Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 am
Posts: 2955
Location: Destin, FL
In Atlantic City. Towson in the 1st rd. LaSalle/Alabama A&M (hopefully winner of!) in the 2nd.

https://goexplorers.com/news/2018/8/6/m ... 21-22.aspx

For those curious, Towson finished 16-14 last year (8-10 in the Colonial) with an RPI of 154. 20 spots higher than we finished.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4341
I'll likely make the 2 1/2 trip and am thrilled to be able to see two games, but I don't understand some of these things from a financial standpoint. I remember that tournament a few years ago we played in televised by a network I never heard of in front of friends and family. This will not be well attended at all. Nobody is making the trip from Maryland or Florida, Lasalle might bring some people from Philly but it is during the holidays and Tulane will get some local diehards like me to show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 3009
Location: New Orleans
My wife and I very well might make the trip. See games and visit son in NYC for Xmas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10002
NJwave wrote:
I'll likely make the 2 1/2 trip and am thrilled to be able to see two games, but I don't understand some of these things from a financial standpoint. I remember that tournament a few years ago we played in televised by a network I never heard of in front of friends and family. This will not be well attended at all. Nobody is making the trip from Maryland or Florida, Lasalle might bring some people from Philly but it is during the holidays and Tulane will get some local diehards like me to show.

These TV networks that nobody has heard of need inventory, I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7098
Location: Charlotte
NJwave wrote:
I'll likely make the 2 1/2 trip and am thrilled to be able to see two games, but I don't understand some of these things from a financial standpoint. I remember that tournament a few years ago we played in televised by a network I never heard of in front of friends and family. This will not be well attended at all. Nobody is making the trip from Maryland or Florida, Lasalle might bring some people from Philly but it is during the holidays and Tulane will get some local diehards like me to show.


don't you remember our tournament games last year from Montego Bay? Couldn't have been more than 50 fans in a convention center hall that was turned into a basketball court

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:32 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21039
Location: North Kenner
Johnny Mac wrote:
NJwave wrote:
I'll likely make the 2 1/2 trip and am thrilled to be able to see two games, but I don't understand some of these things from a financial standpoint. I remember that tournament a few years ago we played in televised by a network I never heard of in front of friends and family. This will not be well attended at all. Nobody is making the trip from Maryland or Florida, Lasalle might bring some people from Philly but it is during the holidays and Tulane will get some local diehards like me to show.


don't you remember our tournament games last year from Montego Bay? Couldn't have been more than 50 fans in a convention center hall that was turned into a basketball court

Was that the one that had two courts separated by a curtain with games on each court?

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20367
Location: Chicago
We should win this tournament running away

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6973
Location: Dripping Springs
How far is NYC from Atlantic City? The NYC Alumni Group seems pretty active.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4341
sr wrote:
How far is NYC from Atlantic City? The NYC Alumni Group seems pretty active.


Two hours plus depending on traffic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6973
Location: Dripping Springs
NJwave wrote:
sr wrote:
How far is NYC from Atlantic City? The NYC Alumni Group seems pretty active.


Two hours plus depending on traffic.

Charter bus with Ccocktails & appetizers is not out of the question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6973
Location: Dripping Springs
'... it's where we're headed.'

https://twitter.com/samirsehic/status/1029525764889292800?s=20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20581
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Johnny Mac wrote:
don't you remember our tournament games last year from Montego Bay? Couldn't have been more than 50 fans in a convention center hall that was turned into a basketball court

If you could organize an event that was attractive enough to get enough sponsors and/or a TV coverage package such that it paid all the expenses for all the teams and all the organizers (read: you) to spend a few days in Jamaica, wouldn't you? I mean, as long as sponsors or TV cover everything, teams are gonna want to go because, hey, Caribbean trip...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4341
Atlantic City is a dump especially in December. It is too cold to hang out on the beach or the Boardwalk which are gross to begin with. Atlantic City used to pull a lot of people from Philadelphia but Philly has Casino's now. Many of the other Pennsylvania casinos are closer to New York as well. There are a few nice hotels/casinos but for the most part the economy is awful and the city is really struggling. They have this dream that legalized sports gambling will prop it up.

I can't imagine the organizer is doing this for a free trip to Atlantic City. More likely lost a best and this is the payoff.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18483
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
NJwave wrote:
Atlantic City is a dump especially in December. It is too cold to hang out on the beach or the Boardwalk which are gross to begin with. Atlantic City used to pull a lot of people from Philadelphia but Philly has Casino's now. Many of the other Pennsylvania casinos are closer to New York as well. There are a few nice hotels/casinos but for the most part the economy is awful and the city is really struggling. They have this dream that legalized sports gambling will prop it up.

I can't imagine the organizer is doing this for a free trip to Atlantic City. More likely lost a best and this is the payoff.

Yikes (but true). My wife’s relatives in South Philly used to go to AC en masse in the old days but no longer. There are casinos 10 minutes away now on the Delaware River.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group