Tulane vs Ohio State

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Ohio State

Post by Poseidon »

Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Things... JUST. GOT. INTERESTING.

(okay, not really, it's not going to affect anything)

Urban Meyer knew of 2009 abuse allegations involving fired Ohio State assistant Zach Smith
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
Going 6-6 would be a grounds for being fired at a major football school. All else is forgiven.
So now they spin "Meyer knew about it" into "Meyer LIED ABOUT IT". Will this make any difference? Doubtful.
MSN and the media that report and recycle theses cases are pathetic leeches. This story is helps no one except the media's bottom line. Also, in Meyer's defense, you can't tell the media the truth because they will not report the whole truth. They will report enough of the truth to make a story controversial and if its misleading who cares. It's a more sophisticated mirage akin to click-bait titles.
Poseidon, get off your soapbox.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Poseidon wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
NJwave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:Things... JUST. GOT. INTERESTING.

(okay, not really, it's not going to affect anything)

Urban Meyer knew of 2009 abuse allegations involving fired Ohio State assistant Zach Smith
Going 6-6 would be a grounds for being fired at a major football school. All else is forgiven.
So now they spin "Meyer knew about it" into "Meyer LIED ABOUT IT". Will this make any difference? Doubtful.
MSN and the media that report and recycle theses cases are pathetic leeches. This story is helps no one except the media's bottom line. Also, in Meyer's defense, you can't tell the media the truth because they will not report the whole truth. They will report enough of the truth to make a story controversial and if its misleading who cares. It's a more sophisticated mirage akin to click-bait titles.
Poseidon, get off your soapbox.
Preemptive. I like it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

So here's the sticky point: Meyer signed a new contract and received a raise this past Spring. Part of the new terms in the contract read:
“Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State’s Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Athletics any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty, or staff that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event.”
and - AND -

To the section covering reasons for termination for cause, a provision was added that states Meyer’s contract can be terminated if he fails to promptly report to the university’s deputy Title IX coordinator-athletics or the university’s Title IX coordinator [the above violations]. This new provision also states that:
“It is recognized that this subsection” pertaining to grounds under which Meyer can be terminated for cause “encompasses findings or determinations of violations during employment of Coach at Ohio State or any other institution of higher learning.”
...which covers the stuff Meyer knew about which happened when he was at Florida.

Sorry Poseidon, but while I agree with your take on MSN stories, this isn't click-bait. All the above is taken from here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz

This is pretty dang cut-and-dried if OSU has the stones to enforce the rules they just added. They would have to fire Meyer. These additions, of course, are not an "oops, we forgot to include this stuff when you first signed", but were added as a result of the national sentiment and raised awareness created by the "#MeToo" movement this past year. In other words, it's gonna take one heck of a spin job by OSU to keep Meyer without looking really, really bad.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

As was referenced earlier - watch for the heart attack … :razz:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Pete if they fire him it won't be for the clause cited. Title IX wouldn't apply and the clauses as written don't apply because the alleged victim was not a student at the University
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Was the guy ever convicted of abusing his wife, or is this all alleged crimes? How do we know this isn't a spiteful ex wife? It seems everyone skipped the part to see if the story was true and went straight to the witch hunt.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

apparently Urban's wife knew of the abuse years ago - they are not sure if Urban knew or not ... but he has supported the coach over the years and the question is - did he know about the abuse and did he continue to employ the coach. apparently a restraining order on the coach..not sure about any conviction from what little i read.

we will see if it has any impact on the team - not sure either way, but makes the TU game that much more interesting - can we focus will OSU be focused on something else..

who knows - i just hope we represent ourselves well and play a good game
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

RI WAVE wrote:we will see if it has any impact on the team - not sure either way, but makes the TU game that much more interesting - can we focus will OSU be focused on something else..
My sentiments exactly. However, the media and social media are the judge and jury these days and that is a very hazardous and dangerous thing because the motives they have are not justice with the least amount of collateral damage possible. There is no thought of about the scales of justice, just clicks and reporters and bureaucrats trying to gain prestige any way possible. The press/media is still viewed by too many as a check on power, but the press/media itself is now that very power that decides what is just and right with little challenge.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Bad timing for Meyer. I highly doubt he survives this. This is now, at least, the third case of misconduct to hit Ohio State in the last few years (Band and wrestling team). The other two were done under different leadership so the new leadership is going to have to prove that changes are taking place and that this won't be tolerated. My understanding is that there is already an open investigation going on in regards to the wrestling team so this will make a second one.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:However, the media and social media are the judge and jury these days and that is a very hazardous and dangerous thing because the motives they have are not justice with the least amount of collateral damage possible. There is no thought of about the scales of justice, just clicks and reporters and bureaucrats trying to gain prestige any way possible. The press/media is still viewed by too many as a check on power, but the press/media itself is now that very power that decides what is just and right with little challenge.
Or sometimes things are as they seem.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

