CFN Season Preview

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

CFN Season Preview

Unread post by Yankeewave »

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/06 ... eview-2018

note, the preview is 5 pages, you have to click through all of them

they have us winning 6 and going to a bowl
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: CFN Season Preview

Unread post by wavedom »

Thanks. I would note that the recruiting analysis is of CUSA.
We deserve so much better
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

wavedom wrote:Thanks. I would note that the recruiting analysis is of CUSA.
that's ALL you noticed? "hoping 330-pound Braynon Edwards can be a force on the nose" - pretty sure that's not gonna happen
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

He's still on the official roster, which has continued to update itself.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:He's still on the official roster, which has continued to update itself.
"official roster" on the website list the 2018 Spring Roster (look to the upper right)...

from March 24 (bottom of article under "DEPARTURES")

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... b5368.html
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Johnny Mac wrote:
wavedom wrote:Thanks. I would note that the recruiting analysis is of CUSA.
that's ALL you noticed? "hoping 330-pound Braynon Edwards can be a force on the nose" - pretty sure that's not gonna happen
Noticed it but that had been discussed here before.
We deserve so much better
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Johnny Mac wrote:
long green wrote:He's still on the official roster, which has continued to update itself.
"official roster" on the website list the 2018 Spring Roster (look to the upper right)...

from March 24 (bottom of article under "DEPARTURES")

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... b5368.html
Gee, thanks, Johnny. I know he said he was leaving. I just noticed he's still there while some other players' names have fallen off that same roster since the end of spring.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

highest rated AAC team is 43rd, UCF. This is a P5 schmooze-fest fake football news BS. LSU is 14th BTW. Kansas 73.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Poseidon wrote:highest rated AAC team is 43rd, UCF. This is a P5 schmooze-fest fake football news BS. LSU is 14th BTW. Kansas 73.
Generally speaking, based on how teams finished ranked in 2017, all P5 schools will be much improved while all not P5 are going to be way worse.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
Poseidon wrote:highest rated AAC team is 43rd, UCF. This is a P5 schmooze-fest fake football news BS. LSU is 14th BTW. Kansas 73.
Generally speaking, based on how teams finished ranked in 2017, all P5 schools will be much improved while all not P5 are going to be way worse.
Do explain...

From my observations The Power 5 media works like this: 1) whenever a non P5 loses a player the player filling the void presumably sucks; P% loses players there will see a small drop off at the position but it won't affect them 2)if a bad power 5 returns most of its players then the team should be much better conversely if a bad G5 team returns its players the players still suck. 3) The recruits coming into power 5 should improve the team; recruits going into G5 suck unless proven otherwise. 4) G5 loses it's coach then it is going to see a big drop.

LSU being in the top 15 is based on what?
They lost most of their secondary and are razor thin. They still don't have a QB. They fired their OC and hired a retread they didn't keep two years ago.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Do explain...

From my observations The Power 5 media works like this: 1) whenever a non P5 loses a player the player filling the void presumably sucks; P% loses players there will see a small drop off at the position but it won't affect them 2)if a bad power 5 returns most of its players then the team should be much better conversely if a bad G5 team returns its players the players still suck. 3) The recruits coming into power 5 should improve the team; recruits going into G5 suck unless proven otherwise. 4) G5 loses it's coach then it is going to see a big drop.

They lost most of their secondary and are razor thin. They still don't have a QB. They fired their OC and hired a retread they didn't keep two years ago.
Sorry, according to their rankings. Tulane for example finished last year #81, start this year 102. Army fell something like 70 spots. LSU starts circa 30 higher.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
OGSB wrote:
Do explain...

Sorry, according to their rankings. Tulane for example finished last year #81, start this year 102. Army fell something like 70 spots. LSU starts circa 30 higher.
:wink: Got you. I thought you making a prediction, but you were making an observation.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

so, focusing on LSU being overrated but miss out on the ONE glaring "error" in these rankings.. Kansas at 73? Seriously? Are they even going to win a game this season?

They will surely go 0-9 in the Big 12. Not one team, not even Baylor, is worse than Kansas in that conference. I would take whatever points Nicholls is getting in their season opener.. and I doubt they beat both Rutgers and Central Michigan.. maybe one, but not the other. I say 2-10 at BEST... with 1-11 being highly probable.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

CFN ranked Willie Fritz the 107th coach in the country. That is higher than 2 AAC coaches (Montgomery at ECU and Edsall at UConn).

They do foresee him consistently winning at Tulane:
107. Willie Fritz, Tulane

Record With Current Team: 3rd season, 9-15

Where He’ll Be In Five Years: Settled in after finally turning Tulane into a consistent winner.
https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/07 ... ssion=true
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:CFN ranked Willie Fritz the 107th coach in the country. That is higher than 2 AAC coaches (Montgomery at ECU and Edsall at UConn).

They do foresee him consistently winning at Tulane:
107. Willie Fritz, Tulane

Record With Current Team: 3rd season, 9-15

Where He’ll Be In Five Years: Settled in after finally turning Tulane into a consistent winner.
https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/07 ... ssion=true
So pretty much every other publication raves about what a great coach WF is and how we'll be great soon. This article even implies that since they expect in five years he'll have us as a consistent winner. Yet they rank him 107th. That's a contradiction... or just plain stupid (hmmm). They're basically ranking teams, not coaches. If you expect a coach is going to turn a program from a loser into a winner, then he should inherently be much higher, arguably top half of all coaches. I mean, either you are going to make (or maintain) a winner (top coaches), consistently be mediocre (average coaches, in the middle), or you're gonna lose (lower ranked coaches), right? So if WF is going to take a loser and make them a winner, then he has to be a "top" coach.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac wrote:so, focusing on LSU being overrated but miss out on the ONE glaring "error" in these rankings.. Kansas at 73? Seriously? Are they even going to win a game this season?

They will surely go 0-9 in the Big 12. Not one team, not even Baylor, is worse than Kansas in that conference. I would take whatever points Nicholls is getting in their season opener.. and I doubt they beat both Rutgers and Central Michigan.. maybe one, but not the other. I say 2-10 at BEST... with 1-11 being highly probable.
So they finish 2017 at 129, start 2018 at 73 and do it with (according to poll posted by waverider) the worst coach in college football. The potential for Kansas football with a good coach must be enormous.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

If you look in the dictionary for the definition of "lip service" you will find one of the accepted description is the coverage of group of five schools by CFN.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy