Wave takes the nightcap

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Roller
Cornerstone

Wave takes the nightcap

Unread post by Roller »

and the series. 9-4
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: Wave takes the nightcap

Unread post by windywave »

Beetlejuice
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Combo breaker!
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

visualmagic is in a deep funk :lol:

I guess we won't see him/her/it for awhile
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

GreenieBacker wrote:visualmagic is in a deep funk :lol:

I guess we won't see him/her/it for awhile
In a funk? Why would I be in a funk? We did what we're supposed to do. You don't get credit for doing something you're supposed to do.

Our RPI is 99 and you guys are gloating like we're doing great. Pretty sad state of affairs.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Unread post by 1309th WAVE »

Jonathon Artigues, since getting middle order looks, is 14/32 for 13 RBIs. .437/.538/.875. Can I get a volunteer to tell me if this is good.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Remember when our down years left us sweating over whether or not we'd host a regional?

Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

1309th WAVE wrote:Jonathon Artigues, since getting middle order looks, is 14/32 for 13 RBIs. .437/.538/.875. Can I get a volunteer to tell me if this is good.
We’ve hit enough to be pretty good. I think it is what has frustrated me all year. Average bullpen pitching and we would be talking possible regional. Turn 4 awful meltdowns the other way and we are 23-18 with RPI opportunities at UCONN and ECU.

It’s cliche but I guess you are what your record says you are.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Tulane's hitting and defense are ok and team appears below average speed wise. All these are manageable inputs for success. It is the lack of consistent pitching control that is way below average. "Fix" that (and no I don't have any magic formula for doing that mid-season) and Tulane can still do damage this season including AAC tourney and with more than a little luck beyond that. All tbd.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote:Tulane's hitting and defense are ok and team appears below average speed wise. All these are manageable inputs for success. It is the lack of consistent pitching control that is way below average. "Fix" that (and no I don't have any magic formula for doing that mid-season) and Tulane can still do damage this season including AAC tourney and with more than a little luck beyond that. All tbd.
I agree. I think hitting is one area we have improved under Jewett (which was to be expected as a former hitting coach).

Pitching is a mess aside from a couple guys, but there are many freshmen being relied on, a couple of which look to have big upside. Before the season Jewett said that we would be “pitching for contact” and throwing more strikes. Instead we lead the world in free passes by way of walks, wild pitches and hit batters.
The bigger surprise is that our defense is average at best and I think our fielding percentage is over stated. We miss A LOT of routine plays in the field, many aren’t considered to be official errors in the stat sheet but are plays that should be made and often lead to big innings for the opponent.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

I agree that Tulane's defense is not winning it games. Just have to make sure it doesn't lose them.

Separate issue is the bizarre official scoring at home. Pitching stats are bad enough without further burdening them by disguising fielding errors as undeserved hits. It's like grade inflation in the classroom. Doesn't help anyone by giving unmerited "Gentlemen C's."
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Bay- the defense is not good to put it kindly and it has cost us games. We have hitting and we have good weekend starters. All the other areas need to make dramatic improvements for us to make a surprising run.
We deserve so much better
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

Sorry it took so long to comment on the local team. ETSU has taken their series with U. of Tennessee this year; their baseball team is usually respectable.

I am disappointed in the performance of Tulane so far this year; however, it is nice to see them take a series.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:Bay- the defense is not good to put it kindly and it has cost us games. We have hitting and we have good weekend starters. All the other areas need to make dramatic improvements for us to make a surprising run.
Wavedom, You are of course correct. My comment was in the sense of second marriages as "the triumph of hope over experience." Tulane can still have a decent baseball season but it's a very narrow path to success. One of the requirements is to improve defense however defined. Let's just say I'm hoping as a fan mainly based on team still has very positive attitude and will figure it out. All tbd.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Please don't take my post as saying there's no reason for hope for the rest of this season. I was just clarifying the issue as regards our defensive play. There's still time to do something. Here's to hoping the team makes the most of that time.
We deserve so much better
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote:Separate issue is the bizarre official scoring at home. Pitching stats are bad enough without further burdening them by disguising fielding errors as undeserved hits. It's like grade inflation in the classroom. Doesn't help anyone by giving unmerited "Gentlemen C's."
This is an epidemic across baseball. It's almost impossible to make an error in MLB.