Time of Wake game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: Time of Wake game

Post by TUPF »

RI Wave, you are showing not your age...but your youth! When I lived on Aquidneck Island in the late 60s (dad was stationed there in the Navy), Newport was the center of the sailing universe. The America’s Cup was bolted in place—undefeated since forever. Newport was somewhat isolated then—my family arrived on a ferry because the Newport Bridge was not finished yet. All of us grade schoolers knew everything about the Cup and the run up was bigger than the Red Sox in the 67 World Series and the Bruins playing for the Stanley Cup. The America’s Cup, the Tennis Hall of Fame, and the Newport Jazz Festival were everything.

What you see now is 1/10 of what it once was.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

TUPF, yup, I certainly can agree. Assume you visited Rocky Point a few times. On rare occasions, we would travel from NO to Worcester when I was a kid. Loved the grand patent’s annual ROcky Point trip and the visit to the shore dinner hall. Newport is striving to reclaim the granduer of old and sailing is still a primary focus!
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Tulane - UAB to be broadcast on Facebook, according to a FTW post.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Tulane - UAB to be broadcast on Facebook, according to a FTW post.
In Russian?

sorry
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

FW wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:Tulane - UAB to be broadcast on Facebook, according to a FTW post.
In Russian?

More likely Chinese
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I posted this in the countdown thread, but I’ll stick it here too. Kendall Hinton, Wake’s projected starting QB is suspended for the first 3 games of the season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote:I posted this in the countdown thread, but I’ll stick it here too. Kendall Hinton, Wake’s projected starting QB is suspended for the first 3 games of the season.
For...
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

windywave wrote:
waverider wrote:I posted this in the countdown thread, but I’ll stick it here too. Kendall Hinton, Wake’s projected starting QB is suspended for the first 3 games of the season.
For...
The good ole “Violation of team rules”. So, take your pick as it could be a number of things.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

waverider wrote:
windywave wrote:
For...
The good ole “Violation of team rules”. So, take your pick as it could be a number of things.
3 games implies something more than sleeping in class....

(FWIW, those games are us, Towson and Boston College)
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Noon kick-off for UAB at Legion Field on 9/15.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TU77CAL82 wrote:Noon kick-off for UAB at Legion Field on 9/15.
Considered spending my birthday in Birmingham but a noon kickoff in September tells me to go with a more air conditioned celebration.
Tulane Greenbackers

Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

September in the deep south, Noon?
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Poseidon wrote:

September in the deep south, Noon?
I’m sure it was TV, I mean, Facebook that determined the time.
Turn down Zuckerberg once and they are playing at noon forever :evil2:
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

That stinks, but I think our fan base makes a bigger deal about it than others (maybe we're older on average than most?). Every week there's an SEC game on at Noon. Every one of those games is hot and humid. When I lived in Birmingham, I went to the occasional Bama or Auburn game at Noon or 2 pm. You put on sunscreen, drink extra water, and deal with it.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:That stinks, but I think our fan base makes a bigger deal about it than others (maybe we're older on average than most?). Every week there's an SEC game on at Noon. Every one of those games is hot and humid. When I lived in Birmingham, I went to the occasional Bama or Auburn game at Noon or 2 pm. You put on sunscreen, drink extra water, and deal with it.
SEC schools each have hundreds of thousands of fans (if not more), so if some don't want to sit out and broil in the sun then there's plenty more to take their place.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:That stinks, but I think our fan base makes a bigger deal about it than others (maybe we're older on average than most?). Every week there's an SEC game on at Noon. Every one of those games is hot and humid. When I lived in Birmingham, I went to the occasional Bama or Auburn game at Noon or 2 pm. You put on sunscreen, drink extra water, and deal with it.
SEC schools each have hundreds of thousands of fans (if not more), so if some don't want to sit out and broil in the sun then there's plenty more to take their place.
Seriously how many Tulane fans won't travel because of the time? If you consider going you're a die hard and not going to let a little heat and humidity deter you.
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Seriously how many Tulane fans won't travel because of the time? If you consider going you're a die hard and not going to let a little heat and humidity deter you.
It actually makes traveling easier, its about 5 hours from nola +/- traffic. My guess is they don't want to go up against Bama that night or Auburn that afternoon.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Speaking about game times in general more so than just this game in particular.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Either way our fan base is so small that no one is not going because of the weather. The people who go will go no matter what time it is
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Should I be concerned the game is being streamed on Facebook and not "televised?" I don't have a Facebook account so I guess I'll just drive to Birmingham??!! :green wink:

Folks, just trying to bring a little levity around here. I'm not nuts about the early afternoon start in September. I haven't been to Legion Field since they removed the upper deck but I assume we can find shade beneath press box as needed. Easy road trip from campus. Wave needs this win to have a good season.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Either way our fan base is so small that no one is not going because of the weather. The people who go will go no matter what time it is
We definitely have people stay home from home games in the heat so I don't see any reason to think the same wouldn't apply to road games.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

ml wave wrote:We definitely have people stay home from home games in the heat so I don't see any reason to think the same wouldn't apply to road games.
Road games are a bit different. Some of us only have road games. When out-of-towners make the decision to go to any game - we're going regardless. One is not going to go through the trouble to make reservations, fly in some cases and then sit in the bar because it's raining or too cold/hot.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

sr wrote:
ml wave wrote:We definitely have people stay home from home games in the heat so I don't see any reason to think the same wouldn't apply to road games.
Road games are a bit different. Some of us only have road games. When out-of-towners make the decision to go to any game - we're going regardless. One is not going to go through the trouble to make reservations, fly in some cases and then sit in the bar because it's raining or too cold/hot.
Of course you're not, once you're there you're there and you'll go to the game...but when deciding ahead of time which road game or games you'll attend, it's something to consider.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

sr wrote:
True dat
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
ml wave wrote:
We definitely have people stay home from home games in the heat so I don't see any reason to think the same wouldn't apply to road games.
Fundamentally different
#cousins don't count