guy who can shoot 3's. Michigan and Villanova both had one of those guys, but they were 6'10" and taller. Hopefully, we can get one or two quick PG's or SG's who can defend. I'd like to think we'll have a tall shot-blocker that will take care of the drive--or, for lack of anything else, make the driver "pay" for coming into the lane. Need meat on the bones of Koka and Ajang. They each have 5 to give, make 'em count.
Ideally, yes, I agree with everything you said. It is the trend. But the teams succeeding with what you describe - and what MD wants - are getting those NBA-quick guys. I don't think we're at a point where we are going to bring in a constant stream of Fraziers. And if we aren't, will we succeed enough to improve enough to eventually do so?