TU 6 ULL 7 / Baseball outlook

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: TU 6 ULL 7

Post by wavedom »

Wavefam985 wrote:This is Spoon's leverage year - I've heard that his projection is between rounds 4-8. We will see in a few weeks.
I hope so for his sake but I'd be surprised at that.
We deserve so much better
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I’d be shocked if Spoon is back.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:I agree that Spoon is likely gone but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back. He's hit well this year but he is average at best in the outfield. I don't see him as a high pick. He may just be ready to move on and will leave no matter the round but it probably won't be for a lot of money.
I totally agree with this. I have not been impressed with his fielding out in center? Didn't he play a lot of 1st base his Freshman year. Wonder if he'd play there at the next level.
Some really nice conversation.

Spoon did play some 1B, but to play that at the next level you must have power to play a corner position. I think he is slotted as an OF. His defensive skills will be his area of concentration. From what I know, he is definitely not coming back unless he is drafted very late.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Wavefam985 wrote:We need pitching, pitching, pitching. It has been the issue since this staff took over - if its not addressed, the overall record will not get any better. We have a team ERA over 5! Offensively, we are averaging nearly 6 runs a game and 9 hits - plenty good enough in the bbcor bat era.

Matthews has gotten hot, which bods well for next year. Hitting is timing and rhythm (Jew says it all of the time), so its hard to judge some of these guys, especially Matthews when prior to our game at USM he was getting nothing more than a pinch hit here and there. The summer will be big for some of these freshman position players (Bedgood, Sepcich, Niemann, Revere) who will get a chance to play everyday. Even Dansby Swanson hit .188 as a freshman in limited time (20-25 AB's) with 30% being k's - big jumps can be made between year 1 and 2 (Hoese certainly has made great strides).

Its unfortunate about the McKeithen kid because we need to find a more consistent defensive catcher (at the very least). I don't know what the percentage of throwing kids out stealing is this year but my eyes tell me it isn't good enough. The same goes for our inability to block balls in the dirt - needs to improve drastically.

The Stevens kid is a good player, but by no means college ready. He will need some time to develop - he hit .275 this year with 2 HR's playing on a HS field that is no bigger than a softball field (305 down lines and 330 in gaps). Stevens will be a nice player for us in time but no way he walks on campus as a starter.

The wildcard is the draft - Spoon is gone. I would not be surprised if Roper and Jensen get picked up either. This roster will turnover again - 13 HS commits and a couple of JUCO kids. Sam, Issa, Rowland, White, Spoon and Mangurian are all definitely gone. Given how the season has shaken out, I suspect Koppenhaver, Pough and Solesky won't be back either.
Wavefam985, very nice analysis.

Pitching is always the key. I think we have something to build on with Roper, Gillies, Johnson, Bates, and Pellerin. Each of these should be better next year. We need to find five more in the next group who can throw strikes. If we do, we can be successful. I wonder if there will be a new pitching coach next year and what ramifications that could have.

Regarding the hitting, Matthews crushed the ball at Ole Miss and didn’t have a lot to show for it. I loved his approach against a great staff. This, plus the way he hit the ball in the fall, should have resulted in more than just a look early on. I had two boys play this game and sitting good hitters can be disastrous. Nevertheless, you are right. Most kids struggle early. Jeremy, Country, Rogers, Hoese, Artigues, Matthews, Jensen for half a year, all struggled early in their careers, but all could hit. Summer ball is so pivotal in a players development. You learn timing, plate dicspline, hitting opposite field, and mechanics. This is a tough game and hitting is so hard to do. Look how Jake is struggling right now with the Tigers. The good ones figure it out.

From a catching standpoint, Jeremy made it back in 8 months after TJ. I think the McKeithan kid should be ready to go. We need better production from that position in all areas. I look for one of the current freshman catchers to move on.

With the outfield, Johnson and Kobi will be back. We are bringing in a lot of SS’s. Typically these guys are athletic and can play multiple positions. Also, if Glancy can get back his speed pre-injury, he has a shot.

I think we are closer than most. We shall see.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

You can repeat it all you want but he didn't have quality at bats early and showed nothing to move him into the line-up. Plus you didn't watch fall ball you're going by what someone told you. Those type of reports have never proven to be accurate.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

According to the official site, Mathews hit .368 with 2 doubles and a triple in the 7 game Fall World Series.

