CLEARWATER CLINCHED.

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

CLEARWATER CLINCHED.

Post by 1309th WAVE »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tulane will play on, at least 2 more times.
Roller
Cornerstone

Re: CLEARWATER CLINCHED.

Post by Roller »

1309th WAVE wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Tulane will play on, at least 2 more times.
PLus 3 times in Orlando, next weekend.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Being in the top 8 of a 9 team conference is nothing to celebrate
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Mathews in some pretty good company with three HRs today -

https://twitter.com/TUGreenbackers/stat ... 12096?s=20
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:Being in the top 8 of a 9 team conference is nothing to celebrate
Which is why we need to win the tournament, then on to the National Championship. We need to make believers of those who are not impressed by our less-than-stellar record so far.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

windywave wrote:Being in the top 8 of a 9 team conference is nothing to celebrate
Ok, so the goalposts have been moved *just a bit* this year. Nothing to hang your hat on UNTIL we win the tourney, but at least we'll be there!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

weren't we picked to not make it to Clearwater by the coaches before the season started? If so, then making it WAS somewhat of an accomplishment.. yes, nothing to crow about... but one team is finished for the season after next Saturday and it's not us
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Johnny Mac wrote:weren't we picked to not make it to Clearwater by the coaches before the season started? If so, then making it WAS somewhat of an accomplishment.. yes, nothing to crow about... but one team is finished for the season after next Saturday and it's not us
Not quite, but I do remember being steamed over Memphis being above us. That is now impossible.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Roller wrote:
Which is why we need to win the tournament, then on to the National Championship. We need to make believers of those who are not impressed by our less-than-stellar record so far.
I would celebrate that.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Johnny Mac wrote:weren't we picked to not make it to Clearwater by the coaches before the season started? If so, then making it WAS somewhat of an accomplishment.. yes, nothing to crow about... but one team is finished for the season after next Saturday and it's not us
No. We weren't picked to finish last and even if we were that doesn't make finishing 7th or 8th an accomplishment.
Ray
Regent's Circle

Post by Ray »

sr wrote:Mathews in some pretty good company with three HRs today -

https://twitter.com/TUGreenbackers/stat ... 12096?s=20
:!: :!: :!:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Just have to get our Moms to wear sweep shirts today!
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I am so glad for Matthews. Lets hope he does it again today. (at least 1 HR)

I am upset though to see that Matthews was sparingly used this year. Who knows what could have happened if he would have been used as an every day player. :(
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

CletusRelm wrote:I am so glad for Matthews. Lets hope he does it again today. (at least 1 HR)

I am upset though to see that Matthews was sparingly used this year. Who knows what could have happened if he would have been used as an every day player. :(
We all know this has been a disappointing season. Lots to say about that later and those responsible for it if it plays out as started. However can't we have a 24 hour rule around here too like many teams have and just enjoy success when it occurs until it's time to move on?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:
CletusRelm wrote:I am so glad for Matthews. Lets hope he does it again today. (at least 1 HR)

We all know this has been a disappointing season. Lots to say about that later and those responsible for it if it plays out as started. However can't we have a 24 hour rule around here too like many teams have and just enjoy success when it occurs until it's time to move on?
I don’t think the 24 Hour rule applies in baseball when you have another game in about 20 hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

I don’t think the 24 Hour rule applies in baseball when you have another game in about 20 hours.
Yeah. Tough to apply a 24 hour rule when you play 3 games in 48 hours most weekends.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

OK for those who don't want any small success to get in the way of the agenda message, it's good to know you have a 24 minute rule. FWIW my hunting club keeps our powder dry longer. So be it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I am very happy for him and his family. If he gets another homer in his first at bat today he'll have matched his father's feat of hitting homers in 4 straight at bats. There's nothing to get upset about. He was given some chances at various points in the season but didn't cash them in. He's now found his groove and is hot at the plate. I know most focus on TJ's background as a recruiter but he was the hitting coach too. It just took a while for it to come together for Grant.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Baywave1 wrote:OK for those who don't want any small success to get in the way of the agenda message, it's good to know you have a 24 minute rule. FWIW my hunting club keeps our powder dry longer. So be it.
I don’t see anyone pushing an agenda in this thread. One guy thinks Mathews should have gotten more at-bats. Does he really have to hold off on posting that opinion because we won?

I see it the same way that wavedom sees it, Mathews was given opportunities here and there throughout the season. He may have deserved some more at-bats instead of Heinrichs or some other guys but prior to this weekend he didn’t do enough to separate himself from the other guys that were vying for at-bats.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I did not post my comments as a negative. I was just disappointed personally that we did not see that earlier in the season. This weekend has been a real pleasure watching TU do what they are supposed to do against a team like Memphis.

I realize he had a number of opportunities and it just didn't happen. I also believe he will have the rest of the season and the next 2 years to show us that kind of talent again.

Roll Wave.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Watching some of these guys come around is exciting and bodes well for the future. Besides the bats getting hot, Johnson has pitched pretty well the last few weeks and Pellerin is going to be great. Along with Roper and Gillies that is 4 guys I think we can count on next year. There are some positives to take from this year.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

NJwave wrote:Watching some of these guys come around is exciting and bodes well for the future. Besides the bats getting hot, Johnson has pitched pretty well the last few weeks and Pellerin is going to be great. Along with Roper and Gillies that is 4 guys I think we can count on next year. There are some positives to take from this year.
And then we lose a home game to the worst team in the conference
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Well, that happened. Tough loss to take, leaving the bases loaded THREE times. Memphis was eliminated from Clearwater midway through the game and they knew it, but played for themselves and gutted it out.

So on to the next one. It would be fun to end ULL's late charge for at-large RPI with a spoiler loss, but I don't want us to spend too many resources doing it. If Keegan's feeling better it would be a good spot start to get him in a rhythm for Clearwater.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Keegan definitely needs to sit it out. He has thrown a lot of innings and our only chance is the conference tourney. The plan before he got ill was to start Johnson Tuesday if we won the first two this weekend and that way Johnson would have started our first game in the AAC tourney. Remember too that this is a short week with the series starting Thursday. Just save him till Friday.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:Keegan definitely needs to sit it out. He has thrown a lot of innings and our only chance is the conference tourney. The plan before he got ill was to start Johnson Tuesday if we won the first two this weekend and that way Johnson would have started our first game in the AAC tourney. Remember too that this is a short week with the series starting Thursday. Just save him till Friday.
Whichever day he starts I’d consider making it a short start. Get him out of there without throwing too many pitches. I like the idea of throwing him against ULL. That would put him in line to start game 1 of the conference tournament. Aside from it being important to avoid the losers bracket, if he starts game 1 he could come back on 3-4 days rest and pitch in the championship game if we make it there.