Anybody going to UAB next week?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Anybody going to UAB next week?

Post by noladave »

Most likely going to UAB next week, anyone else plan on going?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Re: Anybody going to UAB next week?

Post by Rotorooter »

I might have a family commitment, but if not, I will be there. Is there a tailgate?

I know there are quite a few B'Ham alums.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Where's Bham Wave? Haven't heard from him in a long time.

I know a few alumni in Birmingham and I believe they are going. Though I haven't checked what time the Tide plays, which might take precedence for them if it's a conflict...
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

There is a tailgate. My sister-in-law in Birmingham is putting it together. Wife and I are planning to go.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Channeling my inner '54, it likes there is some possibility that Florence could affect this game.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Yea, could be.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.s ... e#contents

It could turn into a major storm by Monday, with a lot of nothing but open water ahead before it moves over land on Atlantic seaboard (GA/SC/NC?), oh probaby someting late Thursday. But then would have to cover, oh, 400 miles or so even if it heads directly toward Birmingham. Impact, possibly. Heavy impact that might be another story, but by that time it would only be a rain event. Jim Cantore reporting. :whistle:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

PeteRasche wrote:Where's Bham Wave? Haven't heard from him in a long time.

I know a few alumni in Birmingham and I believe they are going. Though I haven't checked what time the Tide plays, which might take precedence for them if it's a conflict...
I’m here. Was at game in Nola last night. I’ll be heading to Legion Field next weekend!!
Roll Wave Roll!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’ll be there. Some models still show feeder bands from Florence making it there Saturday, especially with the new easterly/southern track. The high is 93-95. By halftime we’ll be hoping for feeder bands.

I’m trying to remember, but I’m pretty certain I haven’t seen us win on the road since ‘98. 2005 I saw us win in a neutral site.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

My best man in my wedding (Tulane law grad) and his family are going. When you see a guy my height but about 100 pounds bigger, that's big Steve. :mrgreen:
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:My best man in my wedding (Tulane law grad) and his family are going. When you see a guy my height but about 100 pounds bigger, that's big Steve. :mrgreen:
He's literally a freakin' giant

You're tall but you plus 100 pounds.... :shock:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:My best man in my wedding (Tulane law grad) and his family are going. When you see a guy my height but about 100 pounds bigger, that's big Steve. :mrgreen:

Yeah, he's 6'10 and anywhere between 320 and 360. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. His teen and pre-teen sons are probably both taller than you by now.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Five of us from N.O. joining 5 more family members in Birmingham to visit and go to the game. Don't know if it will help much, but humidity is supposed to be about 20 percentage points lower than what we been used to this summer.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
windywave wrote:

Yeah, he's 6'10 and anywhere between 320 and 360. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. His teen and pre-teen sons are probably both taller than you by now.
Athletic kids? Just saying....
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I also wonder whether ex-Tulane basketball player and recent Alabama politician, Luther Strange, will be there. If so, you'd have two 6'10" guys even without me!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

we went to Tulane v UAB in Birmingham in 2003... we parked on a street near Legion field and some derelict walked up and said $20.. one of the people in the vehicle said "it's a public street, we don't have to pay to park"... then one level headed passenger, may have been JtS said "pay the guy" meaning if we didn't, car would have been broken into or stolen.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Yes, for those who don't know, Legion Field is in a BAD area of town. I recommend you suck it up and pay to park in a lot.

My wife's Alma mater is just down the road from the stadium. It used to be a quaint little campus in a nice neighborhood when it was established a century ago. Now it's fully gated and students are warned to not turn right (toward Legion Field) after dark.

I was at that game in 2003. Why didn't y'all attend the Tulane tailgate and park in that lot?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:Yes, for those who don't know, Legion Field is in a BAD area of town. I recommend you suck it up and pay to park in a lot.

My wife's Alma mater is just down the road from the stadium. It used to be a quaint little campus in a nice neighborhood when it was established a century ago. Now it's fully gated and students are warned to not turn right (toward Legion Field) after dark.

I was at that game in 2003. Why didn't y'all attend the Tulane tailgate and park in that lot?
who knows.. long time and a lot of beer ago
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

1309 and I are going. We do not have tickets (yet). Should be no problem getting some on game day. Where are the TU fans sitting?
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I hear the TUMB is sending a pep band up. Trying to find out what section they'll be in.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

All of TUMB is going to UAB

It’s OSU that’s getting a pep band.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

I just assumed because of the short notice busing up we might not take the whole outfit as that's how it's been in the past busing to local games.
tumbuuh
Navigator Level

Post by tumbuuh »

1309th WAVE wrote:I just assumed because of the short notice busing up we might not take the whole outfit as that's how it's been in the past busing to local games.
Nah, the band has known since early summer that they were going to the UAB game. Full band, probably performing a show at halftime. They're visiting some sites while they're there and meeting up with some alumni (band and non-band).
We praise thee for thy future, Alma Mater;
The vista of its glory gleameth far.
We shall ever be part of thee, great Mother;
Thou wilt be where e'er thy children are.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tumbuuh wrote:
1309th WAVE wrote:I just assumed because of the short notice busing up we might not take the whole outfit as that's how it's been in the past busing to local games.
Nah, the band has known since early summer that they were going to the UAB game. Full band, probably performing a show at halftime. They're visiting some sites while they're there and meeting up with some alumni (band and non-band).
So who set up the performance at Mountain Brook high school? The Facebook post showing them playing in the school hallway mentioned "recruiting" (tongue in cheek), but I hope they meant for the band (Mountain Brook kids can afford Tulane) and not the football team (few D1 players there and the few there are are usually like grandsons of guys who played for The Bear and have had Alabama tattooed on their foreheads since birth).

(side note, for those who are thinking they've heard that school name before, it's the school of the infamous Natalee Holloway, the girl who disappeared in Aruba and was never found, making a celebrity out of Joran van der Sloot)