Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20144
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Tulane will honor the undefeated 1998 team on... 9/8. Nice.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/4/ ... n-9-8.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4250
Most of the kids on this year’s team weren’t even born yet. I feel old.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6780
Location: Dripping Springs
9-8 is cool since it all happened in '98. My son and I came in for the '98 Homecoming game. Should be able to get him involved for another road trip 20 years later.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18231
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
sr wrote:
9-8 is cool since it all happened in '98. My son and I came in for the '98 Homecoming game. Should be able to get him involved for another road trip 20 years later.

My wife and my best Tulanian buddy were there also for our 20th reunion. It was glorious beating Louisville with Redman at QB.

_________________
A&S 1978


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:57 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19730
Location: Chicago
sr wrote:
9-8 is cool since it all happened in '98.


They probably didn't think of that. Wow what a coincidence. :angel:

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19730
Location: Chicago
I hope the he who shall not be named does not make an appearance

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:49 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8294
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
windywave wrote:
I hope the he who shall not be named does not make an appearance


There are more than one who might fit in the "nameless" catagory. :roll:

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19730
Location: Chicago
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
I hope the he who shall not be named does not make an appearance


There are more than one who might fit in the "nameless" catagory. :roll:

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54


There's only one

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:03 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8294
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
All of us here who experienced that year realize '98 was a once in a lifetime experience. After all we are not the Alabama Crimson Tide. I will always treasure those memories as we all should. I still call it "the best fall of my life".

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:10 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20144
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Best Fall of my life too. While watching the Wave go undefeated, I also met my wife (first time I met her was when a friend brought her to a watching get-together at my apartment for one of our games). :mrgreen:

Per the announcement in the link (since most don't click), it says Bowden, assistants (presumably RR?), and players will be there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8294
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
One of my favorite memories of that year (other than the games themselves) is walking up to the Superdome late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and seeing the throngs of people in the ticket lines. Couldn't believe it. I'd never seen so many "walk ups" in line for a Tulane game in my life. And don't ever expect to see that many again...unfortunately.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 am
Posts: 173
Has it really been 20 years already? Time does fly by, doesn't it?


ROLL WAVE ! ! ! !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
Fan Since '54 wrote:
One of my favorite memories of that year (other than the games themselves) is walking up to the Superdome late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and seeing the throngs of people in the ticket lines. Couldn't believe it. I'd never seen so many "walk ups" in line for a Tulane game in my life. And don't ever expect to see that many again...unfortunately.

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54


Never say never. Never is a long time.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:21 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20032
Location: New Orleans
Tulane football 1998 reunion to include Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
GreenieBacker wrote:
Tulane football 1998 reunion to include Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index


Better warn the female cheerleaders.... 8)

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30455
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
I had quintuple bypass surgery in September '98, so I spent the majority of the season laid up. DCGreenie and BeatNavy got together at a DC bar for the Army game, but regrettably, I wasn't healed enough to join them; that's my biggest disappointment of that season.

Internet streaming of the broadcasts was in its infancy, but WRBH was an "early adopter" and had pretty good streaming, so I was able to follow Ken B.'s broadcasts of the games.

I did make it to Memphis for New Years, though. Highlight of the year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8294
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Went back into the Tulane archives and did some math. Tulane allowed 292 points that year. 4 times they allowed 30+ points, 7 times they allowed 20+ points, and once they allowed 7 points. There were no shutouts. They gave up 24.33 ppg. That is, at best, a mediocre defense. If you knew these stats beforehand, could you have predicted 12-0? But the "O" made up for that in every instance. Whoulda thunk it?

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 8294
Location: Back home again...Oak Park sub division
Rotorooter wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
One of my favorite memories of that year (other than the games themselves) is walking up to the Superdome late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and seeing the throngs of people in the ticket lines. Couldn't believe it. I'd never seen so many "walk ups" in line for a Tulane game in my life. And don't ever expect to see that many again...unfortunately.

Fan since '54

Never say never. Never is a long time.


Yes, I agree with the "never say never" thingy. However I do think it is applicable to me at least. For two reasons: 1) my age...I'm not a spring chicken anymore. And 2) there couldn't be that many "walk-ups" at Yulman Stadium. My guess is that there were probalby 20K or so walkups that day in a 80K plus stadium. There aren't gonna be 20K walkups in a 30K seat stadium. :roll:

Fan since '54

_________________
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3467
Location: Marietta, GA
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
One of my favorite memories of that year (other than the games themselves) is walking up to the Superdome late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and seeing the throngs of people in the ticket lines. Couldn't believe it. I'd never seen so many "walk ups" in line for a Tulane game in my life. And don't ever expect to see that many again...unfortunately.

Fan since '54

Never say never. Never is a long time.


Yes, I agree with the "never say never" thingy. However I do think it is applicable to me at least. For two reasons: 1) my age...I'm not a spring chicken anymore. And 2) there couldn't be that many "walk-ups" at Yulman Stadium. My guess is that there were probalby 20K or so walkups that day in a 80K plus stadium. There aren't gonna be 20K walkups in a 30K seat stadium. :roll:

Fan since '54

The point is not the numbers; the point is that it is not out of the realm of possibility of 30K green-clad fans in Yulman stadium watching a Tulane Green Wave football game. Or a SRO crowd standing in the open areas in addition to full seats. When that happens, you can bet that additional levels will be added to YS--neighborhood be damned.

As to the age issue, I agree with that. May all this happen sooner rather than later.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:46 pm
Posts: 1199
Fan Since '54 wrote:
Went back into the Tulane archives and did some math. Tulane allowed 292 points that year. 4 times they allowed 30+ points, 7 times they allowed 20+ points, and once they allowed 7 points. There were no shutouts. They gave up 24.33 ppg. That is, at best, a mediocre defense. If you knew these stats beforehand, could you have predicted 12-0? But the "O" made up for that in every instance. Whoulda thunk it?

Fan since '54


I remember doing this as I was arguing for a legit chance to play in the BCS game that year. I looked at scoring defense by quarter. The vast majority of the scoring was given up in the second half. Wish I could remember exactly, but it was near 70% of points were given up in second half after the games were decidedly out of reach... Wish I had box scores of games that year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 1892
Plus, you have to remember that we scored so much in so few plays that we continually gave to ball back to their offense. Bowden told me one time that he didn't care about the defense, he just wanted the ball ten times a game and he would win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:45 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Omnipresent
If anyone turns up any box scores and pbps from that season I’d love to see what our yards per play, points per trip inside 40, etc. was. While history was being made I, on account of being 5 years old, spent most of the time running up and down the superdome ramps. No idea this was going to be the peak of my waking Tulane fan life.

_________________
Banks was in.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:09 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 am
Posts: 605
Location: Bestbank
windywave wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:
windywave wrote:
I hope the he who shall not be named does not make an appearance


There are more than one who might fit in the "nameless" catagory. :roll:

Big Easy Pens Fan
aka
Fan since '54


There's only one


Maybe he'll send his white suit and green hair dye


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:12 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:56 am
Posts: 605
Location: Bestbank
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
Tulane football 1998 reunion to include Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index


Better warn the female cheerleaders.... 8)


So glad we are definitively the bigger people for his homecoming. RichRod swallowing a very big piece of humble pie.

I mean is WVU or Michigan or Arizona inviting him back to get honored?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 19730
Location: Chicago
DrHullabaloo wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:
Tulane football 1998 reunion to include Tommy Bowden, Rich Rodriguez

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... iver_index


Better warn the female cheerleaders.... 8)


So glad we are definitively the bigger people for his homecoming. RichRod swallowing a very big piece of humble pie.

I mean is WVU or Michigan or Arizona inviting him back to get honored?


What would they be honoring him for?

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: occasionally and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group