It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Evanston Roll Call
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:27 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
I would have to say I'm a "yes" for this game at this point... there will in all likelihood be an alumni tailgate near the stadium... it's the Friday night and post game spots we'd need to coordinate.

Having been to the away alumni tailgates is what necessitates me throwing one.... now if I was in charge of the alumni one......

You'd have security?

Amongst other enhancements

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
I would have to say I'm a "yes" for this game at this point... there will in all likelihood be an alumni tailgate near the stadium... it's the Friday night and post game spots we'd need to coordinate.

Having been to the away alumni tailgates is what necessitates me throwing one.... now if I was in charge of the alumni one......

You'd have security?

so I guess Dr. Hulabaloo would have to buy a ticket if you were in charge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
windywave wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:

You'd have security?

so I guess Dr. Hulabaloo would have to buy a ticket if you were in charge

Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear poop in the woods? Are LSU grads illiterate?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

Did a reconnaissance mission today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 am 
Navigator Level

That game should occur during the MLB season. One can only hope, a Tulane game, a series at Wrigley to see the beloved Cubbies, a classic butter crust deep dish at Lou Malnati's in the Gold Coast, brunch at the Little Goat Diner, dinner at the Purple Pig, Italian beef dip at Portillo's, and a Chicago Dog with grilled onions under the left field grandstands at the end of the 4th inning. The trip of the decade, who's in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 am 
Emerald Circle

tufinal4 wrote:
That game should occur during the MLB season. One can only hope, a Tulane game, a series at Wrigley to see the beloved Cubbies, a classic butter crust deep dish at Lou Malnati's in the Gold Coast, brunch at the Little Goat Diner, dinner at the Purple Pig, Italian beef dip at Portillo's, and a Chicago Dog with grilled onions under the left field grandstands at the end of the 4th inning. The trip of the decade, who's in.

Purple Pig? Surely you can do better!

Little goat is passable but there are better options

Also a true Chicago dog does not have grilled onions but I know about the stand you're talking about and always have one (along with an Old Style).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:42 am 
Emerald Circle

By 2020, the rightful hierarchy will have been restored and the Southside will rule again.
As for the schedules, for G5 OOC, I'd like to see a game on the West Coast. Otherwise, I guess we just as soon schedule the locals (I can't believe I'm saying that) with Sou Miss the preferred option.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

tufinal4 wrote:

love Malnati's... even their gluten free crust is awesome.. yeah, yeah, I know.. sacrilege... but if you still want a Malnati's pizza with everyone else, the non wheat eaters need something

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
tufinal4 wrote:

love Malnati's... even their gluten free crust is awesome.. yeah, yeah, I know.. sacrilege... but if you still want a Malnati's pizza with everyone else, the non wheat eaters need something

Even better than the cardboard you recommend is the sausage crust. Yup instead of bread you get sausage as the base of a pizza. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rough idea for Friday night windy party in my backyard. You only have to pay cover of you are crashing the tailgate Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:02 am 
Regent's Circle

My national organization is at McCormick place mid-October; will have a chance to try a few places while there. If there are places that unique food and great wine lists (my host is a real oenophile and will want a place with great wine selections), let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:11 am 
President's Circle

Will definitely be shooting to make this one. I said that about Ohio St. and am having to skip it, but I'd really like to spend some time in the Chicago area. My only experience was a several hour layover which I used to tour Wrigley.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:24 am 
Emerald Circle

Mrs. TUPF and I will be there. Already reserved the weekend with Chicago friends.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 am 
Emerald Circle

i am not sure if Tulane will throw an official tail gate which seems to be the case at OSU or if they will just have local group do it ( my friend went to one thrown by the local group at Temple a few years back and said it was great, but they had pretty small numbers).

it might make sense for the school to do it given the large number of alumni in chicago. renting a few parking spaces and trying to do it out of the back of cars might not do the trick. i am trying to think if there are bars within walking distance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:15 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
i am not sure if Tulane will throw an official tail gate which seems to be the case at OSU or if they will just have local group do it ( my friend went to one thrown by the local group at Temple a few years back and said it was great, but they had pretty small numbers).

it might make sense for the school to do it given the large number of alumni in chicago. renting a few parking spaces and trying to do it out of the back of cars might not do the trick. i am trying to think if there are bars within walking distance.

That would be way too smart for TAA to do your best bet is TD or Fitts

If they don't do it right I'm tempted to shame them with my own tailgate. It's not rocket science to have a good one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:28 am 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

If they don't do it right I'm tempted to shame them with my own tailgate. It's not rocket science to have a good one

it is not rocket science, but it is also not that easy if you are dealing with large numbers. if you are talking 20 people, sure, no problem but if you are talking 100 people it is not as easy. also, i am not sure what kind of institutional hurdles Northwestern throws up. I am guessing, given that its one of tulane's largest target cities, that the Athletics Department will be all over it.

On another note, NU just got some transfer from Clemson who was like the #2 pro-stile QB recruit a few years back, if my math is correct he should be entering his prime when we play them :evil2:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

it is not rocket science, but it is also not that easy if you are dealing with large numbers. if you are talking 20 people, sure, no problem but if you are talking 100 people it is not as easy. also, i am not sure what kind of institutional hurdles Northwestern throws up. I am guessing, given that its one of tulane's largest target cities, that the Athletics Department will be all over it.

On another note, NU just got some transfer from Clemson who was like the #2 pro-stile QB recruit a few years back, if my math is correct he should be entering his prime when we play them :evil2:

Ye of little faith and negative outlook.

Irving's or Mustard's catering doing dogs brats and burgers. Chips from Costco. 8 to 10 kegs of beer. Soda water juice. Music. Done and done for 100 people.

Next up I'll design a lasting peace in the middle east

ETA that's my not yet caffeinated off the top of my head plan. I can go bigger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:35 am 
Emerald Circle

Relax windy, of course Tulane will organize one themselves, just as they are doing at OSU. If they're doing it for a Big 10 opponent in a semi-large city (with not a ton of alumni), they're certainly going to do it in one of the biggest alumni cities. Not even a concern.

Now, if you want to talk post-game "after party" at the windy house....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Relax windy, of course Tulane will organize one themselves, just as they are doing at OSU. If they're doing it for a Big 10 opponent in a semi-large city (with not a ton of alumni), they're certainly going to do it in one of the biggest alumni cities. Not even a concern.

Now, if you want to talk post-game "after party" at the windy house....

Who is planning the OSU party? TAA, athletics, or the local chapter?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 am 
Coach Level

My sister-in-law in Birmingham will likely be putting together the official tailgate for UAB. She explained to me once how it all works, but I've forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 am 
Emerald Circle

Tulane Alumni Association, I believe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 am 
Emerald Circle

Yankeewave wrote:

Hopefully they do OSU properly then

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

You do know all the details are on the website which is linked in the OSU thread, right?
Heck, you can even click the "Attendees" button and see who is signed up already. I'm curious how many of the several "semi-familiar, ring-a-bell-from-somewhere" names on the list already are people who post here under screen names.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yankeewave wrote:

You do know all the details are on the website which is linked in the OSU thread, right?
Heck, you can even click the "Attendees" button and see who is signed up already. I'm curious how many of the several "semi-familiar, ring-a-bell-from-somewhere" names on the list already are people who post here under screen names.

Yes I'm aware but the the promises on flyers sometimes do not get delivered on at the tailgate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:21 am 
Emerald Circle

Went on a scouting trip over the weekend. Visitor's section is decent not great. Parking is effectively street parking only since the two lots are apparently for season ticket holders. You think people are bitching and moaning about Yulman concessions...we should bring our band... NO ALCOHOL IS SERVED ANYWHERE IN THE STADIUM (stupid remnants of the temperance movement)...public transportation is available from most anywhere people will be staying if they don't have a car.