LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Unread post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
MattK wrote:Well this thread got all out of hand for nothing.
Not necessarily. Here’s what Scott Kushner said on Twitter
I'm glad he addressed this. And his points are valid.

But not mentioning the TV spat last year, which required fans to purchase the broadcast directly from Tulane, is misleading. It's a huge factor in what prompted this change.
Hacker has left the building

Does he have a source or just making doody up out of thin air? A primary source directly stated that the illiterati killed it because we didn't roll over to their ludicrous demands.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:Don't read this if you have a weak stomach. It's particularly nauseating.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018 ... leans_news

I'm not soiling my post further with any quotes from the article.
frick that guy. Seriously. I'm surprised no one on our side is in jail for attempted murder with an attitude like that.
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

Kushner is very reliable and if you read all of what Mainieri said, he confirms this.
From Nola.com
Tulane's decision to turn down an offer from Cox to televise this past season's game in New Orleans and then produce a streaming pay-per-view telecast didn't sit well with Mainieri, as did the ticket price.

"For years and years, our fans have had issues with (Tulane) overcharging for a game," Mainieri said. "If we're playing there once every five years, that's OK. But if you're playing there annually, they are kind of gouging your fans.

"The fans can choose not to go and watch the game on TV. This year, they didn't have the option to watch to TV (without paying a fee to Tulane).

"That was disappointing to us. That had a bit of effect of re-evaluating our whole scheduling philosophy."
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Kushner and Smith are saying similar things but Mainieri blew that up with his "take your one home game every 5 or 6 years and be happy" act. It will eat up all the oxygen from here on and makes Troy Dannen look like a million.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:Kushner is very reliable and if you read all of what Mainieri said, he confirms this.
From Nola.com
Tulane's decision to turn down an offer from Cox to televise this past season's game in New Orleans and then produce a streaming pay-per-view telecast didn't sit well with Mainieri, as did the ticket price.

"For years and years, our fans have had issues with (Tulane) overcharging for a game," Mainieri said. "If we're playing there once every five years, that's OK. But if you're playing there annually, they are kind of gouging your fans.

"The fans can choose not to go and watch the game on TV. This year, they didn't have the option to watch to TV (without paying a fee to Tulane).

"That was disappointing to us. That had a bit of effect of re-evaluating our whole scheduling philosophy."
5 for 1...frick that. I'd rather kill the program than capitulate (using big words is not a personal attack)
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

long green wrote:Kushner and Smith are saying similar things but Mainieri blew that up with his "take your one home game every 5 or 6 years and be happy" act. It will eat up all the oxygen from here on and makes Troy Dannen look like a million.
Mainieri did say that the TV situation made them reevaluate
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

visualmagic wrote:
long green wrote:Kushner and Smith are saying similar things but Mainieri blew that up with his "take your one home game every 5 or 6 years and be happy" act. It will eat up all the oxygen from here on and makes Troy Dannen look like a million.
Yes. And then he said also what we have to accept to play every year and what that makes us.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
And then be treated like a serf for the privilege of a visit.
#cousins don't count
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

TD talks about the issue a good bit in FTW's podcast.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

visualmagic wrote:
He also said he’s been thinking about it for several years. If not this then they would have found another reason.
Victory is never permanent
tulane skin doc
Rookie

Unread post by tulane skin doc »

Unfortunately, I still remember when I read in the Times Picayune that the basketball series had been suspended by Dale Brown back in 80. I knew at that time, that anything was possible regarding college rivalries (which I naively thought were sacred at the time). It looks like now, some 38 years later, all 3 sports are now dead as far the LSU rivalry. It is unfortunate, and I know we cannot cater to LSU on every issue. Frankly, if you told me back in 1975, that Texas would not be playing Texas A&M, that Penn sate would not be playing Pitt, and that Oklahoma would not be playing Nebraska, I would have said you are crazy. Also of course, leaving the SEC was the big mistake. Do think Tennessee would still play Vanderbilt on a home and home basis if Vandy had left the SEC back in the 1960s like us?

We just have no leverage in these types of situations, but it is still sad because we really do not have other rivals. Much of this obviously can be blamed on Tulane, but at this point the best course is simply to trust our leadership and move forward with LSU in our rearview mirror.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

MattK wrote:Well this thread got all out of hand for nothing.
Matt and I during the fourteen pages of this thread:
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote:
Hearing him say that makes me even happier we didn’t show it. Let’s see how well those Northwestern State games draw. What a cry baby.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

OGSB wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
He also said he’s been thinking about it for several years. If not this then they would have found another reason.
I’ve been saying that all along. They jumped at the chance to use that as an excuse.

I’m sure there were conversations like this:
PM: (in a hardly bearable lisp) Joe, I think its time we stop playing Tulane
JA: sure. Do I say we are tired of losing to them, even in their worst years?
PM: No. That makes me sound dumber than I already do.
JA: Lets wait. Maybe Tulane will do some insignificant thing that we can jump on and use to blame them for killing the series.
PM: Perfect
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

waverider wrote:
OGSB wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
I’ve been saying that all along. They jumped at the chance to use that as an excuse.

I’m sure there were conversations like this:
PM: (in a hardly bearable lisp) Joe, I think its time we stop playing Tulane
JA: sure. Do I say we are tired of losing to them, even in their worst years?
PM: No. That makes me sound dumber than I already do.
JA: Lets wait. Maybe Tulane will do some insignificant thing that we can jump on and use to blame them for killing the series.
PM: Perfect
"You can't jack up prices for better games. Only we can do that."
windywave
Emerald Circle

I would not be surprised if there is a home and home in place by the 2022 season
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

I don’t exactly trust Guery Smith’s word as the gospel but he says
For what it's worth, Mainieri offered up complete fiction. The cause of end of series was #Tulane not putting LSU game at Turchin on Cox, charging for live streaming and LSU's overreaction to that choice.
I do trust Kushner much, much more and he seems to agree with that.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

My good friend Dennis Fremin past last week (as I posted) and it has been difficult. He was such a great friend and Green Wave fan. I know his feelings exactly today after reading Maneiri’s horse crap - screw LSU. I couldn’t agree more. We have certainly done so much harm to ourselves over the past 50 years in athletics, but I have always viewed baseball differently. If we could have landed some regionals in the years of going to the Box every year when the field was 48 teams, who knows, we may have had a couple of championship billboards. Those were some pretty damn good teams Coach Jones took up the river, but they were a dynasty at home and in Omaha. We were one of the teams that could really compete with them. After reading Pauley’s explanation, it is such a slap in the face. You play us home and home every year because we are Tulane baseball. This has nothing to do with the other teams in the state. I don’t like the price gouging, no TV, online streaming, and the product we have on the field right now, but I’ll be damn if I play them ever again. It is time for us to go in a different direction. There are numerous SEC teams that will do a home and home weekend series with us because we are Tulane. Forget the west coast, and schedule regionally. And make Tulane baseball what it was the past 30 years, a force to be reckon with! Dennis, this one is for you my friend.
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:I don’t exactly trust Guery Smith’s word as the gospel but he says
For what it's worth, Mainieri offered up complete fiction. The cause of end of series was #Tulane not putting LSU game at Turchin on Cox, charging for live streaming and LSU's overreaction to that choice.
I do trust Kushner much, much more and he seems to agree with that.
Take a step back and think for a minute. They killed a series because we managed our own media rights and then lied about it putting themselves in a bad light? Yeah that sounds reasonable.
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

They don’t gain much from playing this series, so it’s not crazy to think that they’d end it over a small inconvenience for their fans.
windywave
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:They don’t gain much from playing this series, so it’s not crazy to think that they’d end it over a small inconvenience for their fans.
And then lie about the root cause?
#cousins don't count
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote:They don’t gain much from playing this series, so it’s not crazy to think that they’d end it over a small inconvenience for their fans.
That's called an excuse
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

The answer is simple. Play Texas, Ole Miss, Bama, MSU, Auburn or Tx A&M every year.
visualmagic
President's Circle

windywave wrote:
And then lie about the root cause?
While you think the lie puts them in a bad light, he probably doesn’t see it that way. Him saying that it was a decision to treat Tulane the way they treat everyone else likely sounds reasonable to most people and less petty than what Guery says is the actual truth.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Listened to FTW's pod. Great responses by TD. Exactly how I was thinking about it.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone