Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Dripping Springs
Coming in at #10 …

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
sr wrote:
Coming in at #10 …

Image

So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:09 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20373
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Not sure exactly what you mean but this is a week to week poll, not a running poll. Last week the Memphis uniforms were #1 for the week.

I have no idea whether they'll do a cumulative season-long poll at the end of the year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:23 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Not sure exactly what you mean but this is a week to week poll, not a running poll. Last week the Memphis uniforms were #1 for the week.

I have no idea whether they'll do a cumulative season-long poll at the end of the year.

Ah, that's what I get for not reading it

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:02 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20965
Location: North Kenner
gerryb323 wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
So are we in the top 10 at least twice? Because our Memphis uniforms win.
Not sure exactly what you mean but this is a week to week poll, not a running poll. Last week the Memphis uniforms were #1 for the week.

I have no idea whether they'll do a cumulative season-long poll at the end of the year.

Ah, that's what I get for not reading it

They will do an overall in which we can be in the top 10 twice.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20965
Location: North Kenner
SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 am
Posts: 277
waverider wrote:
SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.


Wumbo's are back baby!!!

_________________
You're killin' me Smalls!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:10 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2601
Location: Greeneville, TN
Don't know if anybody has posted the origin of the term "wumbo" or why it's being used for these helmets, but thought I'd give a quick explanation and reveal my age (roughly) in the process.

It's actually a reference to an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants. The episode in question involves the main character and his friend, Patrick Star, playing around with a super-powered belt worn by Mermaidman, an elderly Aquaman-like character who appears in several episodes. The belt features a giant M on the front which allows the user to shrink objects (M for mini). Unfortunately because SpongeBob and Patrick are morons they cause chaos with the belt around their town. In an attempt to reverse the chaos Patrick flips the belt buckle over so that the M becomes a W. He goes on to explain how Wumbo is the opposite of Mini and should fix the issue. Long story short, it doesn't.

The below clip is now famous among millennials and is probably why they keep referring to these awesome helmets as "wumbo". It's a way to connect with younger fans.



I'm sad that I know so much about this topic. May you all have mercy on me for exposing you to this mindless drivel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20373
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I showed the helmets to my 27 and 24 year old coworkers and they ABSOLUTELY knew the term and the reference and thought Tulane calling the helmets "Wumbo" was both pop-culturally awesome and looks-wise appropriate.

I thought I posted a link to the wiki page about the term here (didn't go back to look). I fully admit I had never heard the term before the helmet thing, but I'm not of the SpongeBob generation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:49 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20965
Location: North Kenner
Spongebob reruns appear on Nick at Nite. Nothing young about that!

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:27 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
waverider wrote:
Spongebob reruns appear on Nick at Nite. Nothing young about that!

If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:44 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2601
Location: Greeneville, TN
PeteRasche wrote:
Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I showed the helmets to my 27 and 24 year old coworkers and they ABSOLUTELY knew the term and the reference and thought Tulane calling the helmets "Wumbo" was both pop-culturally awesome and looks-wise appropriate.

I thought I posted a link to the wiki page about the term here (didn't go back to look). I fully admit I had never heard the term before the helmet thing, but I'm not of the SpongeBob generation.


I knew they'd been calling them Wumbo since the reveal but I missed them posting the clip. I figured there still might be some who were confused. I'd fit right in with your coworkers generationally as I too appreciate the reference even if I hate to admit I probably watched the episode when it premiered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:51 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Outlaw, the day before those helmets were fully revealed, Tulane equipment tweeted that SpongeBob clip as a hint. They then referred to them multiple times as Wumbo after revealing them.

I showed the helmets to my 27 and 24 year old coworkers and they ABSOLUTELY knew the term and the reference and thought Tulane calling the helmets "Wumbo" was both pop-culturally awesome and looks-wise appropriate.

I thought I posted a link to the wiki page about the term here (didn't go back to look). I fully admit I had never heard the term before the helmet thing, but I'm not of the SpongeBob generation.


I knew they'd been calling them Wumbo since the reveal but I missed them posting the clip. I figured there still might be some who were confused. I'd fit right in with your coworkers generationally as I too appreciate the reference even if I hate to admit I probably watched the episode when it premiered.

I missed SpongeBob by a couple years and steadfastly refused to watch it since that's what my younger brother watched. So thanks for the background. Yes, I ignored the link Pete posted earlier!

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20670
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
My 6 yo’s Favorite show is Spongebob I asked him what that term meant And he couldn’t tell me. Maybe he just hasn’t seen that episode, or he didn’t understand it because he only sees the show in Spanish and maybe they changed/translated it in Spanish. Fwiw, its interesting how popularity ranges not just based on generation, but also by region. Spongebob is still top 2 with kids in Spain (along with Paw Patrol). It is on tv like three hours a day, I see tons of backpacks at my son's school, popular balloon option on Sunday afternoons, etc. In New Orleans, I think it's only on adult cartoon tv, I never see backpacks anywhere, nor other merch. I think its the reason that its the only show he still thinks is only in spanish, because he's never even run across it in New Orleans. And this all seems regional within the united states as well. When my wife referenced the show to her Tulane students (20ish year olds) all of the new england kids were on it like flies on rice. The southern and midwestern kids were like "what?"

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:49 pm
Posts: 2601
Location: Greeneville, TN
Since I've opened this can of worms, I'll throw one more tidbit out there. In a previous job, my company did a lot of work for Nickelodeon. One of the things we learned about (and I think it's public knowledge anyway) is that Spongebob was never intended to be a long running, super well known property at the network. There was a delay in releasing a more expensive show in the late 90s and they needed a filler show, so they threw a season of SpongeBob out there just to fill the gap.

Needless to say, executives were floored when it became as popular as it did. They essentially stumbled onto what has easily turned into their most profitable IP, far surpassing Rugrats, Doug, Blue's Clues, Fairly Oddparents, or anything else they've put out. With the slow decline of cable, SpongeBob may ultimately be the legacy Nickelodeon leaves behind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 6879
Location: Dripping Springs
waverider wrote:
SMU unis have been revealed. The helmets and pants from Memphis game but with green shirts.

https://twitter.com/CoachMutz/status/1053077615416918017?s=20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20373
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Not really a fan of dark green shirts with black pants, but, hey, whatever. At least the helmets are back.

gerryb323 wrote:
If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.
I cut the cord before most people even started using the term "millennial". What does that mean?
(I'd like to say it means I'm very tech-forward and "ahead of the trends" but frankly it means I'm quasi-tech-savvy while yet a product of a penny-pinching family)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4398
Location: Wichita
PeteRasche wrote:
Not really a fan of dark green shirts with black pants, but, hey, whatever. At least the helmets are back.

gerryb323 wrote:
If you have Nick at nite you still have cable and are, thus, old.
I cut the cord before most people even started using the term "millennial". What does that mean?
(I'd like to say it means I'm very tech-forward and "ahead of the trends" but frankly it means I'm quasi-tech-savvy while yet a product of a penny-pinching family)

Young at heart, Pete. Or....
Image

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:30 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20670
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Talk nerdy to me.....





The black has got to go.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20373
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
Young at heart, Pete. Or....
Image

If saving about 12 to 15 thousand dollars in the last decade over all of you who still pay for cable makes me a nerd, then send me a pocket protector.

The irony is that I probably have the fanciest TV setup of anyone here in terms of streaming, having all my personal stuff available on my TV within my home or on remote devices, etc.... and we now basically never watch TV.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rjc and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group