As for Grant Witherspoon, maybe I'm looking into this too much but I did see a picture on Dave's twitter with Witherspoon after the game on Sunday and like the seniors, he was given a frame with his jersey in it. https://twitter.com/ScroogeDaddy/status ... 7723604992
I imagine they gave that to him because they know he's not coming back. Maybe I'm wrong here.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Wavery wrote:
wavedom wrote:I agree that Spoon is likely gone but I wouldn't be surprised if he's back. He's hit well this year but he is average at best in the outfield. I don't see him as a high pick. He may just be ready to move on and will leave no matter the round but it probably won't be for a lot of money.
I totally agree with this. I have not been impressed with his fielding out in center? Didn't he play a lot of 1st base his Freshman year. Wonder if he'd play there at the next level.
Not only has his fielding not been impressive but his lack of concentration on the bases has been a problem. He leads the team in getting picked off at second base.
He looks to be trying to impress the scouts with the strength of his arm making needless throws to home plate instead of hitting the cutoff man and allowing runners to take an extra base
Spoon will not be back. Look for him to get drafted by his home team Colorado
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:According to the official site, Mathews hit .368 with 2 doubles and a triple in the 7 game Fall World Series.

As for Grant Witherspoon, maybe I'm looking into this too much but I did see a picture on Dave's twitter with Witherspoon after the game on Sunday and like the seniors, he was given a frame with his jersey in it. https://twitter.com/ScroogeDaddy/status ... 7723604992
I imagine they gave that to him because they know he's not coming back. Maybe I'm wrong here.
Rowland had the better OPS in the series.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Tulane49 wrote:
Wavery wrote:
Not only has his fielding not been impressive but his lack of concentration on the bases has been a problem. He leads the team in getting picked off at second base.
He looks to be trying to impress the scouts with the strength of his arm making needless throws to home plate instead of hitting the cutoff man and allowing runners to take an extra base
Spoon will not be back. Look for him to get drafted by his home team Colorado
Good point about the base running blunders. And the fact is he doesn't have a good arm.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Spoon is the last guy on this team that anyone should be complaining about.He only leads the team in like every offensive category
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:Spoon is the last guy on this team that anyone should be complaining about.He only leads the team in like every offensive category
It's really amazing, isn't it? Like those that criticized Frazier during basketball season.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: TU 6 ULL 7 / Baseball outlook

Post by wavedom »

No one's complaining. We are discussing his draft possibilities. There are whole's in his game.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Spoon has been a terrific player since day one. Great hitter, great kid. But don’t think for one second the botched base running has something to do with the next level. Whoever his advisor is will be telling him something like you need to steal 30 bases if your HR numbers are not where they should be. This happens to every kid who is a borderline high pick. And can anyone blame the kid provided the coaches are on board.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:No one's complaining. We are discussing his draft possibilities. There are whole's in his game.
Nobody is not going to draft a guy because of base running blunders.
His arm strength is fine. He struck out 3 guys in an inning on almost exclusively fastballs in one of the 2 times he’s pitched here.

Holes*
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:No one's complaining. We are discussing his draft possibilities. There are whole's in his game.
Nobody is not going to draft a guy because of base running blunders.
His arm strength is fine. He struck out 3 guys in an inning on almost exclusively fastballs in one of the 2 times he’s pitched here.

Holes*
No one said he wouldn't get drafted much less not get drafted b/c of his very poor base running but it's been so bad it has to have caught the attention of scouts. His arm is not good. He struck out three against a weak hitting Nicholls team then got clobbered in his next outing and never saw the mound again.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

couple thoughts. Spoon is gone. He will be drafted high enough. I'm guess he is going to land in the 3-5 round range.....and probably be a 4th-5th rounder. Scouts don't care about the baserunning blunders, or the mis play defense, they only care about the tools for the most part. No inside knowledge, just my gut from years of watching. These guys don't know until it happens. Before the season i would've said 8-15th round. His knock was he wasn't a plus at really any tool, but was avg at speed, power, arm, defense or lack thereof, and his positives was his size, LH bat, make up, and still maturing physically.

Now i'm thinking more like 4th- to 5th round because he went to the cape cod league, which is crucial in getting your name on the radar at least. He had an OK cape, but now since going to the cape he was on the radar and was at lease going to get some looks this season at a minimum. Now this season was pivotal for him and could've went many ways from not being drafted to being top 5 rounder.

