Time of Wake game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wave-em in
President's Circle

Time of Wake game

Post by wave-em in »

Will they schedule this to go directly against the Saints/Rams game at 7pm?
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Time of Wake game

Post by waverider »

Even if it wasn't a preseason game, I don't think that would matter. It didn't change things in years past when we've played on opening Thursday and the Saints had a preseason game. Plus if TV is carrying the game they would most likely pick the time.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Why not? Our game counts, theirs doesn't. People avoid 4th preseason games like the plague these days.

The weather at that time of year mandates a night kickoff.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:Why not? Our game counts, theirs doesn't. People avoid 4th preseason games like the plague these days.

The weather at that time of year mandates a night kickoff.
This. All of it.

It might cost us some evening news coverage, but that would happen regardless of kickoff time. Otherwise it shouldn’t impact anything.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote:Even if it wasn't a preseason game, I don't think that would matter. It didn't change things in years past when we've played on opening Thursday and the Saints had a preseason game. Plus if TV is carrying the game they would most likely pick the time.

I thought the game was designated to be on ESPN3. Has that changed?
We deserve so much better
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Nothing announced yet, but think of the Duke game on the opening Thursday a couple of years ago - 8:30 kickoff on CBS Sports Network. American also has UCF-UConn that night. Could very well be a doubleheader on CBSSN again with an 8 or 8:30 kickoff.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

SO far that thursday for college football looks like this...

Northwestern State at Texas A&M 8:30pm SECN / Tickets
Central Connecticut at Ball State TBA TBA / Tickets
Kennesaw State at Georgia State TBA TBA / Tickets
New Mexico State at Minnesota TBA TBA / Tickets
Northwestern at Purdue TBA TBA / Tickets
Savannah State at UAB TBA TBA
UC Davis at San Jose State TBA TBA
UCF at UConn TBA TBA / Tickets
Wake Forest at Tulane TBA TBA
Weber State at Utah TBA TBA / Tickets

ESPN willlikely pcik up a game, as will ESPN 2, maybe news, and CBSSN, possibly FS1 or BTN

We should certainly be on TV. I predict...
NW-Purdue gets ESPN,
NMST-Minnesota to BTN,
Wake-Tulane ESPN2,
UCF UCONN CBSSN,
Weber ST-Utah FS1 or PAC12N
all others all-access or espn3
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

The TV game to "worry" about is the UAB game. Like FIU last year it is a C-USA team on the road. Might be all-access only.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

occasionally wrote:Nothing announced yet, but think of the Duke game on the opening Thursday a couple of years ago - 8:30 kickoff on CBS Sports Network. American also has UCF-UConn that night. Could very well be a doubleheader on CBSSN again with an 8 or 8:30 kickoff.
Ah yes, the good ole Civil ConFLiCT
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

gerryb323 wrote:
occasionally wrote:Nothing announced yet, but think of the Duke game on the opening Thursday a couple of years ago - 8:30 kickoff on CBS Sports Network. American also has UCF-UConn that night. Could very well be a doubleheader on CBSSN again with an 8 or 8:30 kickoff.
Has anyone informed UCF about the rivalry yet?
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Poseidon wrote:The TV game to "worry" about is the UAB game. Like FIU last year it is a C-USA team on the road. Might be all-access only.
If it goes down like FIU did that might be for the best
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Now that I don’t have cable I’m more ok with all access for away games :)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:SO far that thursday for college football looks like this...

Northwestern State at Texas A&M 8:30pm SECN / Tickets
Central Connecticut at Ball State TBA TBA / Tickets
Kennesaw State at Georgia State TBA TBA / Tickets
New Mexico State at Minnesota TBA TBA / Tickets
Northwestern at Purdue TBA TBA / Tickets
Savannah State at UAB TBA TBA
UC Davis at San Jose State TBA TBA
UCF at UConn TBA TBA / Tickets
Wake Forest at Tulane TBA TBA
Weber State at Utah TBA TBA / Tickets

ESPN willlikely pcik up a game, as will ESPN 2, maybe news, and CBSSN, possibly FS1 or BTN

We should certainly be on TV. I predict...
NW-Purdue gets ESPN,
NMST-Minnesota to BTN,
Wake-Tulane ESPN2,
UCF UCONN CBSSN,
Weber ST-Utah FS1 or PAC12N
all others all-access or espn3
Last years National Champs get CBSSN while we get ESPN2. We are moving up in the world. :-D
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

gerryb323 wrote:
Forget CBSSN, I smell CBS!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

wave-em in wrote:Will they schedule this to go directly against the Saints/Rams game at 7pm?
Interesting that LSU just announced this morning that it is moving the start of its spring game from 5pm to 8pm so that it won't conflict with the Pel's potential sweep of Portland and Scott Rabalais's work schedule.

Wow! Scott sure is influential. That's why I dropped my TP subscription for The Advocate.

No word yet on what SEC network will show in meantime. Perhaps LSU gymnastics reruns.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote:Wake loses a WR to Oregon

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... bari-hines
The Grad transfer rule is such joke IMO. It is a team game. I think they should make them sit out and then play another have however many years of eligibility even if it means they are given a second red-shirt year. How many of these kids finish the grad program? The 8 semesters of eligibility rule was directly attached to the 8 semester for a degree plan. Now all athletes are usually doing summer classes and some come in with credit hours earned in high school. Again I submit the solution should sitting out a year for transferring at any point and if needed be given a "grad shirt" year as a reward for getting into grad school. This would stop the free agency like transferring and total abuse of the system they allows a player to switch schools only to be a grad student for a single fall semester.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

While its fair to question how many finish their grad program, I think it is still one of the best NCAA rules there is. If you graduate, you should be free to go wherever you want. This incentivizes graduation, and gives some sense of freedom/agency to the players without creating the free-for-all that would happen if every player were a free agent every year.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:While its fair to question how many finish their grad program, I think it is still one of the best NCAA rules there is. If you graduate, you should be free to go wherever you want. This incentivizes graduation, and gives some sense of freedom/agency to the players without creating the free-for-all that would happen if every player were a free agent every year.
Agree with this. I'd be in support of allowing transfers without penalty after coaching changes as well. If the coaches can leave whenever, then why not the players?
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

gerryb323 wrote:
WaveProf wrote:While its fair to question how many finish their grad program, I think it is still one of the best NCAA rules there is. If you graduate, you should be free to go wherever you want. This incentivizes graduation, and gives some sense of freedom/agency to the players without creating the free-for-all that would happen if every player were a free agent every year.
Agree with this. I'd be in support of allowing transfers without penalty after coaching changes as well. If the coaches can leave whenever, then why not the players?
The points that are good ones men. However I submit the negatives outweigh the positives as this works like a feedback loop to more and more transfers. These transfers don't happen in a vacuum. More outbound transfers open spots for inbound transfers and then bam, a transfers cycle/carousel like the coaching cycle/carousel is now present. This in turn makes programs less stable and feeds back into more coaching changes. Feeding back into more transfers. Football is a team game and the loyal players get the shaft because they stick around only because they have their priorities right, fidelity to the university programs giving them the scholarship and the academic programs educating them.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'll jump on this thread jack train: this is a free country. Students should be allowed choice of school to the maximum extent possible.

I'm not throwing a grenade in here and I know the current rules won't change much but at least the existing grad transfer rule gives a few students who qualify the chance for one year to choose their team. Let's not restrict that further.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:
wave-em in wrote:Will they schedule this to go directly against the Saints/Rams game at 7pm?
Interesting that LSU just announced this morning that it is moving the start of its spring game from 5pm to 8pm so that it won't conflict with the Pel's potential sweep of Portland and Scott Rabalais's work schedule.

Wow! Scott sure is influential. That's why I dropped my TP subscription for The Advocate.

No word yet on what SEC network will show in meantime. Perhaps LSU gymnastics reruns.
Is this sarcasm because you didn’t really drop your TP subscription and you really do have a crush on Scott Rabalais? 8)
Tulane Greenbackers

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote:I'll jump on this thread jack train: this is a free country. Students should be allowed choice of school to the maximum extent possible.

I'm not throwing a grenade in here and I know the current rules won't change much but at least the existing grad transfer rule gives a few students who qualify the chance for one year to choose their team. Let's not restrict that further.
As you said at the end, this isnt about choosing schools. It is about choosing football teams. If they have to sit out a year, but are still able play the next, that doesnt stop the qualifying students from a "chance for one year to choose their team."
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Poseidon wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:I'll jump on this thread jack train: this is a free country. Students should be allowed choice of school to the maximum extent possible.

As you said at the end, this isnt about choosing schools. It is about choosing football teams. If they have to sit out a year, but are still able play the next, that doesnt stop the qualifying students from a "chance for one year to choose their team."
Then it shouldn't stop your feedback loop either. Could having immediately eligible transfers also help coaches keep their jobs? I'm going with the free country reason also. Why you gotta cramp their style man?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Is this sarcasm because you didn’t really drop your TP subscription and you really do have a crush on Scott Rabalais? 8)
Well I did drop my TP subscription but mainly because there is no there there. At least the Advocate tries to be a real newspaper. Rabalais sorta lost me when he ran Miles out of a job and then became a fan boy of gymnastics. Nevertheless he is a real reporter given meaningful assets and latitude to do his job. It would be great for Tulane fans wanting sports news if Smith had half his budget. Just my taste I guess.

Meanwhile obviously Tulane should always do strategic scheduling like not having a home game during Bacchus. However I've never understood the twitch that develops among some that seems like Tulane should always change its game times and dates because of inevitable conflicts with Saints, school holidays, solar phenomena, flag football championships at Bunny Friend playground or whatever. So returning this thread to topic. I look forward to Wake game as scheduled and Tulane beginning a successful 2018 season.