Blood bath at Nola.com (athleticnola response)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Blood bath at Nola.com (athleticnola response)

Post by noladave »

Between people leaving, before they get laid off, and those actually being laid off, Nola.com (specifically sports section) is being wiped out.

Pretty soon, it will be recent college grads and interns only, along with “per article” writers.. Very few full time staff.

So far, the Advocate hasn’t had the same issue, but it could be due to the fact, that it covers 2 cities - Baton Rouge and New Orleans (and possibly Lafayette?)..

Not sure how much Tulane coverage we will be seeing. Will had been really good during recruiting, but he’s one of the ones leaving/laid off.

Rumor does have it that NOAthletics is being started up, part of “The Athletic” organization . They have raided a lot of local newspaper guys across the country, specifically in the SEC areas.
fearthewave
Breaker Level

Re: Blood bath at Nola.com

Post by fearthewave »

noladave wrote:Between people leaving, before they get laid off, and those actually being laid off, Nola.com (specifically sports section) is being wiped out.

Pretty soon, it will be recent college grads and interns only, along with “per article” writers.. Very few full time staff.

So far, the Advocate hasn’t had the same issue, but it could be due to the fact, that it covers 2 cities - Baton Rouge and New Orleans (and possibly Lafayette?)..

Not sure how much Tulane coverage we will be seeing. Will had been really good during recruiting, but he’s one of the ones leaving/laid off.

Rumor does have it that NOAthletics is being started up, part of “The Athletic” organization . They have raided a lot of local newspaper guys across the country, specifically in the SEC areas.
FWIW, what you are saying is on the money from what I am hearing. I believe they have an LSU guy lined up but haven't heard anything about Tulane. And Will, like Holder, is leaving on his own decision to do something new...
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

They've had somebody else named Joseph Haim covering us recently.
We deserve so much better
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Had asked the question of their Sports Editor a week ago. Here is her reply --
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2018 6:16:16 PM
Subject: Re: Tulane Beat Writer ...

Mr. sr,

Thanks for reaching out to inquire. Staff writer Chris Dabe and freelancer Joe Halm will be covering Tulane athletics for us this fall, though both cover other areas as well. Chris leads our college sports coverage team, and Joe has a hand in our prep volleyball and football coverage.

I have two Tulane football stories in the queue for editing as I type this! Thank you for reading, and please reach out if you have any feedback.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Armstrong
Sports Editor
NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Other board says Tiger Ron Higgins has left/gotten booted by TP. Confirmed?
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I would bet that the LSU reporters will be kept on until the very end. They are like fleas; the last living things to leave a dying body...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Is Tammy Nunez surviving the cut? (Yes, I know she no lager does sports, just curious/concerned for other “people we know”)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Like the old parlor game about actors or singers, I thought they were dead already.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

AO Sig wrote:I would bet that the LSU reporters will be kept on until the very end. They are like fleas; the last living things to leave a dying body...
I actually wouldn't; they're the MOST replaceable. Very easy to find some recent grad willing to write articles good enough for that fanbase for $20 a column and a press pass....
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Ron is also gone.

New model for newspapers - a handful of full time staff (usually young, and less expensive), and everyone else is pay per article (other way of saying freelance).

Most of the time, it’s just a rewritten version, with some additional information, of what Tulane is releasing on their own site.

It is what it is. If people would pay for newspapers, then you would have more coverage. I personally gave up on trying to get people to pay for something, they always want the free stuff. And then if you do get a subscriber, they end up posting all of the premium stuff on other social media. This goes all the way back to Wayne. He had the scoop, way before anyone else, but couldn’t get enough subscribers to make a true living.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

noladave wrote:Between people leaving, before they get laid off, and those actually being laid off, Nola.com (specifically sports section) is being wiped out.

A lot of these layoffs are from profitable companies (like the TP) trying to be more profitable (which, of course, is their right). Maximizing profit may not be John Georges' motive with the Advocate.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

ml wave wrote:

A lot of these layoffs are from profitable companies (like the TP) trying to be more profitable (which, of course, is their right). Maximizing profit may not be John Georges' motive with the Advocate.
The way I see it is many places are interested in publishing short and simple pieces. Now they eventually found out they don't need very talented journalist to do such simple pieces. It has developed into the "fast food" media and you waste money paying for good chefs.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:

The way I see it is many places are interested in publishing short and simple pieces. Now they eventually found out they don't need very talented journalist to do such simple pieces. It has developed into the "fast food" media and you waste money paying for good chefs.
Succinctly put. I guess that’s why I feel awful after I read but need another fix in a few hours.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Very well said. I feel like my head is spinning with plethora of articles that pop up when I open a web site, most of them being junk. I need to disconnect, but in a way that I still know what's going on in the world.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Private Joker wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
ml wave wrote:

Very well said. I feel like my head is spinning with plethora of articles that pop up when I open a web site, most of them being junk. I need to disconnect, but in a way that I still know what's going on in the world.
Twitterfication of 'Murica
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

FearTheWave seems to be taking it into his own hands, by using podcasts, as a way to disseminate information. If you are willing to pay $2.99 a month, you can hear it, before everyone else.

i went ahead and subscribed today, as I try to support anyone willing to cover Tulane extensively. In the scheme of things $3 a month, is less than a cup of coffee these days (although I don’t drink coffee).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

noladave wrote:Ron is also gone.

