Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Win of the Year
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:08 pm 
President's Circle

Very nice. Beat Top 15 team at their place. Jensen on fire. Matthews 3-5, and Hoese with 2 dingers. Great job by Trent Johnson. Way to go guys!!!

Post subject: Re: Best Win of the Year
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:16 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Very nice. Beat Top 15 team at their place. Jensen on fire. Matthews 3-5, and Hoese with 2 dingers. Great job by Trent Johnson. Way to go guys!!!

Yes. Wish we could have some of those midweek meltdowns back.

We have improved and there are guys that look like they will have real bright futures. Pellerin is the one that looks to be a future ace or closer.

Any chance ‘Spoon comes back?

RPI at 70.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:24 pm 
President's Circle

Just depends where Spoon is drafted. No leverage if he stays.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:25 pm 
Coach Level

NJwave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Yes. Wish we could have some of those midweek meltdowns back.

We have improved and there are guys that look like they will have real bright futures. Pellerin is the one that looks to be a future ace or closer.

Any chance ‘Spoon comes back?

Yep, if we start 16-17 instead of 13-20 we’d be in decent position but it’s likely going to be too tough to win enough to get into the postseason.

I’d bet Spoon is gone.

Pellerin is our only pitcher with more K’s than innings pitched. He’s still got to get the BB’s under control, he had 29 in 31 innings coming into tonight along with 28 hits allowed.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:52 pm 
President's Circle

The lack of interest in the baseball program is surprising. Just like basketball pre-MD. We just beat the #11 team in the country on the road and the lack of positive conversation is a bummer. This team is improving and we have a chance to make a run if we continue to play like we did tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:55 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
The lack of interest in the baseball program is surprising. Just like basketball pre-MD. We just beat the #11 team in the country on the road and the lack of positive conversation is a bummer. This team is improving and we have a chance to make a run if we continue to play like we did tonight.

We have to win almost every game the rest of the way. So while a run is possible, it’s pretty far fetched

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm 
Regent's Circle

Up to #70

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:07 pm 
Coach Level

Pellerin has a really good breaking ball.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 pm 
Navigator Level

It's always good to beat the #11 team in the country and to beat a rival like USM. However it wasn't a well played game. Many of the same mistakes we've been making that often come back to haunt us. Fortunately they didn't tonight. So no surprise at all that there's not much chatter.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 pm 
Crest Level

Boyd’s world says we need to win every game from here on out to be top 45 rpi which is roughly what is needed to have shot at an at large bid. Calculations do not account for the conf tourney games.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:04 pm 
Riptide Level

Nobody said the process will be easy. The team is getting experience & playing better overall baseball as season has progressed. I can't wait till our pitching staff has a year under their belt & the newbies come in next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:46 pm 
Regent's Circle

doc wrote:
Pellerin has a really good breaking ball.

+1,000,000

It won us the game tonight. Full stop.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:21 am 
Coach Level

Once again a slow start killed us. The whole season matters whether it's game one or fifty one. Playing poorly early is hard for MLB teams to overcome and they have 3x as many games. I wish we could scramble and snag an at large but winning out is too much to ask. The best hope this year is to continue to improve and win the tourney. Maybe we can channel those men's tennis vibes.

Nice win tonight though. Always good to knock off a ranked, tourney caliber team.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 am 
President's Circle

Team is improved over last year; pitching is slowly getting better. Witherspoon one of the best ever in a Tulane uniform. Trent Johnson walked just one batter in his stint last night. Pellerin with two big K's in the 9th. Four homers. finally baseball is fun to watch. we've won 9 of last 13. Looks like we will bring in another 12-15 players next year including this jr. college pitcher with 78 K's in 47 innings pitched and an 8-0 record so far from Iowa Western.

http://www.goreivers.com/sports/bsb/201 ... _sean_8okz

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:07 am 
President's Circle

The off season is going to be very interesting to watch. Currently, we have the following kids coming back -

3 Catchers - A. Owen, Niemann, Revere
2 1B - Jensen, Matthews, Mangurian, Slatten
3 2B - Artigues, Galy, Theberge
1 SS - Gozzo
1 3B - Hoese
6 OF - Ty Johnson, Bedgood, K. Owen, Heinrichs, Glancy, Sepcich
15 P - Roper, Gillies, Bates, Massey, Tr. Johnson, Pellerin, McAffer, Green, Abdalla, Campbell, Cellucci, Koppenhaver, Price, Pough, Solesky

