Addition of Justin McMillian completes Tulane's roster

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TXWave88
Navigator Level

Re: Addition of Justin McMillian completes Tulane's roster

Unread post by TXWave88 »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:Suffice it to say that modern day college offenses are a tad more intricate than those of 1960s (70s?) era high school.
Snark aside, it doesn’t answer the question. Current offense, current QBs. I thought QBs were supposed to be quicker studies yet we often hear “he’s still learning the offense” in year 2 or 3.
Offenses are more complex, but everyone has their own nomenclature or signals in these offenses. Most offenses have the same personnel groupings, same formations, etc. but different names. WF offense has some different looking formations, but blocking schemes and route trees are the same as anyone else. It is just being able to translate the names/signals of the plays he knows into the WF system. That takes time.

The stories you hear about the "still learning the system after 2-3 years" usually tells me that it is just too complex for an individual and if that individual starts to really play well, probably more that the system was simplified for that player.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

I know in previous situations, like Canteen, they transferred them to an academic/President’s scholarship. I don’t know if they did it with him.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:Suffice it to say that modern day college offenses are a tad more intricate than those of 1960s (70s?) era high school.
Snark aside, it doesn’t answer the question. Current offense, current QBs. I thought QBs were supposed to be quicker studies yet we often hear “he’s still learning the offense” in year 2 or 3.
...because modern offenses are more complex...
So back to square one. How will McM be the #2 after a few games, having never been with the team before?
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

He's learned new offenses every year he's been in college. He graduated in three years so as CWF said he's got the intelligence to pick it up quickly. Throw in the fact that he's far superior physically to the current #'2and 3 and he'll be there very soon.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
So back to square one. How will McM be the #2 after a few games, having never been with the team before?
He will learn a basic package. Remember you can run the same play i.e. same reads out of different formations. And a lot of football ia the same play just different formations. For example:

I right 24 power.... twins left, right 24 power.... trips right 24 power.... I right zip 24 power.... i right zap 24 power... twins left right zip 24 power .... trips right zap 24 power .... that's 7 plays flip the formations and make it 25 power you have 14... add 42/49 check with me you have 42 "plays" with the same package but really you only need to learn one read. Make it a double TE package and you now have 84 combinations but still only one read. Give the QB two other presnap keys (LB and free safety) which would indicate fullback dive or a pass play and you're up to probably 250 to 300 or so combinations because the receivers know the route trees but the QB only needs to learn 1 complex pass route 2 quick pass routes while knowing how to handoff to a fullback or RB after making a preanap read. Even an old guy like you could learn that in a day or two. Timing is where practice is helpful
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Good stuff, windy. And yes, I’m old. :lol: I’ll be officiating 2-3 games/week starting Wednesday and I will have my hands full not getting killed between the linebackers.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
He will learn a basic package. Remember you can run the same play i.e. same reads out of different formations. And a lot of football ia the same play just different formations. For example:

I right 24 power.... twins left, right 24 power.... trips right 24 power.... I right zip 24 power.... i right zap 24 power... twins left right zip 24 power .... trips right zap 24 power .... that's 7 plays flip the formations and make it 25 power you have 14... add 42/49 check with me you have 42 "plays" with the same package but really you only need to learn one read. Make it a double TE package and you now have 84 combinations but still only one read. Give the QB two other presnap keys (LB and free safety) which would indicate fullback dive or a pass play and you're up to probably 250 to 300 or so combinations because the receivers know the route trees but the QB only needs to learn 1 complex pass route 2 quick pass routes while knowing how to handoff to a fullback or RB after making a preanap read. Even an old guy like you could learn that in a day or two. Timing is where practice is helpful
JM's armband will look like a cast for a broken arm. The timing is a huge issue, especially on pass routes. I don't know if JM can sync with WRs in a season, much less a few weeks. But he seems to be mobile enough to make something out of a broken play, which sometimes better than risking a throw when theres not a good mesh with the WRs. Still, glad to have him as an option.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Poseidon »

Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:

JM's armband will look like a cast for a broken arm. The timing is a huge issue, especially on pass routes. I don't know if JM can sync with WRs in a season, much less a few weeks. But he seems to be mobile enough to make something out of a broken play, which sometimes better than risking a throw when theres not a good mesh with the WRs. Still, glad to have him as an option.
I still say they wait until after the bye week. If JB were to get hurt that would certainly accelerate the process.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

long green wrote:. He’ll be the first guy in after Banks vs. Ohio St.
Just because we are up three scores doesn’t mean we should take our foot off the pedal. Make it a statement game!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

TUPF wrote:
ml wave wrote:
TUPF wrote:
By default?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

noladave wrote:I know in previous situations, like Canteen, they transferred them to an academic/President’s scholarship. I don’t know if they did it with him.
If he's not in school, there's no reason to have him on scholarship. If he's in school, there's no reason to transfer him to an academic scholarship unless we have another use for it (McMillan?). Otherwise, since he's a grad, just let it toll. Would be different if he was a Fr or So and needed time to graduate.