New model for newspapers - a handful of full time staff (usually young, and less expensive), and everyone else is pay per article (other way of saying freelance).

Most of the time, it’s just a rewritten version, with some additional information, of what Tulane is releasing on their own site.

It is what it is. If people would pay for newspapers, then you would have more coverage. I personally gave up on trying to get people to pay for something, they always want the free stuff. And then if you do get a subscriber, they end up posting all of the premium stuff on other social media. This goes all the way back to Wayne. He had the scoop, way before anyone else, but couldn’t get enough subscribers to make a true living.

I'm sorry when anyone loses his or her job. I assume he has bills to pay and perhaps a family to support so as with any unemployed person, I hope he lands on his feet quickly. However as concerns his journalism, Higgins usually seemed to have especially drunk the SEC Kool-aid with the LSU nexium colored flavor packet. He too often had barely concealed contempt for anything outside that "universe." To paraphrase Hamlet, he made love to that employment and it did not end well.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

When I read the title I thought this was about the twitter feud going on among local sportscasters today. Kaare Johnson is even involved.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

It’s all inter-twined.

Some of the journalists yesterday were criticizing the Saints journalists, on their “biased” coverage, and being afraid to ask “real” questions.

I think a lot of these guys are sweating it out, job wise, and don’t want to be afraid to p-iss off the Saints, and then have the Saints personnel either pull their credentials, or complain to their boss.

I once looked at the application to cover the Saints, when they play at Turchin, and the “terms and conditions” are pretty strict. I didn’t want to deal with that, so I just never applied.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Well, one of them announced today that he was headed to THEATHLETICNOLA today.. not sure about any others. The guy that announced said he would be covering LSU / SAINTS, and didn’t mention Tulane.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

Joe Halm is a good guy. He used to work at Tulane. He was laid off abruptly and unfairly by Tulane.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

noladave wrote:Well, one of them announced today that he was headed to THEATHLETICNOLA today.. not sure about any others. The guy that announced said he would be covering LSU / SAINTS, and didn’t mention Tulane.
Athletic is a great subscriber site. It's especially awesome for MLB.

First thing to do if you use it though is note "Tulane" as a favorite team. Thereafter just keep asking for more Tulane/AAC content in all and reasonable ways.

On a subscriber site, it's a much smaller universe. They can't pull the "you just don't fit our dominant advertiser-desired demographic."

It's you're a local paying for local content and you want to see it. I'm not saying we'll see a Tulane beat reporter on that site but you will see regular stories if you demand it and keep subscribing in reasonable numbers. 500 Tulane subscribers will matter to The Athletic. We've already seen that 5000 Tulane subscribers doesn't carry any water with TP/nola.com
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

doc wrote:Joe Halm is a good guy. He used to work at Tulane. He was laid off abruptly and unfairly by Tulane.
Yeah, but at least it wasn't by the Athletic Department.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Post by MNAlum »

Baywave1 wrote:
noladave wrote:Well, one of them announced today that he was headed to THEATHLETICNOLA today.. not sure about any others. The guy that announced said he would be covering LSU / SAINTS, and didn’t mention Tulane.
Athletic is a great subscriber site. It's especially awesome for MLB.

First thing to do if you use it though is note "Tulane" as a favorite team. Thereafter just keep asking for more Tulane/AAC content in all and reasonable ways.

On a subscriber site, it's a much smaller universe. They can't pull the "you just don't fit our dominant advertiser-desired demographic."

It's you're a local paying for local content and you want to see it. I'm not saying we'll see a Tulane beat reporter on that site but you will see regular stories if you demand it and keep subscribing in reasonable numbers. 500 Tulane subscribers will matter to The Athletic. We've already seen that 5000 Tulane subscribers doesn't carry any water with TP/nola.com
Will Guillory joined The Athletic as well and he used to cover Tulane. Who knows, we may get some scraps. Tulane was highlighted in The Athletic's AAC preview with Jonathan Banks as a player to watch. Roll Wave!!!
Last edited by MNAlum on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

As concerns The Athletic, timing is all. It's a VC funded enterprise raising lots of money and interested in growth. Numbers are private but here is a reasonable example of how it could work this year before it hits maturity when valuations and strategies will change.

Current subscription cost annually is roughly $50 per year. Investors are potentially paying 10x or even 20x for each new subscriber based on assumed valuations. If the latter, that's $1000 per head. You get 200 new subscribers in SELA market (or elsewhere) in the next four weeks who list Tulane as a favorite team, that's a potential $200,000 in accrued value to existing owners and early investors.

For $200,000 you might invest $10,000 to $20,000 or even more in generating original content in the short run. Yes that's equal to gross revenue. But again these folks are in a maximum growth mode and will spend on the margin to get customers so they get stupid valuation numbers like the unicorn startups do.

Sorry to delve into the weeds here and my numbers are admittedly soft, so please take them as such. But the business strategy itself is not. If you people want to see more local informed media covering Tulane with related content, here is your chance. For a while (I can't guess how long), each subscription dollar of yours is actually worth ten or twenty or even more to this business. Ideally when they reach maturity, the Tulane coverage is baked in and we don't have to worry so much about it being cut back dramatically like TP/nola.com has done over the past two decades. I'll worry about that problem when it arises.

Meanwhile you won't need to waste your time emailing/texting the sports editor of nola.com any more, thank god.