The stigma of losing

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Re: The stigma of losing

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I had a friend once who went to Tulane in the 20's. He told me stories of the Rose Bowl and the glories of the 40's. But he always said that our loyalty to Tulane since then bordered on a sickness that we couldn't shake. When I went to Tulane in the early 60's, at one point we lost 17 straight, and LSU beat us 62-0 twice, but I never lost my sickness, and I am not an Orleanian and never have been. I also became a Phillies fan when I was 10 years old, just because I read about the Whiz Kids. I have no connection at all to Philadelphia, but have been a loyal Phillies fan for all these years. I even went to a Phillies Fantasy Camp when I turned 50 and met all my boyhood heroes. If you are a fan of a losing team, it just is a sickness that you are afflicted with and can't do anything about. Think about Cleveland and the Cubs. You always think the next year is going to be much better. If you are a fan of a perennial winner, you are worried the whole off-season that things are going to get worse. It's just a sickness that we have to live with. At least I have the 98 season to remember.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

GreenieBacker wrote:yes you did at least two of us are telling you that you're reading something into it that is not there. But if that's how you want to look at it, carry on.
That's not the case. He said what he said about non-alum fans. Sorry but those privileges that one gets the others do too here. If he wants to make things right he can apologize and thank all of those who have chosen Tulane and stayed with them through all these many long years.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Roller wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
wavedom wrote:A fan is a fan. There's no different privileges for one than another. If he wanted to say that he didn't like fans who only showed up to complain that's one thing. Trying to say that if one didn't go to Tulane they don't have that privilege is ignorant.
Who are you trying to kid? There is a lot of difference between someone who is a fan because they have a deep personal attachment and someone who chose to be a fan for their own reasons.
I have low regard for anyone who is an alumnus of any university who is not also a fan of their athletic teams. But to CHOOSE to be a fan of a team, and then complain about them is a form of self-flagellation, and that seems a bit disingenuous.
So fans of pro teams can never complain. :roll:
Their loyalties are a personal choice. If they don't like the way things are being done, they are always free to move to another team.
One does not change one's Alma Mater. That is an important distinction between the types of fans. Like brand loyalty versus family loyalty.
Just what we have come to expect. :roll:
We deserve so much better
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LSU Law Greenie »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Since '50 the Green Wave have had three occasions where they put up back-to-back winning seasons ('55-'56, '72-'73, and '97-98) and one instance of back-to-back-to-back winning seasons ('79-'80-'81). Nothing Alabamerish about that. And since '03, they have posted one winning season ('13).

Fan since '54
When you look at it in writing, its very sobering. We must have the worst winning percentage of any team in the country from 1950 thru today. And until now I didn't realize we haven't had but 1 winning season since 2003. :shock:
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote: Since '50 the Green Wave have had three occasions where they put up back-to-back winning seasons ('55-'56, '72-'73, and '97-98) and one instance of back-to-back-to-back winning seasons ('79-'80-'81). Nothing Alabamerish about that. And since '03, they have posted one winning season ('13).

Fan since '54
When you look at it in writing, its very sobering. We must have the worst winning percentage of any team in the country from 1950 thru today. And until now I didn't realize we haven't had but 1 winning season since 2003. :shock:
True but this is why hiring a winner like Fritz is so important! I am glad we extended his contract and hope we can keep him here for 10+ years of winning football, a la Snyder at Kansas State! Roll Wave!!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

As concerns Snyder, KSU was the worst team in the history of D1 football before he arrived. Just thought I'd offer that factoid with a Kleenex for those of you who need one (or two.)
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Fan since '54
We probably don't
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Di ... ss_records

That link is all time win %. It's not since 1950, but it's easy to see from that we aren't worst. Not that that's saying much.

In case you don't want to click, we are 114th out of all 130 current FBS teams. We are ahead of Wake, Indiana, and Northwestern for what that's worth.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

I think the “since 1950” or since 1960 data would be quite illuminating. People tend to forget Tulane was a national power for the first 50 plus years Tulane played football. Heck, even when I started paying attention in the early 80s we still had overall winning records against teams like ole miss and state. And at that point they did not assume a likely victory when they played us. I think most of the decline was from the mid 80s through the 90s with the notable exceptions of the Last Brown year and Bowden’s two seasons. Since then we have continued mostly to shoot ourselves in the foot. May 2018 be the season in which the doldrums end!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

Wavefan wrote:I think the “since 1950” or since 1960 data would be quite illuminating. People tend to forget Tulane was a national power for the first 50 plus years Tulane played football. Heck, even when I started paying attention in the early 80s we still had overall winning records against teams like ole miss and state. And at that point they did not assume a likely victory when they played us. I think most of the decline was from the mid 80s through the 90s with the notable exceptions of the Last Brown year and Bowden’s two seasons. Since then we have continued mostly to shoot ourselves in the foot. May 2018 be the season in which the doldrums end!
My money is still on NU
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Fan Since '54 »

Wavefan wrote:I think the “since 1950” or since 1960 data would be quite illuminating. People tend to forget Tulane was a national power for the first 50 plus years Tulane played football. Heck, even when I started paying attention in the early 80s we still had overall winning records against teams like ole miss and state. And at that point they did not assume a likely victory when they played us. I think most of the decline was from the mid 80s through the 90s with the notable exceptions of the Last Brown year and Bowden’s two seasons. Since then we have continued mostly to shoot ourselves in the foot. May 2018 be the season in which the doldrums end!
Okay time to add a little levity here, along with some agnst at the same time.

I don't really think we have "shot ourselves" in that foot at any time, but really only because we have been so inept at sports in general, that we probably tried but missed. Yea, I know, a conundrum.

FS'54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Cheerleader wrote:I had a friend once who went to Tulane in the 20's. He told me stories of the Rose Bowl and the glories of the 40's. But he always said that our loyalty to Tulane since then bordered on a sickness that we couldn't shake. When I went to Tulane in the early 60's, at one point we lost 17 straight, and LSU beat us 62-0 twice, but I never lost my sickness, and I am not an Orleanian and never have been. I also became a Phillies fan when I was 10 years old, just because I read about the Whiz Kids. I have no connection at all to Philadelphia, but have been a loyal Phillies fan for all these years. I even went to a Phillies Fantasy Camp when I turned 50 and met all my boyhood heroes. If you are a fan of a losing team, it just is a sickness that you are afflicted with and can't do anything about. Think about Cleveland and the Cubs. You always think the next year is going to be much better. If you are a fan of a perennial winner, you are worried the whole off-season that things are going to get worse. It's just a sickness that we have to live with. At least I have the 98 season to remember.
Yea, you/we do, but the problem with that is that if ever you speak with an incomming freshmen @ Tulane now, they certainly have little knowledge and no remeberance of that year. So in their recollection there is no history of Tulane being anything but a footnote in what the college game is today. They have nothing "to hang on to" like we do. And certainly nothing to brag about. :(

Fan since '54
rjc
Breaker Level

Unread post by rjc »

From 1950 to 2017 we have 265 wins and 478 losses with 9 ties.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

For a winning (?) percentage of .3543. :(

Fan since '54