Recruits (please list any I may miss) -
2 C - Blake Johnson, Aaron McKeithan
3 SS - Colin Burns, Ethan Groff, Brendan Power
1 3B - Zach Gobberville
2 OF - Hudson Haskin, Logan Stevens
6 P - Destin Dotson, John Carlos Ariza, Spencer Oliver, Krishna Raj, Ryan Wallace, Sean Chandler, Forrest Weber

Last edited by tjtlja on Fri May 04, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am 
President's Circle

the only guy I don't see on your list is the JC pitcher from Iowa Western who plays on a stud team likely headed to the JC world series. Next year, we may have some depth. This year Tulane has zero depth. By the way, do any of our fans out there who have seen Logan Stevens play in high school this season think we can pencil him into a starting OF position in 2019?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 am 
Coach Level

Interesting to see the players developing. A few weeks ago many said we have no talent. I am seeing a lot of talent right now, especially at the plate. Let's win out and see what happens! Roll Wave!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm 
Cornerstone

We're not getting an at-large bid. We need to win the tourney. Come on, people.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:34 pm 
Emerald Circle

Hope springs eternal but you're probably right FW. That bad start dug us a hole that we're finding pretty hard to dig out of. Still, wins like this give me hope for the future.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:53 pm 
President's Circle

I don’t think anyone doesn’t think it is long shot to get an at-large, but hear me out. We currently are 22-24, 73 RPI, and have 10 games left. Three of those games are against #17 ECU, three against #35 UCF, and one game against #61 ULL (I won’t mention the three against the worst team in the league). If we can win 8 of 10 and 5 out of 6 against ECU and UCF, we finish the season 30-26. We finish conference at 14-10 and probably finish third in the AAC. The conference is currently ranked third in the country with the following RPI’s -

Tulane 73
Houston 55
USF 25
UConn 12
ECU 17
Cinncy 133
UCF 35
WSU 18
Memphis 191

Currently we have four teams in the Top 25 and five in the Top 35. If we finish the season winning 8 out of 10, we finish the year 18-8 in our final 26 games. Two other factors to consider is how much parity there is around the country and can we win three games in the conference tournament.

Again, I know it is a long shot, but if we can get to 32/33 wins in this conference, we are squarely in the discussion.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 pm 
Coach Level

Displaying my college baseball ignorance...does the Conference tourney winner get an automatic birth?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:35 pm 
Coach Level

Poseidon wrote:
Displaying my college baseball ignorance...does the Conference tourney winner get an automatic birth?

Yes

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:15 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
I don’t think anyone doesn’t think it is long shot to get an at-large, but hear me out. We currently are 22-24, 73 RPI, and have 10 games left. Three of those games are against #17 ECU, three against #35 UCF, and one game against #61 ULL (I won’t mention the three against the worst team in the league). If we can win 8 of 10 and 5 out of 6 against ECU and UCF, we finish the season 30-26. We finish conference at 14-10 and probably finish third in the AAC. The conference is currently ranked third in the country with the following RPI’s -

Tulane 73
Houston 55
USF 25
UConn 12
ECU 17
Cinncy 133
UCF 35
WSU 18
Memphis 191

Currently we have four teams in the Top 25 and five in the Top 35. If we finish the season winning 8 out of 10, we finish the year 18-8 in our final 26 games. Two other factors to consider is how much parity there is around the country and can we win three games in the conference tournament.

Again, I know it is a long shot, but if we can get to 32/33 wins in this conference, we are squarely in the discussion.

I've had similar thoughts but I think it would still be very difficult to get a bid. Here is why.

We would have series wins over Houston, ECU and UCF and a split with LSU and USM. The best non-conference series wins are Purdue and Wright State both at home. The road record would still be awful and we have not won a road series all year.

USF, ECU, and UCONN are locks. It would leave us, UCF, Houston and Wichita State fighting for 1 or 2 bids. They all would all likely have higher RPI's than we would. Wichita State has a terrible league record and would probably be out. Houston is likely to win the league and would be ahead of us in the pecking order. Sweep UCF and we would have an argument that we deserve to be in over them. However, now we are looking for a 5th league bid. Would the committee take a 5th AAC team or another SEC team with an RPI in the 50s with an awful road record but a marquee name (guess who).

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
President's Circle

I expect AAC to be a 5-bid league; it's the third-best RPI league in the nation. Whether Tulane is one of the five remains a longshot.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm 
Navigator Level

PG Baseball has the AAC with 5 teams in the NCAA. Houston as winner of the tournament, UCF, USF, UConn and ECU.

ECU and UConn are teams 15 and 16 which means they could host. (I would imagine UConn would have to host at the AA Field.)