The State of Tulane Athletics

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Re: The State of Tulane Athletics

Unread post by tjtlja »

doncecco wrote:Who cares if baseball matters to anyone else, it has always mattered to us - the true Tulane fan. It's the one sport we have consistently competed in with the big bully upriver. And it is the one sport - with Jucos and good development - that can turn around quickly. I honestly have more hope for baseball than basketball. The mess that is college basketball right now will lean toward continuing to favor the powers and we are no where near talented enough to be competitive.

I think football is ok, but not making a bowl this year WILL be a disappointment. By no means do you start over since so much is invested in Fritz's program, but need something more to cheer about that a close call on the last play of the season. Barring a 11-12 win season and top tier bowl, at least Fritz is probably not going anywhere as his style of play will be a turnoff for major programs. But if he does leave because of such a season, I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

The verdict is still out on Dannen. If 2 of the 3 current major program coaches pan out, then I will praise his name. Right now, that seems like a complete coin flip.
+1 - and don’t forget that Tulane baseball draws more people on a per game basis than any other sport except football. If does matter to Tulanians.
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

TU23 wrote: If we are going to make a chance and I had my choice today, it would be Billy Mohl. His teams have pitched extremely well over the years, and he's got a great eye for talent. We'd have to fork over some pretty big coin, but I think he'd be worth it.
Just curious, if this because Yank is unhirable or if not for the transgression, would you still take Mohl over him?
Bring home da Wave!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

doncecco wrote:
TU23 wrote: If we are going to make a chance and I had my choice today, it would be Billy Mohl. His teams have pitched extremely well over the years, and he's got a great eye for talent. We'd have to fork over some pretty big coin, but I think he'd be worth it.
Just curious, if this because Yank is unhirable or if not for the transgression, would you still take Mohl over him?
I'd say he's unhireable
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

gerryb323 wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I'd say he's unhireable
Shame ... shame ... shame... why even open the topic
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Why not open the topic?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

The topic is way, way too sensitive.

Coach Jewett is going nowhere. The coaching changes should be focused on the assistants. Will they or should they be back for 2019?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
doncecco wrote:
I didn't start it!
I'd say he's unhireable
Shame ... shame ... shame... why even open the topic
doncecco
President's Circle

Unread post by doncecco »

tjtlja wrote:The topic is way, way too sensitive.

Coach Jewett is going nowhere. The coaching changes should be focused on the assistants. Will they or should they be back for 2019?
I didn't open the topic. TU23 suggested hiring Billy Mohl. I asked the hypothetical that if Yank was not in the current state of exile, would he still feel Billy is better, strictly a baseball question, as I know he has baseball knowledge. Why is that a shameful question?

There is no doubt that likely no one at the 1-A level, or whatever it is called, and especially not Tulane, would hire him right now.
Bring home da Wave!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:Why not open the topic?
You really want a discussion about the plusses or minuses of hiring Andy be my guest to chase that windmill
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

Stepping back from the baseball coaching discussion, and returning to the broader topic, I'm very pleased with our performance against the University of Houston this year.
visualmagic
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
The topic of whether or not he’s unhireable because of his transgressions is not a dead horse at all.
Right now I’d probably agree that he’s not going to be considered for a head coaching job. A year from now he might be.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
The topic of whether or not he’s unhireable because of his transgressions is not a dead horse at all.
Right now I’d probably agree that he’s not going to be considered for a head coaching job. A year from now he might be.
What level of coaching job though? Do you think he'd be a candidate for an AAC level job? Genuinely wondering.

Personally I don't see him getting anything better than an assistant job at a lower tier school for a few years. If he gets a head coaching job it will be D2 or something like that. Too many coaches out there in the world to want to touch him right now IMO.
visualmagic
President's Circle

He was as hot of a commodity as there was in college baseball coaching. There aren’t exactly many instances of similar things happening in college baseball so it’s hard to say but how long was Bobby Petrino out of coaching? 1 year IIRC.
In baseball AD’s might not think the risk is worth the reward but I guess we’ll find out.
I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s back to being an SEC assistant again. Maybe a head coach in the Southland. Who knows, I could be way off.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

I think it’s karma for the way AC’s family salted Carthage after he didn’t get the Tulane job. No matter how disappointed you are with a hiring decision, your chosen profession is a small world and if you burn bridges it will cause future agida. Anyway, AC made his own problems. But as we all know it today’s world folks will get in bed with anyone if it jibes with their narrative. AC will lay low for a bit and skulk back in somewhere within a year.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

visualmagic wrote:He was as hot of a commodity as there was in college baseball coaching. There aren’t exactly many instances of similar things happening in college baseball so it’s hard to say but how long was Bobby Petrino out of coaching? 1 year IIRC.
In baseball AD’s might not think the risk is worth the reward but I guess we’ll find out.
I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s back to being an SEC assistant again. Maybe a head coach in the Southland. Who knows, I could be way off.
Yeah that's the thing, it's baseball not football. My head went to Petrino too, but that's a revenue sport in a way that baseball isn't. I'm guessing ADs won't think a baseball coach is worth the headache, at least not with issues this recent. A few years as an assistant or lower tier HC and maybe his image is repaired enough that he makes a return. And I also could be way off. We'll see one way or the other.
visualmagic
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:I think it’s karma for the way AC’s family salted Carthage after he didn’t get the Tulane job. No matter how disappointed you are with a hiring decision, your chosen profession is a small world and if you burn bridges it will cause future agida. Anyway, AC made his own problems. But as we all know it today’s world folks will get in bed with anyone if it jibes with their narrative. AC will lay low for a bit and skulk back in somewhere within a year.
One measly tweet from his younger brother has officially been blown out of proportion
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

TUPF wrote:I think it’s karma for the way AC’s family salted Carthage after he didn’t get the Tulane job. No matter how disappointed you are with a hiring decision, your chosen profession is a small world and if you burn bridges it will cause future agida. Anyway, AC made his own problems. But as we all know it today’s world folks will get in bed with anyone if it jibes with their narrative. AC will lay low for a bit and skulk back in somewhere within a year.

Spot on
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
One measly tweet from his younger brother has officially been blown out of proportion
Agreed
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote:
That never happens here. 8)
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

A tweet from someone who really, really should have known better. Even without it, Andy would be radioactive right now.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

It was an immature tweet but it shouldn’t be something that disqualifies AC from future consideration.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

visualmagic wrote:It was an immature tweet but it shouldn’t be something that disqualifies AC from future consideration.
No, he did that on his own
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

visualmagic wrote:It was an immature tweet but it shouldn’t be something that disqualifies AC from future consideration.
It doesn’t and it won’t if he fixes himself and gets his career re-started. If he had not been hired by MSU and were still at LSU and nothing about his personal life were public knowledge the mods would be fainting from deleting all the “fire TJ and hire AC” posts, many of which would be mine. The tweet would be forgotten.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
No, he did that on his own
That’s another story and it’s certainly true right now and I have no issue with holding that against him.
In a year, two years I think that should be reconsidered.