Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 am 
Navigator Level

WaveProf wrote:
Wake was easily a top 40 team by the second half of last year. They did lose their QB (who was their best player the two games I saw of them), but not a lot else. I'm not saying we can't beat them. But this isn't your grandfather's Wake team.

That said, we should have beaten them 2 years ago. And we have improved a lot since then too (not just them)

For lack of an experienced QB, we lost a close game. Given Banks at the time, I think we would have won.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 am 
President's Circle

StPeteWave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Wake was easily a top 40 team by the second half of last year. They did lose their QB (who was their best player the two games I saw of them), but not a lot else. I'm not saying we can't beat them. But this isn't your grandfather's Wake team.

That said, we should have beaten them 2 years ago. And we have improved a lot since then too (not just them)

For lack of an experienced QB, we lost a close game. Given Banks at the time, I think we would have won.

Their projected QB starter is the kid who scored the TD against us in 2016. He took a redshirt last year, I believe. As I said, in that game, he looked to be a running QB first, a passer second (and a mediocre one at that). He was an effective runner, I will say that.

I think we will be challenged defensively to match up with a really good passing team. There is too much youth and too many unknowns to believe otherwise. I do believe, if any of the DL develops so that we have an effective rotation, we will be able to stop a running game.

As I have said, I really like our chances against Wake at home. We matched up physically with Wake in 2016, especially on the LOS. An experienced Jonathon Banks would have won that game for us going away (no knock on Glen C., he was just too inexperienced for that game). I think the offense is going to have a breakout year, especially if we can get the Center position stabilized by the opener. Preseason rankings don't mean squat in the first two weeks of the season. I plan on being there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:45 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I think it's beneficial for us to be playing them first, they don't know what we have and our "unconventional" offense is tough to prepare for.

But they have all offseason to prepare for it?

What I mean is we were so inconsistent last year that there's really nothing to go on. We passed more late in the year, but does another year in the system for Banks and different backs mean we run more option now? They don't know. After even one game, they'd have an idea, so I like we play them first.

But I appreciate your continued efforts to question every single post I make without an original thought of your own.

If you have such a problem with polite disagreement, you should try either being more clear or making less dumb statements.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
I think it's beneficial for us to be playing them first, they don't know what we have and our "unconventional" offense is tough to prepare for.

What I mean is we were so inconsistent last year that there's really nothing to go on. We passed more late in the year, but does another year in the system for Banks and different backs mean we run more option now? They don't know. After even one game, they'd have an idea, so I like we play them first.

But I appreciate your continued efforts to question every single post I make without an original thought of your own.

If you have such a problem with polite disagreement, you should try either being more clear or making less dumb statements.

Stick to NBA analysis, seagull.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Stick to NBA analysis, seagull.

But it's a football thread!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I find this amusing. The foundation of your position is hilarious. Teams spend the off-season prepping themselves and then the week before the season starts they go into game week mode and specifically prep for an opponent. Basically your opening statement is "the dumbest" one in the convo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I find this amusing. The foundation of your position is hilarious. Teams spend the off-season prepping themselves and then the week before the season starts they go into game week mode and specifically prep for an opponent. Basically your opening statement is "the dumbest" one in the convo.

Lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Lol

Thanks for confirming it for us all

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Lol

Thanks for confirming it for us all

I just hope that 9 months worth of dust accumulation hasn't rendered our tape machine inoperable on August 27th (when our coaches realize we're about to play Wake Forest).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

If it takes until August 27th for Fritz and his staff to realize who they open the season with, fire the lot of them now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm 
President's Circle

Fall practices don't focus on WF until game week, or maybe a couple of days before. I have to believe that the 20+ days prior to game week is focusing on getting in football shape, execution of our offense, figuring who is #1, #2, #3, etc. on the depth chart, specialty formations, defensive coverages & schemes, DB coverage of WRs, teaching fundamentals the way TULANE coaches want it, position-specific coaching and Special Teams personnel selection.

There is no way Tulane, WF or anyone else warrants 30 days of game prep. If anything, the coaches may peak into film during the summer, but since their QB didn't play last season, even that is probably ineffective, at least for our defense. Maybe look at the 2016 game, where the QB DID play. That and tendencies of their Defense for 2017 and that QB's drives in 2016. But the staff will probably do that for all 2018 opponents during the off-season.

WF's offensive personality will be totally different than 2017. Their graduated starter was strictly a thrower, and threw it well. The projected starter is a runner/thrower and anyone other QB is an unknown. We'll be ready with the normal game week preparation, which I think is Windy's point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wolford was not strictly a thrower. He ran for 1200 yards & 16 td's (over 4.5 per try including yardage lost via sacks) his last 2 years at Wake.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:18 pm 
Regent's Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
There is no way Tulane, WF or anyone else warrants 30 days of game prep. If anything, the coaches may peak into film during the summer, but since their QB didn't play last season, even that is probably ineffective, at least for our defense. Maybe look at the 2016 game, where the QB DID play. That and tendencies of their Defense for 2017 and that QB's drives in 2016. But the staff will probably do that for all 2018 opponents during the off-season.

It's safe to take out that "probably"...and if you think coaches "may peak into film during the summer", I think you'd be surprised--what do you think graduate assistants and all those "quality control coaches" are for?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:59 pm 
Navigator Level

My biggest concern for the 2018 team is the "generation gap" on the defensive side of the ball. Because CJ's last recruiting class and Fritz's first class were not very good, those guys would be upperclassmen on this team, we will rely heavily on freshman and sophomores. On the offensive side, several transfers are filling in the "gaps" such as Banks Clewis, Dauphine, Knighton, and Briggs. As long as these guys stay healthy, the offense should do really well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:52 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wave Revival wrote:
My biggest concern for the 2018 team is the "generation gap" on the defensive side of the ball. Because CJ's last recruiting class and Fritz's first class were not very good, those guys would be upperclassmen on this team, we will rely heavily on freshman and sophomores. On the offensive side, several transfers are filling in the "gaps" such as Banks Clewis, Dauphine, Knighton, and Briggs. As long as these guys stay healthy, the offense should do really well.

I think the D line could be as good as any we've had in recent years*. My biggest concern remains as it has the past 10 years and that's the O line. Their success will translate into the offense's success. The thing we do have is depth on the line. We actually used a full 5 man rotation in the spring game in which the first five got to rest while 5 more went in. Having more than 7 O line available puts us ahead of the curve right there.

*I say this based on the guys that were lining up at 1 & 2 during the spring scrimmage, but recognize that the D looking really good could be inflated due to the concerns about O line.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
Wave Revival wrote:

I think the D line could be as good as any we've had in recent years*. My biggest concern remains as it has the past 10 years and that's the O line. Their success will translate into the offense's success. The thing we do have is depth on the line. We actually used a full 5 man rotation in the spring game in which the first five got to rest while 5 more went in. Having more than 7 O line available puts us ahead of the curve right there.

*I say this based on the guys that were lining up at 1 & 2 during the spring scrimmage, but recognize that the D looking really good could be inflated due to the concerns about O line.

They just need to fooking block, not hold, and not jump