In order to be bumped up to top 5 rounds, he would have to play CF (check), have to hit for Power (check), have to hit for avg. (check) and have to steal a ton of bases to show his speed (no check) thought this might not really matter as i'm sure he's had to run a 60 yd dash sometime recently so they know exactly what his running abiliity is. Also have many times of him running to 1st out of the box. If he is not deemed fast enough for CF, then he will be seen as a corner OF and being a corner OF, if you want to be a top 3 round guy you have to have a huge arm (no check) and huge pop (no check)...much more so than CF. Speed goes a long way.

Spoon is kind of a fringe corner OF to CF guy, and probably long term is definitely a corner OF'er....hence the reason i think 4th -5th round. his pluses are his size, LH bat, make-up, and he still looks like he's not fully mature physically yet. His LH bat and his size is easily worth a few rounds. He's hit for some power this year, but has not shown enough speed in my opinion, and does not have a plus arm. I'd grade him at best a 50/50/45/45/45...which puts you at about the 4th-5th. What everyone has to remember is it only takes 1 team to think he's got the tools! heres to hoping he gets picked high! Just my oppinion so take it for whats its worth.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Fri May 18, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

huge pick up on that JC pitcher out of Iowa. Chandler i believe. His stats are insane! Only concern though was i went to watch him pitch on youtube and they have him at 86-88mph guy. He must have some serious movement.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

RollWaveRoll, check your pm
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Spoon listed as number 100 on MLB.com top 100 draft prospects.
If there was any doubt before, now you know he’s gone. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 45 | Run: 55 | Arm: 55 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Tulane's best outfield prospect since the Indians made Jason Fitzgerald a supplemental first-round pick in 1997, Witherspoon is one of the more improved college players in the Southeast. After two decent, but far from spectacular, seasons and a similar performance last summer in the Cape Cod League, he has reached double figures in homers and steals. With a chance for average or better tools across the board and the possibility of staying in the middle of the diamond, he should go in the first five rounds of the Draft.

A three-year starter for the Green Wave, Witherspoon always has had the size and bat speed to make an impact at the plate. The key to unlocking his potential has been improving the consistency of his left-handed swing, which still can get loopy at times, and his plate discipline. He's making repeated hard contact and some evaluators believe he could have average power.

Witherspoon isn't always quick out of the batter's box but he has plus speed once underway and can steal and take extra bases. He has solid range and arm strength in the outfield and should be capable of playing all three outfield spots at the next level. He also saw extensive action as a first baseman as a freshman, adding to his versatility.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

In today's article when Jewett was asked about his pro prospects he made note to mention his arm had improved clearly noting it is an issue. Anyone that has watched him play knows that no one fears his arm out there. The only one we have that does strike fear in their hearts is Heinrich's. I wish he could get his bat going.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

wavedom wrote:In today's article when Jewett was asked about his pro prospects he made note to mention his arm had improved clearly noting it is an issue. Anyone that has watched him play knows that no one fears his arm out there. The only one we have that does strike fear in their hearts is Heinrich's. I wish he could get his bat going.
That’s a huge stretch. You could maybe make a case that it’s implying that his arm used to be an issue but even that’s a reaching.
I think he’s going to play in the big leagues,” Tulane coach Travis Jewett said. “Everybody says, 'We’re not going to let him beat us,' and when a guy like that can walk more than he strikes out, his game is pretty complete. He can run. He can defend. His arm has improved. There’s really not much that he can’t do well.
Nothing about that indicates that his arm is an issue. He’s just noting that it’s improved. I’d argue that is closer to him saying that the arm is not an issue any more.

The scouts say it’s an above average arm. I’ll trust them over your eye test.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Jewett is clearly acknowledging that it’s been an issue. His saying it’s improved is not a ringing endorsement. The scouts did not say he had an above average arm. No one has hesitated to run on him. Sorry you can’t see things for yourself.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote:Jewett is clearly acknowledging that it’s been an issue. His saying it’s improved is not a ringing endorsement. The scouts did not say he had an above average arm. No one has hesitated to run on him. Sorry you can’t see things for yourself.
55 is above average
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

ml wave wrote:
wavedom wrote:Jewett is clearly acknowledging that it’s been an issue. His saying it’s improved is not a ringing endorsement. The scouts did not say he had an above average arm. No one has hesitated to run on him. Sorry you can’t see things for yourself.
55 is above average
Indeed it is