Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Memories of '98
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:54 am 
Breaker Level

I was 13 and starting my freshman year in high school. My father passed away, right before the season started. (20 years tomorrow actually). It was a really rough time for my family, obviously. We have all been huge Tulane fans our whole lives and went to most of the football games and tried to make as many baseball and basketball games growing up. I was starting my second year at Rummel which meant i was one of maybe 3 Tulane fans at the school. My damn fight song is the same as lsu's :roll: ! Needless to say, we went to every home game and i followed that team as close as possible then. I could only imagine how much more in today's world with the internet how it is. I have so many great memories from that season that just brought so much happiness to myself and my mom, brother and sister. We went up for the Liberty Bowl and had a blast with the Greenbackers during the game.
I will never forget as we were leaving the next day to head home, my brother brought some fireworks and lit them in the grass outside the hotel. The grass lit on fire and we ripped off our jackets and started hitting the grass trying to get the fire out. It had to cover about 20 yards by the time it went out. The entire ride home all we could smell is the burn smell off our jackets from the fire!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:32 am 
Breaker Level

Wow you guys, I am loving reading about your memories of the 1998 season. I guess as a player our experiences are different, but to know how much that meant to so many fans, makes it even better. If I can get some time, I'll try and give you all a game by game breakdown of the experience from a players point of view. What I can still remember of course, I'm almost 40...getting up there!

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 am 
Emerald Circle

charlamange8 wrote:
Wow you guys, I am loving reading about your memories of the 1998 season. I guess as a player our experiences are different, but to know how much that meant to so many fans, makes it even better. If I can get some time, I'll try and give you all a game by game breakdown of the experience from a players point of view. What I can still remember of course, I'm almost 40...getting up there!

We’d love that, mange!

Of course you’ll remember 40 years ago. Once the hard drive fills up, it’s what you had for breakfast that drops out of the queue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:44 pm 
Regent's Circle

OGSB wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
That Louisiana Tech crowd is probably the strongest memory for me, even over the Liberty Bowl. Having a crowd like that at home was so amazing.

"Stay Tommy stay"

That crowd was strong for me also, especially when I got up to the 2nd deck and saw all those folks buying tickets to the game. A lot of the reason for all those walkups was that they realized that history could be made that night (undefeated) and they wanted to be part of that. Nothing wrong with that. And if the "Stay Tommy Stay" part of that, or maybe if RichRod would have been hired, who knows if what happened that night could have had long term effect. Just spitballing here, but maybe we could have been in a P-5 right now (with all or a lot of those walkups now being season ticket holders), with the money from that rolling in and all of our sports top notch. Oh well, one can dream can't one? :roll:

They say you can't live in the past, but isn't that what we are doing in this thread. So smile and be happy for that magical season we know as "The Perfect Wave".

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:15 pm 
Breaker Level

I went to 3 games in '98:

USM which was right after Shaun King had broken his wrist and the team didn't miss a beat
Rutgers where we were all so enthusiastic as we scored at will until we scored so much that we kind of got tired of cheering
Liberty Bowl where, by the second half, we had to go to the BYU side to get beer since we had depleted our side of the stadium (and they weren't going to be drinking much).

I also remember that Lee Cosro every week on GameDay started talking about how Tulane was going to go undefeated. I wish that all of those that weren't Tulane fans yet at that time could experience what it was like - probably still keeps me going today to know what is actually possible. The Fear the Wave podcast is great - hope that everyone listens.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:57 pm 
Coach Level

I missed the Navy game, the first home game of the 98 season, due to the hurricane worries, but I remember going in the next week for the S Miss game. The Times Pic and other sports talking heads said that USM was our first real test, and if we could beat them, we were a very good team. What a huge game, and walking away with a "W" was something special, and that was only 4 games in to the season.

The Louisville game was the most nerve-wracking. I remember going nuts when we sealed that win. I hugged everybody around me and everyone was feeling it. For some reason, it seems like that game was later in the season because it meant so much at the time to preserve the chance at a perfect season, but we were only 5 games in to the season. It was big though, and tougher than USM which was supposed to be our real test. We cruised after that. No game was ever in doubt, even the Liberty Bowl, though BYU jumped to a lead. I just felt like we couldn't lose. The team would somehow pull it out no matter what. Of course, when your team does win every game, it's easy to get that feeling.

I remember staying in New Orleans during the holidays, the week before the Liberty Bowl, and if memory serves, that when Bowden and King were pictured on the front page of the USA Today sports section. We had hit the big time. I remember sitting, drinking coffee on a balcony, reading everything I could about Tulane, and proud as heck of my team. Everybody in the City was happy to see them do well and I saw more Tulane gear around than any other time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:51 pm 
Cornerstone

washwave wrote:
...by the second half, we had to go to the BYU side to get beer since we had depleted our side of the stadium (and they weren't going to be drinking much). ...

:-D
We went to their side from the get-go, knowing the lines would be shorter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:16 pm 
Regent's Circle

When I started this thread I was hoping it would be a hit. But it has been even more than I had expected. So great to hear so many good experiences. Life is soooooooooo much more fun when you are winning, especaily when you are not used to it. Keep those stories coming. :-D

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:52 pm 
President's Circle

Went to all the home games, but because my wife was pregnant with my son, left the Navy game in the 3rd Q due to her nagging of wanting to evacuate. Think it was the Louisville game that we were crowned Conference champions after the game. Felt like a surreal moment. Also was loving the La Tech game. Had so many people wanting to go to that game. I had season tickets, but felt bad for them having to wait in line, so I missed kickoff. But the crowd was loud. Can still hear the chants of " Stay Tommy stay"! Unfortunately I couldn't make the Liberty Bowl , as my son was born Dec 26 early in the morning. Still married, so I must have done something right. :angel: Of course, I thought we were on the right track for a few more confernce championships, so I didnt think it would be a big deal. Man was I wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavemania wrote:
Think it was the Louisville game that we were crowned Conference champions after the game.

We clinched against Houston. I was not there, but I've been told the story about how a friend of mine, who may or may not have been chemically encouraged, decided to try to take the goalposts. Alone. The game ended, he sprinted down the stairs, leapt over the gate, ran down the steps near the cheerleaders, and sprinted across the Dome turf before any security guard could even believe it was happening. He leapt for the crossbar and came up way short, and then proceeded to try to scale the support post. Dome security dragged him away while my dumbfounded friends all laughed and shook their heads.

When they got back to their car, he was already there, waiting for them. Gotta love the forgiving NOPD... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:47 am 
Coach Level

I remember calling from a hospital in London to check on the Army score on a Saturday night while waiting for my son to be born.

Interestingly, he was bowl in a year Tulane won a bowl game and the previous bowl game victory was 28 years earlier, the year I was born.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am 
Riptide Level

Very cool thread. This was just before my time at Tech and well before I came to Tulane so I wasn't familiar with what was going on at the time. It's cool to hear the stories and get some more perspective on a season I have heard so much about.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am 
Emerald Circle

Going to Memphis twice that year was fun, especially the second time. One of my favorite memories that year was riding to the Dome for the Navy game in the lone car on I-10 East while I-10 West was bumper to bumper with evacuation traffic. That La Tech game was fun seeing how many people showed up, especially on Thanksgiving. That was when I realized that there were a lot of Tulane fans out there just waiting for a reason to return to games.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:18 am 
Coach Level

waverider wrote:
Going to Memphis twice that year was fun, especially the second time. One of my favorite memories that year was riding to the Dome for the Navy game in the lone car on I-10 East while I-10 West was bumper to bumper with evacuation traffic. That La Tech game was fun seeing how many people showed up, especially on Thanksgiving. That was when I realized that there were a lot of Tulane fans out there just waiting for a reason to return to games.

I remember the same thing. Yes, and the Thanksgiving Game was the best attended game in the last 30 years that wasn't boosted by the away team. It showed what winning could do. there was 30-40 k pulling for Tulane there for sure. Speaking of which, I was fortunate enough to come by a game-ball from that game. Probably my best Tulane football memorabilia.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:34 pm 
Regent's Circle

One other memory for the '98 Homecoming weekend was after the Tulane win over Louisville my son and I made our way back to the Hilton and planted ourselves in the Sports Bar upstairs. We watched with glee Kentucky beat lsu in BR. It was just a perfect evening including the Alligator Satay while watching the tiggers try to win just their forth game of the season. You know in '98 they only won 4 games. Tulane would have destroyed lsu had they played.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:03 am 
Breaker Level

So...yeah...1998 really started at the end of 1997, when we didn't get into a bowl game. That really sucked, we were still working out after the Houston game and hoping but it didn't happen. But I do think that had we went to a bowl after 1997 maybe we wouldn't have been quite as hungry...who knows. What I do know is we were killing ourselves running and lifting the whole summer. Then came the conditioning test from hell, won't go into the details, but once we got through that we could get through anything. The day before we left for the Nicaraguan prison camp known as St. Paul's in Covington; me and Kerwin Cook went to Dennis' Barber shop on Feret St for a fresh cut, and I remember Dennis asked how did we think we were going to do that year. I told him, "you know, there isn't anyone on our schedule we shouldn't beat".

Covington is just hard, 9 days of two-a-days with a scrimmage at the end...you just had to take it one practice at a time. We would be woken up at 6 am by Coach Hopkins the Defensive End coach, he would stick an air horn in your room and blow it "WHAAAAAAAARRRRRR" and he's all happy and sh*t, and youre like dude I hate you. You would go to the cafe, and try to figure out what you could eat that you wouldn't throw up at practice..Then a 6:30am position meeting where you were trying not to fall asleep, get taped and dressed and weigh in to be on the field at 7:30 (we had to weigh in before and after every practice, and if you lost more than 4 lbs you couldn't practice in the next practice, Big Sherm lost 10 lbs in one practice!)...and it was already like 85 with 100% humidity. Usually the morning practice was like 18-5 minute periods, but Coach Bowden was notorious for telling Shae, the manager in charge of the horn, "Dont blow the horn yet Shae, 3 more plays". We did get popsicles during water breaks and icy towels from the trainers though, it wasn't awful, as that practice was mostly fundamentals and technique with some individual challenges like board drills and pass rushing thrown in.. After the 1st practice ended at around 10 we would jump in the tubs of ice water and then we would eat lunch and go take a nap (we were like kindergartners man, nap time was serious), but if you did not make your time during the conditioning test, you had to RUN at 12 noon with Coach Iosia!

We had to be dressed, taped and ready for 3pm position meetings, and practice #2 started at 4pm...wearing a helmet and shoulder pads in August in that heat, just criminal. And Coach Bowden would tell us all the time to PRAY for MORE HEAT!!! He would tell us all these stories about how many IV's (for full body cramps) the players at Florida State needed and compare our numbers to them. That man was nutz! Practices were vicious, the O-line was always cutting people and Coach Thielen Smith, the D-line coach told us if they cut us to jump on their heads. Fights would of course happen but one afternoon a team brawl broke out, partly due to the oline cut blocking folks but Coach Burns said we couldn't hit the RB's! So Coach Smith said "f*&k dat *ish! If they gonna cut yall then yall hit the RB's". John Wilson, all 5'4' of him caught a swing pass and we lit him up, he was out cold! And Burns runs up and he and Thilen get into it and next thing I know there's pushing and shoving everywhere, Shaun runs up with no helmet on, and Kevin Revis open hand slaps the snot out of him! We really didn't like each other after the 1st week....

To be continued...gotta go back to work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 am 
Regent's Circle

Thanks Charles, but didn't Tulane turn down the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am 
Breaker Level

sr wrote:

At the time we were told that Cincinatti brought their way in, by agreeing to purchase a large block of tickets and giving Boise State a basketball game. Now since then it has come to light that TB thought the time would be better spent recruiting, and it would've cost the athletic department more than we would've made for the game, etc....which yeah, I think he would've had an uprising if he told us that back then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:32 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
One other memory for the '98 Homecoming weekend was after the Tulane win over Louisville my son and I made our way back to the Hilton and planted ourselves in the Sports Bar upstairs. We watched with glee Kentucky beat lsu in BR. It was just a perfect evening including the Alligator Satay while watching the tiggers try to win just their forth game of the season. You know in '98 they only won 4 games. Tulane would have destroyed lsu had they played.

The only thing about that 2 Bowden/Rodriguez years I was disappointed in was the fact that we did not play LSU in either of those years. Especially '98. You knew TU would have blown them out in Biblical proportions. Bowden would have seen to that because he knew how much that would have meant to Tulane fans. LSU stopped playing us after '96. Good timing by them. :roll:

And as for Tulane not going bowling after '97, I think it was the right thing to do because what that bowl was asking in return for the invite. And though this is hindsight, it probably gave the '98 team that extra motivation to make '98 special. And speaking of '97, although TU lost to Syracuse at the end of that game. Bowden instilled in them the fact that coming close was not good enough. That sparked them for the rest of '97 and probably '98 too. Good stuff. :mrgreen:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:44 pm 
Breaker Level

charlamange8 wrote:
sr wrote:

At the time we were told that Cincinatti brought their way in, by agreeing to purchase a large block of tickets and giving Boise State a basketball game. Now since then it has come to light that TB thought the time would be better spent recruiting, and it would've cost the athletic department more than we would've made for the game, etc....which yeah, I think he would've had an uprising if he told us that back then.

Asked Bowden about this on the pod, and that was essentially his answer. Said he thinks that was one of his biggest mistakes. That said, was interesting how many players talked about the chip on the shoulder that left for 1998. Sometimes things work out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm 
Navigator Level

It was a great time. Tulane football revolutionizing college football. We started with our small crowds. Attendance rose and it would have risen even faster if two games hadn't been affected by approaching hurricanes. The ending of the Louisville game was breathtaking. The sight of that line for tickets on Thanksgiving night will always stick with me. They only had one ticket window open. Had a couple of Tech fans sit near us but they were gone by the half. My seats were on the Loge Level. I was the one who started the Stay Tommy Stay cheer. I was friends with the sister of our center, Jerry Godfrey ,who sat on the Plaza with her seats right below mine. She picked it up from me and spread it down there. I fondly remember the crowns they gave out at one game for us to wear. May this team 20 years later honor them in grand fashion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:07 pm 
Riptide Level

Is anyone able to track down the box scores from each game that year? I would love to know the scoring that year broken down by quarter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:40 pm 
Navigator Level

Can anyone post the entire roster? Tulane's site only goes back to 2001.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:

Ask Google.

"tulane football 1998 roster"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 pm 
Navigator Level

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:

Ask Google.

"tulane football 1998 roster"

Did that. It wasn't there. All they had was a very partial one with just skill position players. Lost my 1998 Media Guide to Katrina.