Tulane vs Ohio State

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Ohio State

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:I saw numerous tweets the past couple of days since the verdict, from either OSU fans or just random others, all of which basically said some form of "I feel bad for Tulane, OSU is going to hang 100 on them to prove a point upon Meyer's return". Of course, I would wager that 100% of those folks don't know a single thing about Tulane's football program this year.

If we don't make mistakes and "don't let Tulane beat Tulane", they aren't going to beat us that badly, because we're going to possess the ball too much for them to score a ton of points. I honestly think we'll score several times against them. Heck, we scored against Oklahoma a few times and that was with them stacking against the run vs. our untested backup QB who couldn't throw a pass to save his life. I mean, it might be something like 41-21 or such (which technically is a whipping) but I don't expect it to be anything like 73-3 or even as bad as Oklahoma last year.

And if everything goes our way, we play our perfect game and get a few bounces our way, you never know....
You are on the money with most of what you say but Brantley did well in that game . More importantly he could throw the ball. He got his throwing shoulder hurt the year before and played through it . He deserves better than most of our fans give him.
We deserve so much better
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Whether Brantley can throw or not (and it was largely not against OU) and/or whether Tulane fans appreciate it is moot as he chose to leave the program.

This idea that Ohio State is going to be ultra fired up for Meyer's first game back and take it all out on the first team they play is just silly - cliche writer stuff that doesn't happen.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote:This idea that Ohio State is going to be ultra fired up for Meyer's first game back and take it all out on the first team they play is just silly - cliche writer stuff that doesn't happen.
The players will be excited to have Meyer back but it's really the fans transferring their frustration that will be noticeable. Their team will have just come off the TCU game and their demeanor will be largely affected by the results of that. But the fans are going to be fired up for sure, and a game that would surely not have been a big deal will certainly now be a sellout and a tough ticket. Does that guarantee a blowout? Of course not.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Talked to an OSU grad I work with. He's worried about us being a trap game especially because we run the spread option
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GSx wrote:Whether Brantley can throw or not (and it was largely not against OU) and/or whether Tulane fans appreciate it is moot as he chose to leave the program.

This idea that Ohio State is going to be ultra fired up for Meyer's first game back and take it all out on the first team they play is just silly - cliche writer stuff that doesn't happen.
In the limited opportunities he was given to throw in that game he did ok. As noted earlier if his perfectly thrown pass is caught in the third quarter it's a different game. It's not moot when someone brings him up.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:Talked to an OSU grad I work with. He's worried about us being a trap game especially because we run the spread option
Of course. If not for the scandal and the hype of this being Meyer's return, literally everything we could have hoped for situationally is perfect.

1. Trap game for them between two ranked opponents.
2. The game after us is being predicted as the determiner of their conference division.
3. We run the type of offense that is hard to prepare for and the two games before and after ensure they can't spend any extra time focusing on how to stop us.
(3A. Now that I think about it, maybe the scandal is a blessing because they'll have a week of distracting media coverage which will take away from their focus on how to stop our offense)
4. For the first time since Fritz arrived, we have the pieces in place offensively at virtually every position and they have experience in the system.

My concerns are our health (specifically Banks, but that's obvious), not making mistakes, and obviously our defense. If Fritzball is rolling as we hope, this could actually turn into a shootout.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

3(a) is just the icing on the cake. We have this in less than 24 hours.

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-ap ... 06782.html

Stay tuned for a relentless month of this with a crescendo week leading into the Tulane game day.

We won't need ESPN CFGD there. We'll have hundreds of media outlets and interested hangers on all looking to ride the pub wagon hounding Meyer and OSU nonstop. I wouldn't be surprised to see some OSU PR type decide it needs a connection to all this in whoever dots the band formation "i' to prove to the world how woke OSU is now.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
GSx wrote:Whether Brantley can throw or not (and it was largely not against OU) and/or whether Tulane fans appreciate it is moot as he chose to leave the program.

