It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 pm 
Coach Level

windywave wrote:
sr wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
This is a start, but we need more. This staff is not a fit.

What more do we need? Our offense was good this year.

Yeah, but overall game management was lacking IMHO.

The biggest complaint there is he left pitchers in too long, though; right?

He was better with that this year than last but in the biggest game of the year he reverted back to it.
The thing he’s done a really bad job of both seasons is identifying who his high leverage bullpen guys should be. Before the season he was bullish on Will Mcaffer and to a lesser extent Ryan Green. Mcaffer was the closer to begin the season. Neither of those guys have been counted on in big situations in a while. Same thing happened last year.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 am 
Riptide Level

tjtlja wrote:
Windy, it is my understanding our offense was good because Jared did a great job combined with some natural talent. I didn’t hear one thing about the new coach other than he is laid back and is a terrible 3rd base coach. Jared is leaving to take a job with Mariners (I believe).

I wanted a new staff and from what I hear Dannen was emailed quite a bit with those same intentions. I think whatever the buyout squashed this from the get go. This staff may fit in the northwest, but at Tulane???

Nice....I see it didn't take you too long to go from trying to act like you were giving coach a fair chance to....I've been wanting him gone b/c of what happened to my son last year. Nobody wants to see the team lose 2 years in a row but again... he is learning on the job with a less than ideal situation. He lost his original coach from last year. Would you like to make some more posts about how horrible our coaching staff is? I still haven't seen you answer why Pierce's recruiter left for Alabama before he got Texas job. Maybe you should go coach the team since you & your son seem to all of a sudden become savants & started lighting up social media & the forum. I hope this team does great with his 2nd year of recruiting & can finally shut some people up.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:28 am 
Coach Level

I did answer your question about Sean Allen. And what exactly did Jewett do to my son. My son had a career ending injury. What the hell are you talking about?

And yes, I do think we are closer than most. But that doesn’t mean a whole lot if you don’t have good coaching. You got your wish for a third year so we shall see.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:11 am 
Coach Level

BACONWAVE wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Windy, it is my understanding our offense was good because Jared did a great job combined with some natural talent. I didn’t hear one thing about the new coach other than he is laid back and is a terrible 3rd base coach. Jared is leaving to take a job with Mariners (I believe).

I wanted a new staff and from what I hear Dannen was emailed quite a bit with those same intentions. I think whatever the buyout squashed this from the get go. This staff may fit in the northwest, but at Tulane???

Nice....I see it didn't take you too long to go from trying to act like you were giving coach a fair chance to....I've been wanting him gone b/c of what happened to my son last year. Nobody wants to see the team lose 2 years in a row but again... he is learning on the job with a less than ideal situation. He lost his original coach from last year. Would you like to make some more posts about how horrible our coaching staff is? I still haven't seen you answer why Pierce's recruiter left for Alabama before he got Texas job. Maybe you should go coach the team since you & your son seem to all of a sudden become savants & started lighting up social media & the forum. I hope this team does great with his 2nd year of recruiting & can finally shut some people up.

We shouldn’t be hiring a guy that needs to learn on the job.

Seeing how Jewett essentially just fired one of his coaches, it seems like Jewett agrees that the coaching staff wasn’t very good. Are you really using the fact that Billy Jones had to resign as an excuse for this season? Ridiculous. You’re quite the apologist if so. Jewett should have you on payroll.

We’d all love it if he got it turned around. All we can judge him on is what he’s put out on the field and it’s bad. If he doesn’t start winning next year he absolutely has to go. Shouldn’t even be up for debate.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:43 am 
Emerald Circle

BACONWAVE wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

To be fair he stopped all the AC BS (granted it was because of the affair, but he still stopped)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am 
Crest Level

any names out there yall think we should hire? Do we go young like schloss and rick jones did (granted they were pitching guys and handled it themselves)? or do we go veteran with great track record? We have a young guy in a hitting coach role/recruiter, if it was me, i don't know if i'd go young guy as a pitching coach too.

Not 100% on this, but right now I'd probably lean towards looking for a frank anderson type, someone with impeccable track record and proven coach with experience and in 50s-60s to balance out staff. Franks won multiple cws as a pitching coach, been a hc at big 12 school, and was at uh for last several years basically since they became good. Thats the level of pitching coach we were competing against when facing uh.

I first thought of Steve Smith, the Baylor coach that got fired few years ago....looked him up and of course butch Thompson hired him this year. ray heyward? Dave Serrano came to mind but he was hired by wvu this year. Wayne graham in advisory role, hes mentioned hes not done coaching? Just a few thoughts and names, their will probably be some coaches looking right after the season. Gary Henderson? Someone from pitching powerhouse DBU?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:47 am 
Crest Level

def cant go wrong with Latham. They've had unbelievable recent success over there on the mound.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:48 am 
President's Circle

the advantage of a more experienced pitching coach with years in the game is that they also might be able to help with game management -- a true weak spot for Coach Jewett so far. Eddie Smith to me had a rough first year at Tulane; he had just 3 years as a true asst. coach at Virginia in his first real gig, one year at a horrible Santa Clara club and one year as a volunteer asst. at Notre Dame before going the smaller jr. college route.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:54 pm 
Riptide Level

visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

We shouldn’t be hiring a guy that needs to learn on the job.

Seeing how Jewett essentially just fired one of his coaches, it seems like Jewett agrees that the coaching staff wasn’t very good. Are you really using the fact that Billy Jones had to resign as an excuse for this season? Ridiculous. You’re quite the apologist if so. Jewett should have you on payroll.

We’d all love it if he got it turned around. All we can judge him on is what he’s put out on the field and it’s bad. If he doesn’t start winning next year he absolutely has to go. Shouldn’t even be up for debate.

So how exactly can a 1st time head coach learn if not on the job? Is their like some school for 1st time head coaches I've haven't heard of? Do you think going into you second season & already having to replace a coach didn't throw off him & staff? A lot of coaches getting new gigs have the luxury of bringing on coaches they have had for some period of time or at least know. Jewett didn't have ample time like most coaches would normally get when getting a new gig. I am not an apologist. I live in the real world where sometimes common sense needs to be used when determining things. This was gonna be an off year no matter what happened last year. I just don't like this bashing BS for a season everyone knew would be rebuilding. He cut bait & hopefully can find a right fit with a new pitching coach.

He will have next year with HIS 2nd recruiting class to show improvement. If that does not happen then fine go ahead & replace him. But I still don't see what other coach out there would jump at this job with current situation at Tulane. You & tjtlja can try to backpeddle & say ya'll are/were behind him from the start but that is total BS.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 pm 
President's Circle

Here are a few coaching names, pitching coaches with clubs that for the most part ranked high this year in strikeout/walk ratios and ERA.
as mentioned in a previous post by one of Tulane's really good fans, STETSON: pitching coach Dave Therneau
SLU: Daniel Latham, ex-Tulanian
Mercer: Brent Shade--D1 Baseball ranked him the top recruiter in the Southern Conf., where Mercer plays. And his pitching staff has ranked as high at Top 5 nationally at times in fewest walks allowed per 9 innings (somewhere close to 2 walks per 9 frames.) Shade was also pitching coach at Furman for a while before moving on to Mercer where he has coached just under a decade now.
Samford (an under the radar pick): Tyler Shrout (there's a Nashville connection here since Shrout coached pitchers at Lipscomb University in Nashville before his gig with Samford)
Ga. Southern: pitching coach B.J. Green, ex-Alabama pitching coach

Last edited by randymc on Tue May 29, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:40 pm 
Coach Level

I’m saying that in baseball we should be hiring guys that are proven Head coaches for the most part. If we are hiring a guy that hasn’t been a head coach I’d hope it’s a guy that is much younger than Jewett is.
BTW Jewett was a JUCO Head Coach if you want to count that.

I think having to replace Billy Jones had very little impact on anything that happened this season. It wasn’t ideal but I don’t think we win any more games if we still had Billy Jones. Do you?
He was around last year and it didn’t seem to help much.
Quote:
A lot of coaches getting new gigs have the luxury of bringing on coaches they have had for some period of time or at least know. Jewett didn't have ample time like most coaches would normally get when getting a new gig.
You think Jewett didn’t know these guys prior to hiring them? He just coincidentally chose guys that come from the same state he is from? I find that hard to believe.
I’m not sure what you mean about not having ample time.

Quote:
This was gonna be an off year no matter what happened last year. I just don't like this bashing BS for a season everyone knew would be rebuilding. He cut bait & hopefully can find a right fit with a new pitching coach.
Maybe we’d be a little more forgiving if last year wasn’t a total train wreck and we all didn’t hear from several players that said he was in over his head. Regardless of that, the 8th place finish and the way we played was really just very troubling. The same problems for 2 years now.

Filling out your staff is a very important part of whether a Head Coach will succeed or fail. The fact that he’s already had to fire a guy says he did a bad job hiring his staff.

Quote:
He will have next year with HIS 2nd recruiting class to show improvement. If that does not happen then fine go ahead & replace him. But I still don't see what other coach out there would jump at this job with current situation at Tulane. You & tjtlja can try to backpeddle & say ya'll are/were behind him from the start but that is total BS.

I can think of numerous proven coaches that would no doubt take this job.
I won’t need to backpedal. Will you admit that you were wrong when he gets canned?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm 
Regent's Circle

If Daniel Latham returns, will we be able to get sponsorship from Tootsie Roll pop people?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:25 pm 
Navigator Level

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
sr wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

In year one, we never had anyone ready to come in the game. No anticipation. No double barrel action. No decision making (those decisions were left up to Tighe).

In year two, it is my understanding things changed. The in game pitching decisions were handled better (not the results of course).

All you have to know is in Clearwater with a 4-1 lead in the eighth inning with a chance to advance to Friday and have someone beat you twice, we went back to the same formula we had used the entire season. Why isn’t Johnson or Bates on the mound?
Quote:
I have heard Johnson threw a bullpen that day because we thought no one was playing Thursday. If true, what else is there left to say?

Johnson threw a bullpen because the conference said there would be no games on Thursday. Well after the fact they changed course.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:06 pm 
Riptide Level

Quote:

I won’t need to backpedal. Will you admit that you were wrong when he gets canned?[/quote]

Visual please see 2nd sentence in my quote. I have never stated he may not fail. I have stated that he has needed time & apparently the admin also recognizes that. I also see you have nothing better to do than pull up posts from months ago. LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:07 pm 
Riptide Level

wavedom wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
sr wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

In year one, we never had anyone ready to come in the game. No anticipation. No double barrel action. No decision making (those decisions were left up to Tighe).

In year two, it is my understanding things changed. The in game pitching decisions were handled better (not the results of course).

All you have to know is in Clearwater with a 4-1 lead in the eighth inning with a chance to advance to Friday and have someone beat you twice, we went back to the same formula we had used the entire season. Why isn’t Johnson or Bates on the mound?
Quote:
I have heard Johnson threw a bullpen that day because we thought no one was playing Thursday. If true, what else is there left to say?

Johnson threw a bullpen because the conference said there would be no games on Thursday. Well after the fact they changed course.

I would have though our 2 bashing insiders would have known about the conference changing plans before they came posting crap on here. LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
If Daniel Latham returns, will we be able to get sponsorship from Tootsie Roll pop people?

I don't think they went to Tulane, at least the ones my generation.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:39 pm 
Coach Level

BACONWAVE wrote:
Quote:

I won’t need to backpedal. Will you admit that you were wrong when he gets canned?

Visual please see 2nd sentence in my quote. I have never stated he may not fail. I have stated that he has needed time & apparently the admin also recognizes that. I also see you have nothing better to do than pull up posts from months ago. LOL[/quote]

It was pretty funny. You don’t think that’s a bad sign when he talks up how good our pitching staff looks and then they go out and we see they’re actually really bad?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:27 pm 
Coach Level

Visual, don’t even bother. This guy is a real tool. He thinks our players two years ago wanted their new head coach to fail miserably, to not make the post season, to not have a shot at Omaha.

Did anyone see Andrews site after last season where the ex-players unloaded. Of course, bacon strips was at every practice, in the dugout, on the field, in the locker room. He has insight others don’t. Dont waste your time with this guy.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:51 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
Visual, don’t even bother. This guy is a real tool. He thinks our players two years ago wanted their new head coach to fail miserably, to not make the post season, to not have a shot at Omaha.

Did anyone see Andrews site after last season where the ex-players unloaded. Of course, bacon strips was at every practice, in the dugout, on the field, in the locker room. He has insight others don’t. Dont waste your time with this guy.

Can’t say I have. Do you have a link?
I’ve obviously seen your son and Jake Willsey be very critical of Jewett on Twitter. I’ve heard similar things from one other player.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:21 pm 
Coach Level

Honestly, I don’t even know if the social media platform they were using still exist and it is ancient news. The point was those kids wanted to win. They wanted to represent Tulane and live up to the program’s standards. Most of those guys had been through three coaches. Most of those guys were very smart. All of those guys knew a good coaching. The site sort of addressed all of that. Most of these guys are still very close and they want Tulane baseball on the map. End of story til next year.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 pm 
Riptide Level

tjtlja wrote:

Stay classy. At least I don't speak out both sides of my mouth. You talk crap about the staff last year...then hope they turn it around... then not sure... & now total bashing again. I am glad your son & other PLAYERS think they know all about coaching. We get you think he is a moron. We also get that there was a lot of seniors last year who would not listed to him even if he was the 2nd coming of Skip Bertman. There is always 2 sides of every story & then the truth somewhere in the middle. You have shown multiple times that you either actually know more info than you actually give, or just like the post about the bullpen session, just speculate BS to advance your obvious agenda.

There have been numerous posts by others about how they dislike the current state of Tulane baseball. But I think most of them could somehow understand this staff started out under totally different circumstances than Pierce ever did. I get you have a personal agenda...but please don't act like you ever wanted TJ to succeed. Also don't act like you & your son don't have it out for this staff to all get fired as you already stated in a previous post. He has one more year to right the ship. If not he is gone & then you can get your posse together to find another coach.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:46 am 
Coach Level

Quote:
We also get that there was a lot of seniors last year who would not listed to him even if he was the 2nd coming of Skip Bertman.

There’s no evidence of that.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
Quote:
We also get that there was a lot of seniors last year who would not listed to him even if he was the 2nd coming of Skip Bertman.

There’s no evidence of that.

Somebody keeps implying that

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 am 
Coach Level

I haven’t seen that. Just because after the season some players have said that they think he was a bad coach doesn’t mean they didn’t give him a chance in the beginning. It doesn’t even mean that they didn’t listen to him.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 am 
President's Circle

visualmagic wrote:
I haven’t seen that. Just because after the season some players have said that they think he was a bad coach doesn’t mean they didn’t give him a chance in the beginning. It doesn’t even mean that they didn’t listen to him.

And then he didn't scrimmage
:jerry: :jerry: