Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tulane vs Ohio State
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:23 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Also there are people who don't sign up and then crash it because they feel entitled since "they support the team in other ways."

Serious question. Have you actually seen/heard about people doing that?!?! That's nuts.

We did not "register" for the tailgate, but plan to crash the party. $45 per person (so $90 for Coach Hullabaloo and I) is steep for what usually turns out to be burgers and beer. 

Whatever, I support the program in a whole lot of ways financially and also with my time which I'm not going to enumerate

GIve that feedback to Alum Assoc. My guess is they bump up the price to cover the "comped" folks. To be fair too, you would be astounded how much megaschools charge for prime space catering (which they require visiting schools to use for their alum tailgate events.) Including seat licensing, I bet OSU is selling many season tickets for high three or four figures and five figues for suites. Charging Tulane $8 or whatever for a beer is just chump change and "Welcome to Our Club. After all we're paying you $1.75 million to show up so what's your beef (or beer or whatever?)"

Recognizing all that perhaps better answer is to find a local alum's business to sponsor/subsidize the tailgate in exchange for signage. Pete, Isn't your law frim looking for some litigant referrals? Cheaper than a billboard. (Just kidding. :mrgreen: )

OU was chic fil a and some other stuff not the forced catering. The number of "comped" i.e. university people there was 3 maybe 4. It costs money to rent a tent chairs tables and a spot. If the tailgate was out of a trunk with no overhead that is one thing but it's not which is why the crashing doody is so galling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:32 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Also there are people who don't sign up and then crash it because they feel entitled since "they support the team in other ways."

Serious question. Have you actually seen/heard about people doing that?!?! That's nuts.

We did not "register" for the tailgate, but plan to crash the party. $45 per person (so $90 for Coach Hullabaloo and I) is steep for what usually turns out to be burgers and beer. 

Whatever, I support the program in a whole lot of ways financially and also with my time which I'm not going to enumerate

GIve that feedback to Alum Assoc. My guess is they bump up the price to cover the "comped" folks. To be fair too, you would be astounded how much megaschools charge for prime space catering (which they require visiting schools to use for their alum tailgate events.) Including seat licensing, I bet OSU is selling many season tickets for high three or four figures and five figues for suites. Charging Tulane $8 or whatever for a beer is just chump change and "Welcome to Our Club. After all we're paying you $1.75 million to show up so what's your beef (or beer or whatever?)"

Recognizing all that perhaps better answer is to find a local alum's business to sponsor/subsidize the tailgate in exchange for signage. Pete, Isn't your law frim looking for some litigant referrals? Cheaper than a billboard. (Just kidding. :mrgreen: )

OU was chic fil a and some other stuff not the forced catering. The number of "comped" i.e. university people there was 3 maybe 4. It costs money to rent a tent chairs tables and a spot. If the tailgate was out of a trunk with no overhead that is one thing but it's not which is why the crashing doody is so galling.

I agree absoulutely $45 is too much. Give that feedback to the folks putting th event on. This is a problem that can be worked especially finding sponsors specifically for the event. Tulane does this all the time. It's not an untested concept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am 
President's Circle

I have never attended a Tulane road tailgate. I generally assumed non-alum weren't welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:36 am 
President's Circle

Poseidon wrote:
I have never attended a Tulane road tailgate. I generally assumed non-alum weren't welcome.

That said I am not that big into tailgating, that may have just as much to do with it. I have been to too many LSU tailgates.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:42 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

I agree absoulutely $45 is too much. Give that feedback to the folks putting th event on. This is a problem that can be worked especially finding sponsors specifically for the event. Tulane does this all the time. It's not an untested concept.

We will have to agree to disagree then because that is reasonable to me especially based off of away tailgates for other schools I've paid for or know what people pay. The cost would go down if more people went. Tulane ain't using this as a revenue source no way no how

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:

False.

You are also invited to the NU game tailgate pre party vitory party and impromptu parade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:57 am 
President's Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

You realize this isn't Windy's feedback, right? He found the quote and just didn't pull the user name.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Bumping since page two has the tailgate link and wondering who is already signed up. 94 people registered for the tailgate so far, but some here who claim they are going are not signed up yet...

There are a fair number of people who don't go the tailgates :idea: :idea:

Using myself as an example, I've gone to the tailgate at away games for games I want to see people at, but even more often I don't go to the tailgate because I want to fly under the radar and enjoy the game, not talk to other Tulane people. Other people have other reasons for skipping the official tailgate (money, want to do their own tailgate, have other plans in town besides just the football game, etc)

As opposed to the people who don't buy game tickets because they find them too expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:49 am 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:

Absolutely the contrary. I’ve brought friends who initially couldn’t find Louisiana on a map and they had a great time. If you arrive as early as I usually do, the bar is well stocked and food is plentiful. I usually get my money’s worth either way. We are not the raucous alumni base at megastate university and no one is going to bat an eye if you are not a Tulanian.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Bumping since page two has the tailgate link and wondering who is already signed up. 94 people registered for the tailgate so far, but some here who claim they are going are not signed up yet...

There are a fair number of people who don't go the tailgates :idea: :idea:

Using myself as an example, I've gone to the tailgate at away games for games I want to see people at, but even more often I don't go to the tailgate because I want to fly under the radar and enjoy the game, not talk to other Tulane people. Other people have other reasons for skipping the official tailgate (money, want to do their own tailgate, have other plans in town besides just the football game, etc)

As opposed to the people who don't buy game tickets because they find them too expensive.

Huh?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

Absolutely the contrary. I’ve brought friends who initially couldn’t find Louisiana on a map and they had a great time. If you arrive as early as I usually do, the bar is well stocked and food is plentiful. I usually get my money’s worth either way. We are not the raucous alumni base at megastate university and no one is going to bat an eye if you are not a Tulanian.

Exactly. I went with a buddy to the OU tailgate and he had a great time because greenies are nice folks generally and it's a good atmosphere

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

While I often don't go to these things, I want to concur and saying I've had a great time at every one I've gone to, especially the one at Rice.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:46 pm 
Emerald Circle

I am going to Ohio State and to the tailgate
Maybe they should charge, maybe they shouldn't, but I paid for the tailgate and look forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

The only away tailgate I’ve attended was the one in West Point circa 2007. It was well attended and the food was good from what I could remember. I think it was only about $25/person back then.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

1. Poseidon, Tulane will take anyone's money who is willing to pay and root for the Wave. Actually, they'd take your money even if you weren't rooting for the Wave.

2. Gretna, I was tallest, Matt Popp was 6'9. My men's team had me, Popp, Carter, Cedric Richmond (yes, THAT Cedric Richmond, he was a year behind us in law school and was a great basketball player), and a couple of other good players as well. But my co-ed team was the killer... Me, Popp, Carter, three women in law school who had all played D1 ball, and the two women's assistant coaches who had played at Duke (Katie Meier) and UNC (can't remember her name).

3. Bay, despite graduating law school, I'm not an attorney. And my engineering firm is run by Bearcats so they're not helping me out with that.

4. The tailgate is pricey but for me it's a "once in a blue moon" thing so I'm not complaining, especially since kids 12 and under are free (surprising). This whole Ohio State game thing is pretty "once in a lifetime" so if you're going, you might as well be as Tulane-y as you can be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:10 pm 
Regent's Circle

I was at the Wake Forest Tailgate party; had taken and posted a pic of some of the most ne'er do-well guys imaginable (Roller, Johnny Mac and me, to name a few, the others being protected from being associated with us). Our only beef was that they ran out of beer.

I will certainly attend any tailgate before any away game I go to!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:03 am 
Coach Level

Last year, the Memphis tailgate was free, sponsored by one of the large law firms from NO that has an office up there (Phelps Dunbar, i think). Great BBQ, beer and liquor. The weather did not cooperate but it was fun to huddle under a tent with TU fans.

I haven't traveled as much lately, but in the past, we always try to make the official tailgate. It's always fun and a good way to meet others, many of whom I still see and speak with at other functions.

Below is from the email for the UAB tailgate:

Roll with the Green Wave on Saturday, September 15 as Tulane Football takes on the UAB Blazers in Birmingham. Join your fellow Greenies for food, drinks and plenty of fun!

Tailgate will be located in Blazer Tailgating Village right next to Legion Field. View the tailgating village map here.

Tailgate tickets include brunch, bottled water, soft drinks, beer and mimosas.

Tailgate Tickets
$20 - Adults
$10 Minors (ages 13-20)
FREE - Children 12 and under

$20 for beer, food and mimosas....not a bad deal at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 am 
Regent's Circle

sprout1550 wrote:
Last year, the Memphis tailgate was free, sponsored by one of the large law firms from NO that has an office up there (Phelps Dunbar, i think). Great BBQ, beer and liquor. The weather did not cooperate but it was fun to huddle under a tent with TU fans.

I haven't traveled as much lately, but in the past, we always try to make the official tailgate. It's always fun and a good way to meet others, many of whom I still see and speak with at other functions.

Below is from the email for the UAB tailgate:

Roll with the Green Wave on Saturday, September 15 as Tulane Football takes on the UAB Blazers in Birmingham. Join your fellow Greenies for food, drinks and plenty of fun!

Tailgate will be located in Blazer Tailgating Village right next to Legion Field. View the tailgating village map here.

Tailgate tickets include brunch, bottled water, soft drinks, beer and mimosas.

Tailgate Tickets
$20 - Adults
$10 Minors (ages 13-20)
FREE - Children 12 and under

$20 for beer, food and mimosas....not a bad deal at all.

I am hoping to make it to that game; if so, you can count on me being at that Tailgate!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 am 
Emerald Circle

The UAB tailgates were fun years ago in CUSA days, because Tulane brings several buses up so there is good attendance. I feel like they were actually more expensive a decade ago... that's a good deal.

Our local Cincinnati chapter president has said he'd be reaching out to Tulane about the Cincinnati game. I wonder if Tulane will bother, two weeks after Ohio State.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:39 am 
Regent's Circle

If I don't get to UAB, will try to get to Cincy game if at all possible. Still might try for both!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 am 
Emerald Circle

The game will be Ohio State's:

Alumni Band and Faculty/Staff Appreciation Game

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:34 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
The game will be Ohio State's:

Alumni Band and Faculty/Staff Appreciation Game

Too bad we will ruin it for them

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:47 am 
Emerald Circle

Ohio State Gameday Traditions:

https://thetab.com/us/ohio-state/2017/08/31/the-best-game-day-traditions-at-ohio-state-10057

Quote:
In 1932, then band director Eugene J. Weigel had the band start memorizing music, and scheduled a Saturday morning rehearsal he dubbed a “Skull Session.” Weigel intended for the Skull Session to be a final time for the band to focus on its performance and play the music while mentally practicing each marching maneuver. In 1957, this final rehearsal moved into the new St. John Arena, across the street from Ohio Stadium, and eventually morphed into a rousing pep rally-type atmosphere where the band plays through their entire pre-game and half-time show for the day’s game. Visiting bands are always invited to participate in Skull Sessions, as are occasional Ohio high school bands. In 2001, Coach Jim Tressel began bringing the football team to the Skull Sessions on their way to the stadium. Coaches and a senior player address the crowd in St. John Arena before the band’s performance. Over 10,000 people pack into St. John Arena on home game day Saturdays. Skull Sessions begin two hours before kickoff, but doors open four hours before the game and it’s not uncommon for swarms of fans to arrive that early to secure seats.

An overview from Sports Illustrated, including parking and food suggestions:

https://www.si.com/eats/2017/08/30/ohio-state-tailgate-guide-tips-parking-food-advice

Tailgate info and rules (if you prefer to do your own tailgate to the official one)

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/tailgating/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

What I want to know, and I intend on emailing someone closer to the game to find out, is whether there is parking for us in the lot where we are tailgating. Looking at the address on Google maps, it's a big parking lot for a specific campus building, and I'm sure Tulane will have a big tent in it, so I'm wondering if the rest of the lot is ours for parking. I'm guessing not (because it's close enough to the stadium to be too valuable to just give away to visitors), which would mean parking somewhere farther and finding a way to the tailgate, then finding a way to the game. However, if Tulane paid for that entire lot and parking is included in the tailgate cost, then anyone who considered complaining about the price of this tailgate would be eating those words, because it would be an awesome move by Tulane.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:28 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
2. Gretna, I was tallest, Matt Popp was 6'9. My men's team had me, Popp, Carter, Cedric Richmond (yes, THAT Cedric Richmond, he was a year behind us in law school and was a great basketball player), and a couple of other good players as well. But my co-ed team was the killer... Me, Popp, Carter, three women in law school who had all played D1 ball, and the two women's assistant coaches who had played at Duke (Katie Meier) and UNC (can't remember her name).

Matt always seemed bigger. Maybe it was the width lol. Cedric (who I was in clinic with and knew fairly well) was a college baseball player (a pitcher, if memory serves), so he was obviously quite the athlete.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next