Did we lose more than a baseball game on Thursday?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Did we lose more than a baseball game on Thursday?

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Tulane was bounced out of the AAC baseball tournament on Thursday. But accourding to some concerned fans on FB, me included, the Wave may have lost more than a just a game. If you listened to the broadcast to the very end, it certainly sounded a lot more than just a sign off of the baseball season. Fans there are wondering, and quite justifiably, if it was the last game Graf does for the Wave. Something is in the wind folks. One fan mentioned that what Graf did not say was "See you in August" to end the broadcast. Is he moving on/up (to the Saints maybe?) but could not say those words just yet? Your thoughts.

Editing here:: If you could, when you comment you might want to mention if you heard the broadcast all the way to the end.

Fan since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Wavemania
President's Circle

Re: Did we lose more than a baseball game on Thursday?

Post by Wavemania »

Maybe he is just burnt out from watching and broadcasting all those losses from the big 3 sport. Takes a toll on you after so many years of incompetence :lol: :mrgreen:
murphwave
Coach Level

Post by murphwave »

That would be like losing the heart of the athletics program. Is this speculation or is there any truth or rumblings about this outside of this post?
BS '99
MBA 2007
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

murphwave wrote:That would be like losing the heart of the athletics program. Is this speculation or is there any truth or rumblings about this outside of this post?
I believe he’s been rumored to be a candidate for the Saints job but that’s all I’ve heard.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

murphwave wrote:That would be like losing the heart of the athletics program. Is this speculation or is there any truth or rumblings about this outside of this post?
This is pure speculation at this point in time and originated on the Wave page on FB. But if you listend to Graff all the way to the end of the broadcast, you would totally understand why the specualtion is rampant.

Fan since '54
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

If only there was some type of online meeting place that he frequented where one could ask him (which would also be socially unacceptable)

I'm assuming he's drinking like the guy in Major League to make the pain go away
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

I listened to the end of the game and didn’t really think anything of it
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

visualmagic wrote:
I believe he’s been rumored to be a candidate for the Saints job but that’s all I’ve heard.

Again, if you heard the broadcast to the end you might be leaning toward "more than a candidate".

Fan since '54
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

Fan Since '54 wrote:
visualmagic wrote:

Again, if you heard the broadcast to the end you might be leaning toward "more than a candidate".

Fan since '54

From the smooth and calm voice of Jim Henderson to Graf; quite a contrast to say the least. He would definitely bring excitement to the broadcast when things are going well.

Not sure if it will happen but with WWL, nothing would surprise me, they did employ Da Big Chief Deke for a long time. :?
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

He deserves it if he gets the job. He does an outstanding job. All college announcers are biased as it is impossible not to be and since their audience is the home team fan base it works. The difference is he never disparages our opponents or their coaching staff and handles himself with total class. In fact, he clearly does his homework on our opponents and gives credit when they make a great play or their coach makes a great move. He would be sorely missed if he does move on.

All that being said, I think it is reading too much in to his signoff on a disappointing loss to end a disappointing season. Call me naïve, but I don't think he was thinking of the Saints job when he signed off.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

NJwave wrote:He deserves it if he gets the job. He does an outstanding job. All college announcers are biased as it is impossible not to be and since their audience is the home team fan base it works. The difference is he never disparages our opponents or their coaching staff and handles himself with total class. In fact, he clearly does his homework on our opponents and gives credit when they make a great play or their coach makes a great move. He would be sorely missed if he does move on.

All that being said, I think it is reading too much in to his signoff on a disappointing loss to end a disappointing season. Call me naïve, but I don't think he was thinking of the Saints job when he signed off.
All true. As we know TG wears his emotions on his sleeve. It was a bad ending to a bad season and the wrapup may have reflected that and nothing more.

Regardless great guy. If he gets the Saints job, good luck to him there.

However does that absolutely mean he leaves Tulane? In old days, PBP guys would do both pro and college on same weekend all the time like Ferguson for the Saints? Are those days gone?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

For context, there’s also been discussion of this here:

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50526
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I had heard just recently that local broadcaster "Christian Garrick" from WWL radio is to take Henderson's place with the saints. (don't know how true that is???)
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I was not expecting to see this was the person that may be leaving this morning. Graf is Tulane athletics. The manner in which he conveys his message and delivery reflects how we feel after every win and every defeat. I sure hope he stays because not only is he Tulane athletics, he is a better person.

A brief story. When my son broke his ankle, four Tulane employees visited. Coach Billy Jones, Coach Gabe, Dannen, and Graf. To take the time to come see him made my son’s day. On top of that, he came on this board and wrote how he felt about Jeremy. Our family will never forget his kindness.

I hope selfishly he is the voice of Tulane athletics forever, but he has to do what is best for him and his family and the Saints gig is as good as it gets. Good luck my friend if this is true.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Fair to point out:

For this theory, as laid out, to be true, Graff would have to already know, but the Saints would be having to hide it until after the Tulane season is done. That seems very far fetched to me. The Saints wouldn't wait to announce like that. Not to mention, word would leak from the other hopefuls for the job.

As I've posted in the other thread, there have been a lot of rumors about Graff to the Saints, and it could end up happening. But I find it hard to believe that it's already a done deal, Graff knows, but yet it's still hush hush. Seems a bit tin foil hat to me.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I thought the Zack Strief hire was to fill the position Graf was up for. That may not be correct, but was told Graf was “safe to stay” when Strief was hired.

As far as not saying anything about football, that could have easily been an oversight on his part.

Fortunately, I don’t listen to too many football games because of TV, but I don’t know if listening to baseball would ever be the same. Basketball I probably could adjust to another knowledgeable person with experience calling basketball games.
Last edited by waverider on Fri May 25, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

waverider wrote:I thought the Zack Strief hire was to fill the position Graf was up for. That may not be correct, but was told Graf was “safe to stay” when Strief was hired.
I guess that’s possible but I’d think Strief would be more likely to do the color commentary than the play by play.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
waverider wrote:I thought the Zack Strief hire was to fill the position Graf was up for. That may not be correct, but was told Graf was “safe to stay” when Strief was hired.
I guess that’s possible but I’d think Strief would be more likely to do the color commentary than the play by play.
That was my initial speculation as well. I guess we’ll find out in 3 months, if not before.
Tulane Greenbackers

MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

waverider wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
That was my initial speculation as well. I guess we’ll find out in 3 months, if not before.
Or Strief could be taking on Garrick’s role on talk radio (and maybe sideline reporter) as Garrick moves to play by play.
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

It's very common for guys that NFL PxP to also do college games. A number of the guys on ESPN that do college football are NFL radio guys and I can think of a couple of teams off the top of my head that have voices who also are the voice of a college program. There is very little overlap in terms of conflicts. Would think that Graf could do both if he had the opportunity and wanted to.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

if i had to guess I would think graf would've already squashed this on here if it wasn't true...or maybe he hasnt seen it yet.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

washwave wrote:It's very common for guys that NFL PxP to also do college games. A number of the guys on ESPN that do college football are NFL radio guys and I can think of a couple of teams off the top of my head that have voices who also are the voice of a college program. There is very little overlap in terms of conflicts. Would think that Graf could do both if he had the opportunity and wanted to.
Wes Durham did Ga Tech football and the Atlanta Falcons, concurrently for several years.
Larry Munson did UGA and the Falcons concurrently for a year or two.

I'm sure there are many more... but those are two I worked with.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote:
washwave wrote:It's very common for guys that NFL PxP to also do college games. A number of the guys on ESPN that do college football are NFL radio guys and I can think of a couple of teams off the top of my head that have voices who also are the voice of a college program. There is very little overlap in terms of conflicts. Would think that Graf could do both if he had the opportunity and wanted to.
Wes Durham did Ga Tech football and the Atlanta Falcons, concurrently for several years.
Larry Munson did UGA and the Falcons concurrently for a year or two.

I'm sure there are many more... but those are two I worked with.
Aside from an overseas game, I would think Graf would try to make it work if he could.
Tulane Greenbackers

Saintgreenie
Breaker Level

Post by Saintgreenie »

I'd hate to see Graff leave, but he would be an inspired choice to replace Henderson and I'd be happy for him.

The fact that he'd be heard on this station is a bit ironic:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

According to a Saints message board poster, Graff said on Facebook that he’s no longer being considered for the Saints radio gig.