Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:43 pm 
President's Circle

Goes for the sweep in game two. Gilles and White combine for the shut out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

Great win especially sweet whenever we beat the Cougars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:20 pm 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Great win especially sweet whenever we beat the Cougars

Getting to be a habit. Football, MBB and now baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

While a sweep would have been great, winning the series and keeping them out of 1st place feels good too!

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 pm 
Navigator Level

We have now won series over two of the teams tied for first. The weekend rotation looks pretty darn good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:33 am 
Navigator Level

It looks like we finally may have found our weekend rotation. :-D

The AAC referees are absolutely the worst in college baseball. I have been saying this since the first season we were in the AAC.

They really SUCK!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 am 
Emerald Circle

CletusRelm wrote:
The AAC referees are absolutely the worst in college baseball. I have been saying this since the first season we were in the AAC.

They really SUCK!
As I have posted here before, the only way the referee situation will change is if you or anyone you know steps up and certifies as a ref. This is not an AAC thing as much as it is a driving distance from Tulane thing. The local pool is the local pool. No one is going to fly in for a 3 game college set of games from anywhere else within the AAC footprint or anywhere else for that matter because the pay isn’t there. College officials might get a couple of hundred dollars a game, if that. This truly is a dance with the girl you brought situation. So if they suck, they suck locally.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 am 
Riptide Level

TUPF wrote:
CletusRelm wrote:

They really SUCK!
As I have posted here before, the only way the referee situation will change is if you or anyone you know steps up and certifies as a ref. This is not an AAC thing as much as it is a driving distance from Tulane thing. The local pool is the local pool. No one is going to fly in for a 3 game college set of games because the pay isn’t there. College officials might get a couple of hundred dollars a game, if that. This truly is a dance with the girl you brought situation. So if they suck, they suck locally.

Baseball = UMPIRES .... Other sports = referees/officials.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 am 
Coach Level

TUPF wrote:
No one is going to fly in for a 3 game college set of games from anywhere else within the AAC footprint or anywhere else for that matter because the pay isn’t there. C

Well actually . . .

Quote:
Umpire leaves to catch flight as Tulane tries to rally against Houston

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... light.html

Quote:
Tulane offered to provide another night of lodging and a meal per diem that could have kept the three-man umpire crew intact for the full game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:35 am 
Navigator Level

One of the "UMPIERS" (you right, my mistake), left the game yesterday. Was it for a flight out of town? Does anyone know the reason he left?

The above answers my question. :-D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 am 
Emerald Circle

IM42lane wrote:
TUPF wrote:
CletusRelm wrote:

They really SUCK!
As I have posted here before, the only way the referee situation will change is if you or anyone you know steps up and certifies as a ref. This is not an AAC thing as much as it is a driving distance from Tulane thing. The local pool is the local pool. No one is going to fly in for a 3 game college set of games because the pay isn’t there. College officials might get a couple of hundred dollars a game, if that. This truly is a dance with the girl you brought situation. So if they suck, they suck locally.

I was using the term referee as a generic term. I am football official and specifically man the umpire position. In football the person who wears the white hat is technically the only referee and the other positions are head linesman, linesman, umpire, back judge, side judge, etc. I am am also wrestling referee.

The generic term amongst ourselves is an official, but that can be confusing for some. I know what I am talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:46 am 
President's Circle

CletusRelm wrote:
It looks like we finally may have found our weekend rotation. :-D

They really SUCK!

I had the pleasure of being a parent of kids on the same baseball team with a 12-year MLB catcher in the 80's & 90's who everyone would know. His said there only three truths of life:
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Lousy Umpires

He always said you have to adjust to the umpiring of that day, b!tching about it does no good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:47 am 
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
No one is going to fly in for a 3 game college set of games from anywhere else within the AAC footprint or anywhere else for that matter because the pay isn’t there. C

Well actually . . .

Quote:

Quote:
Tulane offered to provide another night of lodging and a meal per diem that could have kept the three-man umpire crew intact for the full game.
Well, that kind of proves my point. Money is tight for these guys. No official makes a salary at the college level and you might get a few hundred per game which may or may not include travel, plus per diem. No college football I know loves flying because they usually lose money but can feel compensated by the thrill of the big game. Some might even have designs of getting a pro position. But for the run of the mill high school or college official it’s more of a hobby than a job because no one is getting rich and oftentimes you lose money when you throw in travel.

Last edited by TUPF on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 am 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TUPF wrote:

Well actually . . .

Quote:

Quote:
Well, that kind of proves my point. Money is tight for these guys. No official makes a salary at the college level and you might get a few hundred per game which may or may not include travel, plus per diem. No college football I know loves flying because they usually lose money but feel compensated by the thrill of the big game. Not so for baseball.

Guy has a day job he needed to be back for. Simple as that

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am 
Emerald Circle

as happy as I am that we won this series from Houston, reading the Scoreboard it seemed that a sweep was almost in hand until our pitching imploded late. Still searching for that elusive consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:39 am 
President's Circle

I hope Big Jew got tossed because he said something along the lines of "now I guess you can catch your flight, kind sir"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:53 am 
Navigator Level

I hope Jew got tossed for saying," You Bleeped Bleep Bleep Bleep", You can't ump worth a ####", You can't see worth a ####", "You ####".

Oh, have a nice day and I hope you miss your flight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am 
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:
IM42lane wrote:
TUPF wrote:
CletusRelm wrote:

They really SUCK!

I was using the term referee as a generic term. I am football official and specifically man the umpire position. In football the person who wears the white hat is technically the only referee and the other positions are head linesman, linesman, umpire, back judge, side judge, etc. I am am also wrestling referee.

The generic term amongst ourselves is an official, but that can be confusing for some. I know what I am talking about.
Referees are like crying. There's no referees in baseball.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:23 am 
Emerald Circle

The American Athletic Conference assigns three umpires for all league games, which creates the chance for some games to be completed with only two umpires. Tulane, however, hires four umpires for all non-conference games, the school said.

The lucrative SEC, by comparison, assigns four umpires. The Southland Comference, the league in which UNO plays, appears to assign three, according to a check of box scores.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:32 am 
Cornerstone

GreenieBacker wrote:

The American Athletic Conference assigns three umpires for all league games, which creates the chance for some games to be completed with only two umpires. Tulane, however, hires four umpires for all non-conference games, the school said.

The lucrative SEC, by comparison, assigns four umpires. The Southland Comference, the league in which UNO plays, appears to assign three, according to a check of box scores.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index
iinm, the ACC will have 4 umpires beginning next season.