Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Offense - analysis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:12 am 
Breaker Level

Fritz’s style O has been explained before but this one really started to help me “get it”. Maybe it will help others, plus some cool replays against OKlahoma.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2018/8/23 ... -acc-deacs

Great way to get pumped for the season opener as well.

Roll Wave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 pm 
Navigator Level

Fun read. Thanks.

I'll probably be at the Brown-Cornell game this year, by the way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:36 am 
Emerald Circle

Kinda gives you hope for even the OSU game, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:37 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

We outplayed Oklahoma for the better part of a half with a backup q.v. that could barely throw.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:14 am 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

We outplayed Oklahoma for the better part of a half with a backup q.v. that could barely throw.

Which is what I said in the OSU thread...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:42 am 
President's Circle

While I agree with the above sentiments, Oklahoma gave up 30 or more points 6 times last year. Their defense was pedestrian. They didn't punt against us until the 4th quarter if remember correctly. They were in control of the game because we couldnt stop them. If we are going to compete against OSU we need to play some D.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
While I agree with the above sentiments, Oklahoma gave up 30 or more points 6 times last year. Their defense was pedestrian. They didn't punt against us until the 4th quarter if remember correctly. They were in control of the game because we couldnt stop them. If we are going to compete against OSU we need to play some D.

Agreed

And I never said I thought we were going to win fwiw. But if we play as well against OSU as we did Oklahoma, I'll be proud.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:13 pm 
Navigator Level

Overall, I love this article and it's a good read.

These two sentences, however, are absolutely killing me.

"It sounds cliché, but there their is a reason the experts bring it up so often much when covering option teams. In order to successfully stop the option, each player has to know who their responsibility is on the offense is."

This writer is from Wake Forest?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 pm 
President's Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:

"It sounds cliché, but there their is a reason the experts bring it up so often much when covering option teams. In order to successfully stop the option, each player has to know who their responsibility is on the offense is."

The "their" is the only unforgivable error there. The rest are pretty much commonplace at this point, especially considering that it's a "blog" site, which, I'm guessing, doesn't have much editorial oversite. As for accent marks, don't even get me started on the "debate" over Kike Hernandez's name.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:01 pm 
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:

The "their" is the only unforgivable error there. The rest are pretty much commonplace at this point, especially considering that it's a "blog" site, which, I'm guessing, doesn't have much editorial oversite. As for accent marks, don't even get me started on the "debate" over Kike Hernandez's name.

Heck, my jaw tightens every time I hear or see “graduate high school/college”. You graduate from an institution but the incorrect usage is so commonplace now that I have stopped correcting people.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:21 pm 
Cornerstone

TUPF wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:

Heck, my jaw tightens every time I hear or see “graduate high school/college”. You graduate from an institution but the incorrect usage is so commonplace now that I have stopped correcting people.
YES!
That, and the way people use "myself" as the object of a second- or third-person action.

My personal biggest pet peeves. I hear those so often, that I'm surprised I haven't ground my teeth completely away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:50 am 
Breaker Level

Poseidon wrote:

So, with Kennedy back and a host of other folks playing their positions for a couple of years, indications that the team is working out all summer and getting bigger, and the fact that the coaches know they have to improve on D - can't we hope for a break out year on D in 2019? HOPE is eternal before the first game, I know! But my money is on the fact that we should see some drastic improvement on D (Faster and more in tune with the scheme, better athletes) - and O Line will improve. If that happens expect TU to surprise a few folks! Maybe not OSU, (but I will be there). But certainly Wake F. is a real possibility. 28% chance to win is based upon our history. Not based upon the work done since last year by the team and this staff. In a few days, all the ?'s will be answered.

Last edited by RI WAVE on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:51 am 
President's Circle

RI WAVE wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

So, with Kennedy back and a host of other folks playing their positions for a couple of years, indications that the team is working out all summer and getting bigger, and the fact that the coaches know they have to improve on D - can't we hope for a break out year on D in 2019. HOPE is eternal before the first game, I know! But my money is on the fact that we should see some drastic improvement on D (Faster and more in tune with the scheme, better athletes) - and O Line will improve! If that happens expect us to surprise a few folks! Maybe not OSU, (but I will be there). But certainly WF is a real possibility. 28% chance to win based upon our history, not the work done since last year by the team and this staff. in a few days, all the ?'s will be answered.

2019?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:54 am 
Breaker Level

Yup - 2018 is my intent. I suspect we will see a major change for the better, from last year.