Are we gonna be outcheered by Nicholls fans tonight?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Are we gonna be outcheered by Nicholls fans tonight?

Post by wavedom »

noladave wrote:The fan committee met tonight, and had a nice 2 hour, 2 way conversation with all of the stakeholders (Tulane Athletics Admin). Very frank discussion, and quite honestly something we (or at least I) never saw with the previous admin. They shared some numbers with us, that they asked to keep to ourselves. One thing I will say, is that the Nicholls St. game brought in more game revenue than Wake Forest. That surprised me. Not because Nicholls brough more fans, but I thought opening game would mean something to most people. Apparently it did not.

Anyway, as I said, this is a great idea, and it’s the 3rd year of it I believe, but the 1st year that I have been involved.

Feel free to send me compliments/complaints, and I will forward them along. Oh, and that brings up something else. If you see something going “not the right way” on game day. Call someone’s attention to it, so that they can attempt to fix it right there. They advertise a text number that anyone can send to, and explain what the problem is.
People do care about opening game. Scheduling it on a Thursday is a major mistake and this is proof of it. Was that pointed out at the meeting? Thanks.

As for talking to staff about problems that was done and they said they could do nothing.
We deserve so much better
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

This thread morphed from being outcheered into one which complained about everything that was wrong with the stadium. And the "wrong with the stadium" part has more replys than the "outcheered" part. Sounds like at lot of you aren't particularly enamored with Yulman.

This spring I moved our seats from sec 120 to sec 121, but in the same row (S). In 120 we were at the 25 yard line with a few rows behing us. Now in 121 we are at the 43 yard line with no rows behind us. Big difference with not only the yard line but also not having anyone sitting behind you. No one's knees in your back and if you want to stand up and stretch your legs, no problem with that. And, of course, for an afternoon game the sun is not "in your face".

But yes, there are problems with the concessions, and if the visitors fill up the majority of the west side, then the time at the half is not long enough to reload with your favorite beer, popcorn, soft drink or whatever.

But the thing I got most our of the second part is that some of you might actually miss the total package you get with the MB Superdome. Especially from those in Glazer who don't actually move to their seats on the east side. Or some (a lot) of those seats are not sold at all. For instance, at the kickoff for the Nicholls game I actually was able to count the number of seats occupied in section 210...12. :oops:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

windywave wrote:
noladave wrote: Oh, and that brings up something else. If you see something going “not the right way” on game day. Call someone’s attention to it, so that they can attempt to fix it right there. They advertise a text number that anyone can send to, and explain what the problem is.
But that is not as much fun as complaining on here
Not mutually exclusive!!!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

dave thanks for the update looks like Dannen is trying to be much more responsive to fan's concerns than the previous regime.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I asked specifically about the Thursday, and made the point that it is difficult to get a crowd on a school night, right before Labor Day weekend.

The decision is made in “partnership” with TV, and Tulane.

I think this falls into the personal preference category, and you aren’t going to appease everyone. Very much like the Saturday time for Baseball games - 2pm or 6/7pm??? We’ve been fighting that battle for years.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

noladave wrote:I asked specifically about the Thursday, and made the point that it is difficult to get a crowd on a school night, right before Labor Day weekend.

I think this falls into the personal preference category, and you aren’t going to appease everyone. Very much like the Saturday time for Baseball games - 2pm or 6/7pm??? We’ve been fighting that battle for years.
2PM... Baseball should be played under sunshine as God intended it. (Also on natural grass, but that's a separate issue).
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

noladave wrote:I asked specifically about the Thursday, and made the point that it is difficult to get a crowd on a school night, right before Labor Day weekend.

Thanks.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote: People do care about opening game. Scheduling it on a Thursday is a major mistake and this is proof of it. Was that pointed out at the meeting? Thanks..
Or, maybe pointing out that the fanbase is pretty evenly divided on the Thursday/Saturday issue, as evidenced by reactions in the original threads when the game this year (as well as a couple of years back) were first announced as being moved to Thursday.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I would bet a good deal that it made a 2-3K difference in attendance.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Poseidon wrote:I would bet a good deal that it made a 2-3K difference in attendance.
Fine. I'll take the tradeoff for more time off between weeks 1 and 2. Especially in years where we aren't playing FCS in week 2. Start winning, build a fanbase, and then it won't make much of a difference in attendance.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:
wavedom wrote: People do care about opening game. Scheduling it on a Thursday is a major mistake and this is proof of it. Was that pointed out at the meeting? Thanks..
Or, maybe pointing out that the fanbase is pretty evenly divided on the Thursday/Saturday issue, as evidenced by reactions in the original threads when the game this year (as well as a couple of years back) were first announced as being moved to Thursday.
It the profit difference, clearly shows there's a preference. Furthermore a split between a couple of dozen people isn't nearly a large enough sample size to make a determination from.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Just win, baby.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I think most of us understand the valid reasons to play or not to play on Thursday. The Athletic deparment chose TV over attendance. I just which it was't against such an attractive opponent. Play FIU, UAB, or Tulsa. Not one of our most attractive home games.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

When the game was announced it didn't have anything to do with TV-
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/2 ... h=football
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:When the game was announced it didn't have anything to do with TV-
True, but I am pretty sure they knew it would be on. I was just a question whether ESPN or CBSS would pick it up.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:When the game was announced it didn't have anything to do with TV-
True, but I am pretty sure they knew it would be on. I was just a question whether ESPN or CBSS would pick it up.
It would have also been picked up if we originally scheduled it on Saturday.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Perhaps.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Perhaps.

Actually there's no perhaps about it. The article clearly states that by contract our non-conference home games will get picked up by one of them. Doesn't matter when it was scheduled. So we could have chosen Saturday and it would have been picked up for TV by one of them.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Perhaps.

Actually there's no perhaps about it. The article clearly states that by contract our non-conference home games will get picked up by one of them. Doesn't matter when it was scheduled. So we could have chosen Saturday and it would have been picked up for TV by one of them.
CBS or internet ESPN3.... let me think which is better...
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Cbssn On a Thursday when we were arguably the marquee game nationally, versus ESPN3 on a Saturday against a full slate of games, may both qualify As “on TV”, but they aren’t the same thing
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

So I think we've boiled down to that nobody much cares that Nicholls brought more fans, just that they did and it was a Saturday game. Opponent who travels well, check! Saturday game, check! Victory for Tulane, check! Money maker, check!

Check, Check, Check, Check, Cha-ching. Let's follow this formula.

Teams who have typically traveled well to play us: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Nicholls, USL, Houston.

Although I think the Houston numbers last year were because Major Applewhite is a native from Bataan Rouge. So that was probably a lot of his people.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

add Southern to that list, if memory serves they brought a good contingent of fans to the games. And that great band. Oh and Texas in the Dome was huge.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Wait, so y'all are saying we get a lot of visiting fans from teams around the gulf south who have a short drive to party in New Orleans and see their teams?!?

Paging Captain Obvious.
Last edited by PeteRasche on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Pete, that's not always the case. Some regional teams don't have fan bases that travel that well
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

GreenieBacker wrote:And that great band.
Always a fan of getting more HBCU bands in Yulman. ALWAYS. Human Jukebox puts on the best show of any band from Baton Rouge.