LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Re: LSU Baseball Series in Jeopardy

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Tulane will not cede control of our media rights at home*
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it
* TD surprised at pushback from Wave fans about playing lsu on Airline Drive
I was blown away by how open TD was in the interview.

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
Whoever thought of the idea to call "playing video games" "e-sports" was brilliant. Not really sports, but then ESPN shows darts, cards and spelling bees so...
I crossed that Rubicon just recently and I’m 62. I feel much better calling things competition. That way I can justify fat guys who are good at golf and not snicker at dart players getting pinched nerves. Pretty soon we will see regional cup stacking playoffs and Girl Scout cookie selling Final Fours (can you imagine trying to regulate that?)!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Poseidon wrote:Seriously, everyone who hasn't yet, needs to go listen to FTW's podcast before carrying this conversation further. He clarifies many points that are entertained on this thread.
In 30 minutes, I learned more about what's going on (more than just baseball), than I probably did during RD's entire tenure.
Off the top of my head:
* Almost lost the Home and Home last year, but TJ relationship with PM saved it for another year
* Escalated quickly. Board members and legislators involved in discussions that ultimately failed
* Can't say it in official capacity, but 5 out of 6 probably had something to do with it

The one thing that stood out to me the most was his interest in starting an esports team.

Now, I don't get the draw of esports, but there is no denying its growing popularity, especially among the younger crowds (I'm 30 and still too old to really get it). It says a lot of TD about how forward thinking TD and staff are compared to the previous administration.
Whoever thought of the idea to call "playing video games" "e-sports" was brilliant. Not really sports, but then ESPN shows darts, cards and spelling bees so...
I crossed that Rubicon just recently and I’m 62. I feel much better calling things competition. That way I can justify fat guys who are good at golf and not snicker at dart players getting pinched nerves. Pretty soon we will see regional cup stacking playoffs and Girl Scout cookie selling Final Fours (can you imagine trying to regulate that?)!
Just keep the Russian girl scouts and their roided up asses away
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
Yes is helps with money, but not as much as you think. The price and amount isn't like selling football tickets its less than a 6 figure difference.
- The recruiting point is overstated. Again they will still be playing LSU
How much is the difference?
The LSU ticket prices are $35. Tickets on normal midweek games are $5-$10. Most midweek games might get 2K announced attendance , where the LSU game gets 4500-5000.

Again, it’s unclear if they will still be playing LSU outside of the 2020 Wally Pontiff Classic. From what I’ve read that’s not necessarily going to be a yearly thing.
By not giving in
Agreeing to play against LSU at Zephyr field when they are refusing to play at our park is the exact opposite of standing up to Alleva. He has also stated openly about wanting to play LSU, but not as a payday game.
Not giving in to what?
I’m not sure I follow the rest of what you’re it looks like you were maybe trying to quote me and pasted it in the wrong spot, so I’m having trouble finding what you mean.
The math ain't working in your favor... at worst it's 200K and probably lower aka rounding error
The math is in his favor. Someone in this thread said we were talking less than 6 figures. Turns out we are talking 6 figures. It's insane to suggest our baseball program couldn't use that $200,000.

FWIW Dannen mentions in FTW podcast that LSU nets $80,000 from a midweek game. (They have what 8000+ season ticket holders?)

I can't see a sellout in a 4500 seat stadium even at higher ticket prices being much different. However for argument's sake, let's say Tulane nets $100,000 from LSU game. (Sorry for economics lesson but there is a big difference between gross and net.) Noticeable amount but if Dannen could get one donor to fully endow the sailing program, I'm sure he can find a donor to write a check to cover that lost net of LSU home baseball game. Losing LSU is not about the money, it's about the fan experience. I will miss them.
They only get 2-3.000 actual for those games sometimes less based on some of the week teams they bring in. We get 4.500 or more.
We deserve so much better
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

wait, have a bunch of guys sitting around playing "Call of Duty" and call that a sport worthy of NCAA sanction???!!!?! :shock:

would make bowling look Olympian by comparison.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

gerryb323 wrote:
TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Off the top of my head:

Just keep the Russian girl scouts and their roided up asses away
Hilarious.

I loved it when my previous company banned the sale of stuff at work because it had gotten ridiculous—somebody’s kid was always selling something and the pressure was not too subtle to chip in.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

TUPF wrote:
I loved it when my previous company banned the sale of stuff at work because it had gotten ridiculous—somebody’s kid was always selling something and the pressure was not too subtle to chip in.
My policy has always been the kid has to do the begging directly to me in person. Sometimes that means making an after school appointment at my office. The kid while making the direct ask has to explain what, why and how much. I almost always oversubscribe.

A few parents hate it but most actively support this process once they understand it for obvious reasons.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

So TD did the right thing. good. i like him
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

TD is so right for Tulane. After listening to FTW interview, his hire is critical to Tulane's athletics future. He absolutely did the right thing with the lsu baseball series. Oh and talk to Ralph Brennan when discussing Men's Golf coming back. Who knows ….
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Yankeewave wrote:So TD did the right thing. good. i like him
I just whistle as I walk on by
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
That is what I have been forcing myself to do after hearing the podcast.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
That is what I have been forcing myself to do after hearing the podcast.
It's been hard to not gloat and say I told you so
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

I finally got to hear ftw's Dannen interview. I highly encourage anyone that hasn't done so to take the time to hear it. Great stuff. Dannen gave the clearest explanation of the LSU-TU series termination I've heard/read yet. Presented LSU's position as well as ours pretty clearly. Something he had to deal with as well when he was at N. Iowa and had to deal with the egos/agendas at Iowa State and Iowa.

personally, I don't see a home and home series returning in my lifetime but maybe I'm wrong. Bottom line, if you have any hope of continuing any traditional rivalry, you better both be in the same conference.
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

the question is do we still play them in the wally pontif classic. Or do we tell them no like rick jones did, unless they split the proceeds and change the name to Wally P/ Milt Retif Classic.

I'm voting no, i'm not going to metarie at there event with LSUs foundation on the name plate.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

RollWaveRoll wrote:the question is do we still play them in the wally pontif classic. Or do we tell them no like rick jones did, unless they split the proceeds and change the name to Wally P/ Milt Retif Classic.

I'm voting no, i'm not going to metarie at there event with LSUs foundation on the name plate.
I vote no
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:the question is do we still play them in the wally pontif classic. Or do we tell them no like rick jones did, unless they split the proceeds and change the name to Wally P/ Milt Retif Classic.

I vote no
I would still like more info. Though I lean toward selfishly wanting it played just so Tulane has to opportunity to beat LSU on the field in something. However if this isn't negotiated as a meeting between peers, then to hell with it.

-What is our portion of the gate payout? If we aren't getting a gate payout then what are we getting and why can't we add our charity to the bill?

- Is our portion of the gate payout more than we would make on a normal midweek game at home?

- Is the media share split? This is a neutral site game and it should be split.

- Who is selling the tickets? Baby Cakes, LSU, Tulane?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no
I would still like more info. Though I lean toward selfishly wanting it played just so Tulane has to opportunity to beat LSU on the field in something. However if this isn't negotiated as a meeting between peers, then to hell with it.

-What is our portion of the gate payout? If we aren't getting a gate payout then what are we getting and why can't we add our charity to the bill?

- Is our portion of the gate payout more than we would make on a normal midweek game at home?

It's a charity game and therefore I expect all proceeds would go to charity aka no gate. You really think they would add our charity? Maybe once every 6 years
#cousins don't count
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

It's a charity game and therefore I expect all proceeds would go to charity aka no gate. You really think they would add our charity? Maybe once every 6 years
You give LSU too much credit. :-) I am working with the 'portion of the proceeds go to' charity model which is the most common. It would be nice to know.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

You give LSU too much credit. :-) I am working with the 'portion of the proceeds go to' charity model which is the most common. It would be nice to know.
That would be pathetic.
#cousins don't count
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

in the interview Dannen mentioned he was surprised at the pushback he was getting for agreeing to play this game*. He was presented with 3 options and clearly the first two were DOA and only put on the table to puff LSU's ego some more.

I think I would play the first one and then see how I feel afterwards. If I feel like I need to go take a bath afterwards to clean the LSU stink off.........I would pass on the rest.

*that just shows me that Dannen hasn't been around here long enough to fully comprehend what colossal fragile egos the corndogs have.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

Yup, I’m thinking that old “10% of net profits donated to charity” saw, and you know there are always more expenses than profits.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

Yup, I’m thinking that old “10% of net profits donated to charity” saw, and you know there are always more expenses than profits.
The Wallace V Pontiff Jr Foundation lists gross receipts of $169,060 and total expenses of $8,379 for the 2016 game (most recent filing available) for net receipts of $160,681.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

No, but there's no reason for a non-LSU team to play in this game for free. Guarantee may be covered by sponsorships or whatever, and not an actual split of the gate, but there's no practical difference.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

ml wave wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

No, but there's no reason for a non-LSU team to play in this game for free. Guarantee may be covered by sponsorships or whatever, and not an actual split of the gate, but there's no practical difference.
Sure there is.... Good PR... Chance to play in NOLA... keep the dark overlords happy
#cousins don't count
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

visualmagic wrote:
Fan Since '54 wrote:Okay if LSU continues to rebuff us on restarting the football series, then we should insist that they repay us for the (virtual) 3-for-1 we gave them after the series began again after Katrina and they ended up with the 3-1 when they requested a change for the 4th game and NEVER repaid us with either games (2) or dollars for those 2 games. This BS has been going on since after the 3rd game at their place in 2009. Pushing 10 years now. They ABSOLUTELY owe us two games or dollars for those games. and if they don't agree to pay us with those games or those dollars, then take them to court for breach of contract.

Fan since '54
Pretty sure they did pay us in dollars
American? Canadian? Australian? New Zealand? Jamaican?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
windywave wrote:

I vote no

The Wallace V Pontiff Jr Foundation lists gross receipts of $169,060 and total expenses of $8,379 for the 2016 game (most recent filing available) for net receipts of $160,681.
Another reason not to go watch. Fatten Wally Sr’s pockets.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson