How long to keep coaches

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Re: How long to keep coaches

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Poseidon wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
ml wave wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
ml wave wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:With scholarship limits, roster churning, grad transfers, etc., it's much easier to execute a turnaround now than it was 30 or 40 years ago to the point that those comparisons are virtually meaningless.
For someone who claims to be first to market with statistical support, I don't see any data points here. Without them it's just an opinion which is cool but that's all it is. I don't know the answer here. Please educate us as with objective proof to why you're right and the other folk(s) aren't.
Lol, where's the "objective proof" that I claim to be first to market with statistical support?

Anyway, you want data points to things which are common knowledge enough to the point that anyone even approaching a functioning understanding of sports wouldn't need data points? Whoops, guess I just answered my own question there.

NCAA FB scholarship limits:
pre-1973: unlimited
1973-77: 105
1978-91: 95
1992-present: 85
Grad transfer rule: 2011
Couldn't that also mean way more parity than ever before, thus talent spread out more evenly, which can make turnarounds harder in some cases?
More parity means turnarounds are easier, see the NFL.
So every year in the NFL there are several new teams in the playoffs? Don't think so.

If kids can go play at Nicholls State & get same exposure as at Tulane.....you don't think they will take the easier route via school work? Or say as a walk-on... what tuition do you think they will choose?
Every year since the NFL went to a 12 team playoff there have been at least 4 teams in the playoffs that missed the playoffs in the previous season

I am not talking about the one year wonders. Why are there basically always the same teams getting to conference championships & Super Bowls? Shouldn't all that parity in the NFL allow teams like the Browns & Bengals get to a Super Bowl? Plus that playoff sample size is basically half the league & not NCAA where parity can hurt teams. Also what about my second part of statement? I am just pointing out the PARITY does not mean easier turnarounds. It can often make it harder since a lot of teams will just be mediocre.
3 of the 4 teams in the conference championship games last year were not in the playoffs the year before. Eagles, Vikings and Jaguars.
Parity isn't going to matter much for you if you're a terribly run organization like the Browns.
Teams like the Steelers and Patriots are always in the playoffs because they are well run organizations with great Quarterbacks.

As for the Nicholls state part of your statement, if Tulane cant out recruit a kid against Nicholls, then we should just drop the program. If we're relying on walk-ons to turn the program around, we're screwed anyway.
VM is correct, while the patriots do win the AFC East every year, parity is the rule in the other divisions.
Lets look at it..

NFC west: 4 different winners in 6 years.
NFC South: 3 different winners in 3 years.
NFC North: 2 different winners in 2 years.
NFC East: 3 different winners in 3 years.
AFC East: Pats have won 9 straight.
AFC North: 2 different winners in 3 years.
AFC South: 3 different winners in 4 years.
AFC West: 2 different winners in 3 years.

Parity is clearly the rule. The Pats are the clear exception. If you want to go further back your welcome. http://packers.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_N ... on_winners

I'll just leave these little links below since parity only helps turnarounds......

https://www.foxsports.com/college-footb ... 937-110712
https://www.foxsports.com/college-footb ... 281-120110
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/ ... accs-image
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Bacon you alone used "only".
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

Poseidon wrote:Bacon you alone used "only".
I see nobody saying that parity could also hurt.......
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

As long as you can admit that you were wrong about the NFL
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

BACONWAVE wrote:
Your definitely right. The door swings just as freely in the opposite direction.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Poseidon wrote:
BACONWAVE wrote:
Your definitely right. The door swings just as freely in the opposite direction.
No doubt, it's a zero-sum game.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Re: your links, funny how the parity in the ACC has coincided with the turnarounds of traditionally moribund programs like Duke and Wake, huh?