In the limited opportunities he was given to throw in that game he did ok. As noted earlier if his perfectly thrown pass is caught in the third quarter it's a different game. It's not moot when someone brings him up.
By definition it is moot. In fact it was moot the second the game ended
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

So we will no longer discuss games once they have ended. Gotcha.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:So we will no longer discuss games once they have ended. Gotcha.
Brantley deserves what he gets from our fans as he decided to leave us.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He deserves the truth about his performance in that game.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:He deserves the truth about his performance in that game.
Pretty sure the game thread and post game stuff praised him sufficiently at the time. To perform as well as he did in that situation was great. He had some good runs and a handful of throws. We don't need to keep it up now that he's gone.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It was brought up by others in this thread. That's why it continues to be discussed. You're just dragging it out.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:So we will no longer discuss games once they have ended. Gotcha.
So you still demonstrate you don't know what moot means
#cousins don't count
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Here is an example of the daily deluge. This is by an AP sports writer so it should only be in a few hundred papers tomorrow. Headline says it all:

"Ohio State opener nears, but the talk is not about football"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... spartandhp
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

It's the flavor of the month now but once games start the news cycle will quickly forget about it. Especially with Meyer able to coach non-gamedays during his suspension. It will of course be a story the week of the game, and probably a distraction during for their team during that week, but I don't think it'll lead national newscasts or anything.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

I wonder what the Florida Gator boards and beat articles were like going in to their game against Georgia Southern, back when Willie Fritz was GSU head coach.

The Buckeyes can overlook us all they want. I'm looking forward to the Wave putting up a good fight.
Last edited by DrHullabaloo on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I wonder what the Florida Gator boards and beat articles were like going in to their game against Georgia Southern, back when Urban Meyer was Florida's head coach and Willie Fritz was GSU head coach.

The Buckeyes can overlook us all they want. I'm looking forward to the Wave putting up a good fight.
Did they play? GSU beat Florida in 2013 but Jeff Monken was at GSU and Wil Muschamp Florida.
Victory is never permanent
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

DrHullabaloo wrote:I wonder what the Florida Gator boards and beat articles were like going in to their game against Georgia Southern, back when Urban Meyer was Florida's head coach and Willie Fritz was GSU head coach..
Florida was 4-6 at that point, with an almost hopeless game against FSU to end the season. They weren't going bowling and their fans were already wanting to fire Muschamp, and were even more depressed because they knew the school couldn't/wouldn't do it in year three. The season was already broken and over and the players were in the dumps. That situation is a far cry from #5, stacked and loaded Ohio State.

Im not saying they can't over look us. I'm not saying we can't surprise. But the 2013 Ga Southern vs Florida game is not a good comparison.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

OGSB wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:I wonder what the Florida Gator boards and beat articles were like going in to their game against Georgia Southern, back when Urban Meyer was Florida's head coach and Willie Fritz was GSU head coach.

Did they play? GSU beat Florida in 2013 but Jeff Monken was at GSU and Wil Muschamp Florida.
You're correct it was Muschamp at Florida, but Fritz was at GSU. I spoke with someone last night that was at the GSU Florida game and they mistakenly passed along that Meyer was still head coach.

Be that as it may. I liked what I saw at Oklahoma, it was not as ass whooping. I am looking forward to seeing what the Greenwave does.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
OGSB wrote:

You're correct it was Muschamp at Florida, but Fritz was at GSU. I spoke with someone last night that was at the GSU Florida game and they mistakenly passed along that Meyer was still head coach.

Be that as it may. I liked what I saw at Oklahoma, it was not as ass whooping. I am looking forward to seeing what the Greenwave does.
Fritz was at Sam Houston State in 2013
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Mystery solved - Jack Curtis!
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

windywave wrote:
greenaub wrote:Just bought four first class tickets:
Nice back door brag
I'd call that front door.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
greenaub
President's Circle

Post by greenaub »

how do I sign us up for the Tulane tailgate?? missed that one.
"Life is not fair, life can be very hard...but life is good"
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

greenaub wrote:how do I sign us up for the Tulane tailgate?? missed that one.
Here you go Greenaub!

https://alumni.tulane.edu/s/1586/Alumni ... 147&crid=0

Looking forward to meeting you there! Roll Wave!!!