Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Seat License
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:20 pm 
President's Circle

I’d suggest talking to someone in the Green Wave Club. Especially the top one or two guys. They’re very accesible and happy to talk to anyone. Give Garrett or Tyler a call. The Green Wave Club sets the donation levels. They most certainly know the particulars and it will be announced during the upcoming football season.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
No way Dannen is this dumb, right?

It would seem not

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
I talked to someone in the athletic department today and they said they are still figuring it out. It definitely won’t start till next year. Remember that after this season the Glazer Club commitments come off the books. So they will be looking to raise funds. This will be interesting when they finalize it and let us know how it will affect us.
My guess is that they are hoping to roll it out the year after a bowl season so it won’t be as hard to sell. If we can throw in an NIT or regional berth fans would feel proud to have to pay to keep their seats.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 pm 
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
I talked to someone in the athletic department today and they said they are still figuring it out. It definitely won’t start till next year. Remember that after this season the Glazer Club commitments come off the books. So they will be looking to raise funds. This will be interesting when they finalize it and let us know how it will affect us.

And if it affects us too much in our wallets, then it will, in turn, effect them. :roll:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:34 pm 
Regent's Circle

No seat licenses. A saner way to sell tickets to individual sports. Most will be happy.

And due to the new tax laws, no donation money on tickets is allowed. The Olive & Blue is 100% deductible...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:08 pm 
Regent's Circle

JtS wrote:
No seat licenses. A saner way to sell tickets to individual sports. Most will be happy.

And due to the new tax laws, no donation money on tickets is allowed. The Olive & Blue is 100% deductible...

But increased standard deductions and limits on SALT deductions will greatly reduce the numbers who itemize.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 am 
Coach Level

The word is given:

https://www.greenwaveclub.com/per-seat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am 
Emerald Circle

Question: For those of you Who took the deal to move from the west side of the stadium to Westfeldt this year for the same donation label.... Was that ever articulated to you as a one year special offer to “ expose you” to Westfeldt? It certainly was never articulated that way to me or my wife in multiple phone conversations and a guided tour to pick out the seats..... although that is what the ticket office claimed this morning. I didn’t imagine that we would be “locked in” at that price forever, but I’m quite shocked That only a year after being moved I donation level would increase almost 20 times the rate that only a year after being moved I donation level would increase almost 20 times the rate (literally). I’m just curious if anybody else who made the move last summer, was told what they now say was always the plan

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 am 
President's Circle

yes ...I was well aware the move involved a one-year break ONLY. It was made clear to my family. Looking at the pricing structure for 2019 it seems very fair to me. In Westfeldt, for instance if you sit in the last two sections on either end...the cost will be for 4 tickets ($100 donation per seat for $400 plus the $700 cost of tickets, $1100). There are many other sections including on the press box side where no donation is required in order to buy tickets. In section 204 (where I now sit, the per seat donation is $250 so it would cost a total of $1700 to stay in those seats. Where I sit for baseball and basketball there is no donation required.
https://www.greenwaveclub.com/per-seat-home

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am 
Emerald Circle

randymc wrote:
yes ...I was well aware the move involved a one-year break ONLY. It was made clear to my family.

I'm glad. While that was not my experience, and doesn't change how I feel about my personal experience, it does make me very, very glad to hear this was not an intentional, concentrated bait and switch attempt.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:19 am 
Regent's Circle

The amounts asked look fair. Meanwhile as noted above, there are numerous sections where no donation is required. All three of these venues put you on top of the action and have phenomenal views from lots of seating areas including many which require no seat license fee.

You don't have to be Marlins Man to afford to attend Tulane games if you wish to go. Basically (as they should have) they have made solid seats available for every financial situation from the one percenters to the working stiff with a family or retiree on fixed income.

I suspect some of the complaining going on (not really here but elsewhere) probably reflects certain folks who just don't want to attend Tulane games unless they are given Marlins Man tickets. Yes I get Glazer seats are very comfortable and very well located. I'd like them too for (almost) free!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:26 am 
Emerald Circle

As a point of comparison my wife and I are season subscribers to the Philadelphia Orchestra, six concerts a season. We have very good seats which for the Kimmel Center is kind of like the Westfeldt 200 level in Yulman between the 40s. We pay about $800 all in for two tickets. We highly enjoy it and make an evening of it. Very comparable to 4 tickets for $1700 for 6 home games. My only advantage is I get to choose six concerts from among many more whereas six home Yulman games is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

I don't disagree with anything being said, and I am less hot now that I'm hearing the move to Westfeldt was better articulated to a lot of people than it was us. Though the articulation needed to be consistent across the board. My wife is really super hot. And this might lead us to give up season tickets and following TU football. At very least I'm going to have some convincing to do (I think her mind is fairly set). But that's not a commentary on the prices, per se, so much as how she feels things were handled and a long history of how things have been handled. And that's a private decision, and hardly a tragedy in the grand scheme however that discussion/debate turns out. it is tough to realize that the end of something that's been so central to our lives may be near. I'm not angry, just sad.

Also, aside from how it was handled, and aside from comparing these to other teams prices, its worth saying. If we were to keep our current seats, our donation level would go up 13.3 times over what we are currently paying. Even if we move back to our old, away side of hte stadium seats, this would quadruple our annual giving. I realize that for some sections, the new plan actually drops prices. But from my personal perspective, that is a pretty big one year jump

Last edited by WaveProf on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm 
Coach Level

My only issue is the per seat pricing hurts the 6.3 % of fans who have season tickets in all 3 major sports in premium sections. Currently you can buy 2 or 4 seats in the best premium sections for a $1,500 donation (coaches corner level). Under the new plan, 2 season tickets in the 3 major sports in those sections would require a seat donation of $2,200 before you pay for the actual tickets, 4 season tickets would be double or $4,400 for your seat donation.

Its even worse for me personally as I have 16 football season tickets, 4 in baseball and 4 in men's basketball. I usually use 4 to 6 football tickets a game and then give the others away to clients, friends, or just people I know who can't afford to bring their kids to the games. I know I'm the exception to the rule but the new pricing structure will definitely force me to reduce my number of season tickets, not buy season tickets in some sports and/or move tickets to sections with no annual donation.

Just food for thought.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:37 pm 
Coach Level

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
My only issue is the per seat pricing hurts the 6.3 % of fans who have season tickets in all 3 major sports in premium sections. Currently you can buy 2 or 4 seats in the best premium sections for a $1,500 donation (coaches corner level). Under the new plan, 2 season tickets in the 3 major sports in those sections would require a seat donation of $2,200 before you pay for the actual tickets, 4 season tickets would be double or $4,400 for your seat donation.

Its even worse for me personally as I have 16 football season tickets, 4 in baseball and 4 in men's basketball. I usually use 4 to 6 football tickets a game and then give the others away to clients, friends, or just people I know who can't afford to bring their kids to the games. I know I'm the exception to the rule but the new pricing structure will definitely force me to reduce my number of season tickets, not buy season tickets in some sports and/or move tickets to sections with no annual donation.

Just food for thought.

My first thoughts was, ok who is the idiot who messed it up for everyone else aka people were buying together to pay only one fee. If I were you I would suggest a sliding scale after say 4 tickets where the donation goes down a certain amount for each ticket beyond that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:21 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Just food for thought.

My first thoughts was, ok who is the idiot who messed it up for everyone else aka people were buying together to pay only one fee. If I were you I would suggest a sliding scale after say 4 tickets where the donation goes down a certain amount for each ticket beyond that.

I know in basketball there were groups buying tickets because of the rediculous donation policy that was in place. Same thing happened in Yulman once they got seats in Westfeldt. Looks like this system makes it fair for those that don’t max out their allotment under the required donation level by reducing the donation required.

Might be best* to do like visiting fans and just get 50yd line seats without a donation attached.

*would have to see the price difference for season tickets vs individual game tickets

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Will this also cut back on fans with extra tickets that they resell each game?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 pm 
Regent's Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Just food for thought.

This seems like something they can work with you on...and if not, there are plenty of non-donation seats available for those you buy to give away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:59 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
As a point of comparison my wife and I are season subscribers to the Philadelphia Orchestra, six concerts a season. We have very good seats which for the Kimmel Center is kind of like the Westfeldt 200 level in Yulman between the 40s. We pay about $800 all in for two tickets. We highly enjoy it and make an evening of it. Very comparable to 4 tickets for $1700 for 6 home games. My only advantage is I get to choose six concerts from among many more whereas six home Yulman games is what it is.

When making this comparison, one should also consider the size of the venue (supply) as well as the relative amount of empty seats (demand).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

Agree with Law Greenie. TU has offered volume discounts in the past for those supporting multiple sports.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:05 pm 
Coach Level

ml wave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Just food for thought.

This seems like something they can work with you on...and if not, there are plenty of non-donation seats available for those you buy to give away.

Fair enough, but its just frustrating when you've done everything Tulane has ever asked over multiple administrations from making a commitment of $10,000 for Westfelt tickets when the stadium opened to buying extra tickets b/c they always encourage you to "bring a friend" to the game to only get priced out of your current season tickets. While I understand that most people don't have tickets to all the major sports, the few of us who do are the ones getting impacted the most. While the per seat pricing structure may encourage people to upgrade tickets for a single sport, it discourages people from having premium tickets in all the major sports. I'm meeting with Tulane on Thursday so I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

One additional point: Tulane's donation policy for years has been that "every boat floats on its own bottom" from a contribution standpoint. Med donations gets you med benefits, Athletics gets you seat preferences, etc. Common policy across many American Universities but by definition it sometimes does not encourage intra-University teamwork.

LSU to encourage donations to its academic and research sides (which have been anemic by any measure with a notable exception or two like Pennington) now will give you Tiger Athletic Foundation credits/benefits for some giving to non-Athletics.

I'm not advocating Tulane adopt this LSU holistic approach. Just noting others nearby are doing it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

LawG, Thanks for the update. You are not the only person who buys premium tickets in all major sports (and some minor ones too.) Every business in the world gives volume discounts because at end of day, revenue increases. Let's encourage Tulane to do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Just food for thought.

Come on man, complaining because you can't buy 16 tickets for one donation?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:19 pm 
Emerald Circle

LSU Law Greenie wrote:
ml wave wrote:
LSU Law Greenie wrote:

Just food for thought.

Fair enough, but its just frustrating when you've done everything Tulane has ever asked over multiple administrations from making a commitment of $10,000 for Westfelt tickets when the stadium opened to buying extra tickets b/c they always encourage you to "bring a friend" to the game to only get priced out of your current season tickets. While I understand that most people don't have tickets to all the major sports, the few of us who do are the ones getting impacted the most. While the per seat pricing structure may encourage people to upgrade tickets for a single sport, it discourages people from having premium tickets in all the major sports. I'm meeting with Tulane on Thursday so I'll keep you posted.

Tell them that and see if they give you a discount

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next