SlidellWave wrote:Bad timing for Meyer. I highly doubt he survives this. This is now, at least, the third case of misconduct to hit Ohio State in the last few years (Band and wrestling team). The other two were done under different leadership so the new leadership is going to have to prove that changes are taking place and that this won't be tolerated. My understanding is that there is already an open investigation going on in regards to the wrestling team so this will make a second one.
They might as well launch a full investigation, clean house, and blame it all on Urb à la UCon and Ollie. It's like an institutional get out of jail free
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

SlidellWave wrote:Bad timing for Meyer. I highly doubt he survives this. This is now, at least, the third case of misconduct to hit Ohio State in the last few years (Band and wrestling team). The other two were done under different leadership so the new leadership is going to have to prove that changes are taking place and that this won't be tolerated. My understanding is that there is already an open investigation going on in regards to the wrestling team so this will make a second one.
Good observation. I hadn’t yet pulled that all together since I tend to focus only on Tulane. Thank God I retired and don’t have to be around all the Penn State homers anymore.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Report: Ohio State will pay Tulane $1.5M for football meetup this season

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 4ba5e.html

The Green Wave will receive a $1.5 million payout for accepting the game, the second highest payment the Buckeyes will give out to an opponent this season
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

GreenieBacker wrote:Report: Ohio State will pay Tulane $1.5M for football meetup this season

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 4ba5e.html

The Green Wave will receive a $1.5 million payout for accepting the game, the second highest payment the Buckeyes will give out to an opponent this season
Thought I read where it was $1.3MM -
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Post by Cheerleader »

Sounds worth it to me. How much did Oklahoma pay us last year?
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

1.2M
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Believe we'll be getting even more from the Auburn game coming up.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Myers should get out of the game and stay out. He's scum. I play golf with a guy who was in the Utah sports dept when Myers was there. He would do anything to get anybody there. He ran a prison at Florida. He represents what is wrong with college football.
Briles and Freeze are permanently gone. The game is better without those two and the same for Mr Myers.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

1401973 wrote:Myers should get out of the game and stay out. He's scum. I play golf with a guy who was in the Utah sports dept when Myers was there. He would do anything to get anybody there. He ran a prison at Florida. He represents what is wrong with college football.
Briles and Freeze are permanently gone. The game is better without those two and the same for Mr Myers.
Ah, but he wins...the salve that soothes most wounds.

But then somebody posted that the Buckeyes have canned every coach for what, 70 years? Combine that with the OSU smarmy wrestling scandal and the OSU Board of Trustees might be feeling a little heat to act decisively.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Bad Timing Part 2:

They started selling these shirts earlier this year:
https://kuhoostore.com/products/urban-m ... 20Shopping
(If someone wants to post the image I can't)

I think I need to buy one.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

1401973 wrote:Myers should get out of the game and stay out. He's scum. I play golf with a guy who was in the Utah sports dept when Myers was there. He would do anything to get anybody there. He ran a prison at Florida. He represents what is wrong with college football.
Human beings are so interesting.

ESPN just announced that Art Briles is moving to Italy to coach an American Football team there. That is probably the start of his rehabilitation of his career.

Ohio State has issues that go beyond Urban Myers imo. Whatever sins Myers has are just a symptom of whatever problems Ohio State has in running a program and keeping a check on things.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

SlidellWave wrote:Bad Timing Part 2:

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Ok, I’ll say it. Have his supporters broken out the Witch Hunt memes yet?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

SlidellWave wrote:Bad Timing Part 2:

That is freaking awesome.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

we didn't fare too well against a third ranked team being coached by a newly hired replacement for a head coach who left suddenly... but we're better this year! (I hope!)

Meyer is done... his wife alone is facing Title IX charges for doing nothing.. she's on staff at Ohio State.. I wouldn't be surprised to see Meyer take the fall to prevent his wife from facing the music for her failure to act
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest