Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20747
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Wavebacker wrote:
Hey I like the Angry Wave as much as the next guy, but it's a bit too much to place it on a helmet. Once, maybe. I'll take the interlocking TU , thanks.
Unfortunately you are vastly outnumbered. There are lots of helmet and uniform blogs/websites/social media pages out there on the intarwebs and they all LOVE Angry Wave. I've seen plenty of raves about this helmet, one saying it jumps to the front of the pack as the best helmet thus far in 2018.

Sorry, but youth has spoken.
(not me - all the non-Tulane folks across the social mediasphere 8) )


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20206
Location: New Orleans
I love the Angry Wave logo on the helmet. Its iconic, unique, historical and well represents who we are.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:42 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 7070
Location: Dripping Springs
GreenieBacker wrote:
I love the Angry Wave logo on the helmet. Its iconic, unique, historical and well represents who we are.

Yeah, we're definitely Angry - even our tennis balls -
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:20 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30875
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Poseidon wrote:
Wavebacker wrote:
windywave wrote:
Wavebacker wrote:
And the angry Wave? Can we leave it off the helmets? It's overkill.
.


A pox upon you


Hey I like the Angry Wave as much as the next guy, but it's a bit too much to place it on a helmet. Once, maybe. I'll take the interlocking TU , thanks.


It's all about the Tulane Brand. TD has stated there are quite a few TUs or Ut out there(3 in our conference alone), but only one Angry Wave.
Exactly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:33 pm
Posts: 6137
Location: The Nerdy Dirty South
windywave wrote:
Wavebacker wrote:
And the angry Wave? Can we leave it off the helmets? It's overkill.
.


A pox upon you


Agreed. Go to /r/cfb. Fans from all over the country love our helmet for tomorrow.

_________________
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Wichita
Wake doesn't do uniform hype videos?!

_________________
#stopbunting
#nomorekicking
#itwasallaruse


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20747
Location: Cincinnati, OH
gerryb323 wrote:
Wake doesn't do uniform hype videos?!

Do they change theirs? Seriously, I'm asking, I don't know.

Some schools change a lot for publicity, recruiting, whatever. Oregon (at least seemingly) started it. Tulane jumped on board. Some schools don't change much because presumably they feel their look is classic and doesn't need updates. Of course, even the most traditional, classic looks (from Alabama to Michigan) have given in and worn black or gray in the past few years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:37 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 20637
Location: Chicago
PeteRasche wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
Wake doesn't do uniform hype videos?!

Do they change theirs? Seriously, I'm asking, I don't know.

Some schools change a lot for publicity, recruiting, whatever. Oregon (at least seemingly) started it. Tulane jumped on board. Some schools don't change much because presumably they feel their look is classic and doesn't need updates. Of course, even the most traditional, classic looks (from Alabama to Michigan) have given in and worn black or gray in the past few years.


They're going to have to change their jock straps at halftime tomorrow

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20971
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Units look better in person. Like them better than anticipated

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:58 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20971
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
Still don’t like the helmets

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:10 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21092
Location: North Kenner
I thought they looked really nice too.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5994
Unis looked great but would have fit better a team named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.


Last edited by Baywave1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21092
Location: North Kenner
Baywave1 wrote:
Unis looked great but would have fit better a name named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.

Last time I say this. The blue is 100% about the athletes wearing them with zero fu€ks given to what fans like or might buy. Until the kids say they don’t like them, they aren’t going anywhere.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:34 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5994
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Unis looked great but would have fit better a name named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.

Last time I say this. The blue is 100% about the athletes wearing them with zero fu€ks given to what fans like or might buy. Until the kids say they don’t like them, they aren’t going anywhere.


Sorry but this is basic business and I don't understand the confusion here about it. NIKE very much loves as much variety as possible. They are more than happy to keep pumping out every uniform variation possible as advertising based on player input or whoever. I now wouldn't be surprised sooner rather than later to see the "Green Wave" wearing more than pink or turquoise accents in the Cancer Awareness games. I get it. I recognize I'm just a traditionalist though tilting at windmills. It ain't changing.

The players are no different than models on designer show fashion runways. If your customers do naturally what you crave as a business owner then you just get out of the way and run to the bank.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:45 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21092
Location: North Kenner
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Unis looked great but would have fit better a name named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.

Last time I say this. The blue is 100% about the athletes wearing them with zero fu€ks given to what fans like or might buy. Until the kids say they don’t like them, they aren’t going anywhere.


Sorry but this is basic business and I don't understand the confusion here about it. NIKE very much loves as much variety as possible. They are more than happy to keep pumping out every uniform variation possible as advertising based on player input or whoever. I now wouldn't be surprised sooner rather than later to see the "Green Wave" wearing more than pink or turquoise accents in the Cancer Awareness games. I get it. I recognize I'm just a traditionalist though tilting at windmills. It ain't changing.

The players are no different than models on designer show fashion runways. If your customers do naturally what you crave as a business owner then you just get out of the way and run to the bank.

The point is we wear the blue a lot because the players want blue. “The athletes in all sports prefer to wear the blue jerseys. I will let them wear what they want because I want them to feel good. If they feel good they play good” -Troy Dannen when asked about the blue jerseys last year.

“I usually ask the team each week what they want to wear. I got the idea for blue pants and the team loved it so I went to Dannen” - Equipment manager Devin Hubbard the other night explaining why we were wearing blue pants with blue shirts.

If the teams said they prefer all gray we would see more gray jersey combos.

But in our case you are probably right. Our expansive fanbase with 90k+ coming to games is prime selling grounds for Nike.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 2480
Baywave1 wrote:
Unis looked great but would have fit better a team named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.


So if your nickname has a color in it, that’s the only color you can wear? No alternate uniform of a different color? I don’t understand that logic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:34 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10029
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Unis looked great but would have fit better a name named the "Blue Wave." I'm with GB on this. Our name is green. Let's just go with that and forget trying to sell extra NIKE gear to all us super fans.


OK I vented. Unis did have style just not a win.

Last time I say this. The blue is 100% about the athletes wearing them with zero fu€ks given to what fans like or might buy. Until the kids say they don’t like them, they aren’t going anywhere.


Sorry but this is basic business and I don't understand the confusion here about it. NIKE very much loves as much variety as possible. They are more than happy to keep pumping out every uniform variation possible as advertising based on player input or whoever. I now wouldn't be surprised sooner rather than later to see the "Green Wave" wearing more than pink or turquoise accents in the Cancer Awareness games. I get it. I recognize I'm just a traditionalist though tilting at windmills. It ain't changing.

The players are no different than models on designer show fashion runways. If your customers do naturally what you crave as a business owner then you just get out of the way and run to the bank.

The point is we wear the blue a lot because the players want blue. “The athletes in all sports prefer to wear the blue jerseys. I will let them wear what they want because I want them to feel good. If they feel good they play good” -Troy Dannen when asked about the blue jerseys last year.

“I usually ask the team each week what they want to wear. I got the idea for blue pants and the team loved it so I went to Dannen” - Equipment manager Devin Hubbard the other night explaining why we were wearing blue pants with blue shirts.

If the teams said they prefer all gray we would see more gray jersey combos.

But in our case you are probably right. Our expansive fanbase with 90k+ coming to games is prime selling grounds for Nike.
Rider, there's no changing stupid.

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48565&p=667903&hilit=nike#p661689


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18633
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
I don’t care if we wear Halloween colors. Attack the field like you have a pair and finish the games.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 30875
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
If the kids are so out of touch with tradition, we need to get new kids. I prefer to lose in green than lose in blue.

Besides, on the Wake Forest board, they called out uniforms the ugliest ever seen. Just one more point of disrespect for our opponents to shovel onto us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 18633
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Roller wrote:
If the kids are so out of touch with tradition, we need to get new kids. I prefer to lose in green than lose in blue.

Besides, on the Wake Forest board, they called out uniforms the ugliest ever seen. Just one more point of disrespect for our opponents to shovel onto us.
Wake Forest posters should hold their water when it comes to uniform colors. Like I posted during the game, their uniforms sported the colors of a discarded cigarette butt without the lipstick. Being from tobacco country I guess it’s appropriate.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | Slow learner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20747
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Roller wrote:
If the kids are so out of touch with tradition, we need to get new kids. I prefer to lose in green than lose in blue.

Besides, on the Wake Forest board, they called out uniforms the ugliest ever seen. Just one more point of disrespect for our opponents to shovel onto us.
This might be the most asinine thing I've ever read on this board and I've read a lot of asinine things. As someone who thinks we're gonna win every game and preaches positivity, you ought to ban yourself for the rest of the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5994
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:


But in our case you are probably right. Our expansive fanbase with 90k+ coming to games is prime selling grounds for Nike.
Rider, there's no changing stupid.

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48565&p=667903&hilit=nike#p661689



Did you go to the game last night? Bought your season tickets yet? You can even go to a lot of road games to enjoy the team this year. Hope to see you at some of them. We need every one of you.


Otherwise I know all those stupid guys like Knight at Nike are billionaires. Too bad he didn't go to Tulane so he'd take care of it like Oregon. He only makes money off Tulane. It's pure business which is ok even if I'm not nuts about the color scheme. That's why he sells pink "Green Wave" gear and any other colors the players, students and fans want. But then I guess you saw it in the Team Store in Wilson last night after you stayed for the fireworks after the OT loss. There were plenty of buying folks in there about 11pm. Sorry I didn't say Hi.


Again NIKE has a business relationship with Tulane not a charitable one. You don't think they drool about Tulane's demographics? They're foursquare behind student athletes promoting more variety in the gear they sell be it blue, gray, whatever. If your model customer is upselling himself, you just say "Thank you" and count the cash. That's how Knight became a stupid self-made billionaire.


I get the "self-esteem" crowd here abusing themselves about losing on the field. That's at least factual. But questioning why a wildly successful business wants to sell to the big wallets at Tulane is where you've gone into the twilight zone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:10 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10029
See


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 21092
Location: North Kenner
Baywave1 wrote:
ml wave wrote:
waverider wrote:


But in our case you are probably right. Our expansive fanbase with 90k+ coming to games is prime selling grounds for Nike.
Rider, there's no changing stupid.

http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48565&p=667903&hilit=nike#p661689



Did you go to the game last night? Bought your season tickets yet? You can even go to a lot of road games to enjoy the team this year. Hope to see you at some of them. We need every one of you.


Otherwise I know all those stupid guys like Knight at Nike are billionaires. Too bad he didn't go to Tulane so he'd take care of it like Oregon. He only makes money off Tulane. It's pure business which is ok even if I'm not nuts about the color scheme. That's why he sells pink "Green Wave" gear and any other colors the players, students and fans want. But then I guess you saw it in the Team Store in Wilson last night after you stayed for the fireworks after the OT loss. There were plenty of buying folks in there about 11pm. Sorry I didn't say Hi.


Again NIKE has a business relationship with Tulane not a charitable one. You don't think they drool about Tulane's demographics? They're foursquare behind student athletes promoting more variety in the gear they sell be it blue, gray, whatever. If your model customer is upselling himself, you just say "Thank you" and count the cash. That's how Knight became a stupid self-made billionaire.


I get the "self-esteem" crowd here abusing themselves about losing on the field. That's at least factual. But questioning why a wildly successful business wants to sell to the big wallets at Tulane is where you've gone into the twilight zone.

You know, reading this thread has made me realize that as much as I like the blue shirts, they should be reserved for 1 game, I think I do prefer the more traditional green shirts with white pants.

Regarding Nike, I can see how the jersey affects sales if the fans want to match the team. When the team wears blue it makes fans want to wear blue, etc. However, Nike doesn’t care if you buy white, green or orange Tulane shirts and will sell them regardless of what color the team wears. If Nike really wanted to make a fortune on Tulane sales they would donate some of that money towards facilities like Oregon’s so we could build a consistent winner.

So again, the team wore blue because the players wanted to not because Nike suggested it. Now, if you say Nike was willing to provide the jerseys in order to boost overall sales, I would agree. I knew the team was wearing blue but still wore my green shirt to the game, but don’t tell Nike.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20747
Location: Cincinnati, OH
If Willie Fritz is anything like Perry Clark, you'll never have to worry about seeing blue on blue again. Wore them once, lost, "burn them".

I think I've told the story before about the first time Tulane basketball had all black anything - it was practice gear that they pulled out for us when we played the preseason NIT game at #2 Indiana in 1992 (the infamous game where Kim Lewis broke his leg). We practiced in them the night before the game, and after the game result (a loss and a devastating injury), we never saw them again.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TulaneRebel and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group