Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:06 pm 
Breaker Level

Tulane’s Charles Higgins (Sailing coach), Fritz and Dannon will be at a Tulane Reception in Newport RI (the Mooring) at 6 PM / 6:30 ( I think ). If you are in the NE, it would be a great time to show your support for the Wave! Was just at NYYC for their Annual Regatta, Newport is ramping up for the tourist season and will be in full swing by late July. Best alternative would be to take the Ferry from Providence.($15 each way) see Narragansett Bay, avoid the traffic and it docks about a mile from the Mooring Rest. Bicycle cab, taxi or uber if you don’t like to walk.. looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

that is a great town .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm 
Junior

It docks at Perotti Park, a three minute walk to the Moorings. Stay in Newport if you can. You may want to take advantage of the quaint Coastal New England scenery before it's uprooted to Dallas. It is the best pre-season media event anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:15 am 
Junior

Had one vote gone differently in 1982 Penn State and ultimately Notre Dame would have anchored the football bona fides of the Big East Conference. The ACC wouldn't have gone on a scavenging raid and we'd likely still be in CUSA. Thank you St. Johns Georgetown & Villanova.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:38 am 
Navigator Level

Yankeewave wrote:
that is a great town .

No doubt. Was just up there in April for my middle son's Navy OCS graduation in April. Slow time of year for them, but the town was still a blast. Good food, bars, scenery, museums.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:56 am 
Emerald Circle

Is Higgins related to Higgins of Higgins boat fame?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:00 am 
Emerald Circle

1401973 wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
that is a great town .

No doubt. Was just up there in April for my middle son's Navy OCS graduation in April. Slow time of year for them, but the town was still a blast. Good food, bars, scenery, museums.
They still have OCS there? Good stuff. It’s not Officer and a Gentleman OCS, rather knife and fork school for doctors and lawyers. My Tulane roommate, a complete landlubber from New Hampshire, went through OCS there after he became a doctor of public health. I used to drive over from the New London Submarine Base to give him grief and to hit the bars with him. He literally did not know which arm to salute with...and retired 25 years later as a Navy Medical Corps captain.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:19 am 
Junior

TUPF wrote:
1401973 wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:
that is a great town .

They still have OCS there? Good stuff. It’s not Officer and a Gentleman OCS, rather knife and fork school for doctors and lawyers. My Tulane roommate, a complete landlubber from New Hampshire, went through OCS there after he became a doctor of public health. I used to drive over from the New London Submarine Base to give him grief and to hit the bars with him. He literally did not know which arm to salute with...and retired 25 years later as a Navy Medical Corps captain.

Naval Station Newport has had a recent resurgence: War College, Submarine payload & systems, NAPS, OCS, Naval Supply School, Naval Fire School, Naval law, Marine Corps Systems Tech School (Unaccompanied Jarheads straight out of boot camp and wild as the day is long).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm 
Breaker Level

Any Fans in N. E. planning to join me in Newport this year?